I have an investment transfer that was entered by mistake and I can't delete it.

Bill49
Bill49 Member ✭✭
I had just entered a transfer from my IRA to my Roth, a Roth conversion. The next transaction was supposed to be a Misc Exp in the IRA. But somehow it got entered as a Misc Exp from the IRA transferring into the Roth. I want to delete it but I can't. When I try it says "this transaction was created as a transfer to an investment transaction" and tells me I must go to the source transaction using the "go to matching transfer" from the Edit button. If I right click it says "go to transfer", not "go to matching transfer". but it's brings me to the Roth and I try to delete it there and I get the same error. If I press Edit from either account there is no go to matching transfer in the dialog box. No where except the error message do I see anything about a source transaction. I tried voiding the transaction, same message. Just as a test, I tried to delete the Roth conversion and I get the same message.

I was trying to reconcile and the balance wasn't right because of this funny transaction. And now I can't really reconcile because I can't get rid of this error transfer.

Any ideas? Quicken 2014 H & B

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    I suggest you restore a recent backup saved before you entered the problematic transactions.
  • Bill49
    Bill49 Member ✭✭
    I could do that from yesterday's backup. but then I will have to reenter dozens of transactions and price updates that I entered today. Surely there is a way to delete this incorrect transaction????
  • Bill49
    Bill49 Member ✭✭
    The error messages don't make a lot of sense to me. "this transaction was created as a transfer to an investment transaction". Do they mean investment account? Or is this some kind of nested transaction? How do I find the source transaction if nested? Then where do I find "go to matching transfer" on or in the edit button?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Bill49 said:
    I could do that from yesterday's backup. but then I will have to reenter dozens of transactions and price updates that I entered today. Surely there is a way to delete this incorrect transaction????
    You could try a Copy and Validate or seeing if you can edit the transaction into an Action that you are able to delete (right-click and select Edit).

• Bill49
    Bill49 Member ✭✭
    Unfortunately, I tried those things and it didn't help. After validating I still can't delete and I also can't enter after making any changes to the transaction. So I'm using the backup and reentering everything from yesterday.

I know the cause of the bad entry. I entered the real transfer transaction and when I changed to Misc Exp, the transfer account remained populated from the previous transaction and became part of the Misc Exp transaction. I figured this out by watching carefully when I reentered. Why that makes it undeletable and why the source transaction cannot be found is beyond me.

Also, Q2014 has a major memory leak. Every transaction causes the memory usage to go up and it never goes down again unless I close and reopen Q. Eventually Q will crash when entering a transaction and although the transaction always seems to be there it may be corrupt. I did see once when entering a reinvestment of dividend, and long and short term gains that Q crashed and only one of those three transactions was entered. Someday I'll report this on a separate post.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    Bill49 said:
    Unfortunately, I tried those things and it didn't help. After validating I still can't delete and I also can't enter after making any changes to the transaction. So I'm using the backup and reentering everything from yesterday.

I know the cause of the bad entry. I entered the real transfer transaction and when I changed to Misc Exp, the transfer account remained populated from the previous transaction and became part of the Misc Exp transaction. I figured this out by watching carefully when I reentered. Why that makes it undeletable and why the source transaction cannot be found is beyond me.

Also, Q2014 has a major memory leak. Every transaction causes the memory usage to go up and it never goes down again unless I close and reopen Q. Eventually Q will crash when entering a transaction and although the transaction always seems to be there it may be corrupt. I did see once when entering a reinvestment of dividend, and long and short term gains that Q crashed and only one of those three transactions was entered. Someday I'll report this on a separate post.
    If you haven't already, you may want to confirm you're using the latest update to Quicken 2014 (R10 in the US and R4 in Canada): select Help > About Quicken   If you're not, you may download and apply the appropriate patch from: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html
  • Bill49
    Bill49 Member ✭✭
    edited January 2022
    Wow, no. I'm only on Release R 1 (23.1.1.17). I guess it doesn't update automatically.

Can I jump straight from R1 to R10 or do I have to go through each step? I'm guessing with mondo I can go in one step but better to check first. thanks.

I hope this might solve several of the problems I have. Fingers crossed...
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    Bill49 said:
    Wow, no. I'm only on Release R 1 (23.1.1.17). I guess it doesn't update automatically.

Can I jump straight from R1 to R10 or do I have to go through each step? I'm guessing with mondo I can go in one step but better to check first. thanks.

I hope this might solve several of the problems I have. Fingers crossed...
    You may jump straight from R1 to R10.   The Release 10 Mondo patch should work.
  • Bill49
    Bill49 Member ✭✭
    Thanks. I did that and the update went smoothly.

I see it fixed one bug where on a 1920 x 1080 screen there was some incorrect display at the bottom of the register in the date column.

I still have the problem where the net worth report does not match net worth shown in the accounts tab.

I will have to wait until next month's statements to see if the memory leak has been fixed.

Thanks for the advice Sherlock and I will report back later.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Bill49 said:
    Thanks. I did that and the update went smoothly.

I see it fixed one bug where on a 1920 x 1080 screen there was some incorrect display at the bottom of the register in the date column.

I still have the problem where the net worth report does not match net worth shown in the accounts tab.

I will have to wait until next month's statements to see if the memory leak has been fixed.

Thanks for the advice Sherlock and I will report back later.
    First time you mentioned the net worth issue here. If you haven't already, you could try the Copy and Validate  at R10.  If the issue persists, I suggest you coerce Quicken to recalculate the investment transactions: open an investment register and press Ctrl + Shift + Z
  • Bill49
    Bill49 Member ✭✭
    "First time you mentioned the net worth issue here". Yes, well I have mentioned it in another post some time ago, but first time in this post. Guess I got excited that the upgrade might fix all the problems. I once figured out how to find the bad transactions that caused the problem and delete them and reenter them to fix the problem. But I've forgotten how I found them before. Something about shares I no longer hold and the Cash, Amount Invested and Cash + Invest columns not adding up right. I have a feeling this might have been caused when Q crashed due to the memory leak and the transaction looked okay but was corrupt. If it still crashes I will now delete the transaction it crashed on and reenter it. I'll try your other ideas and report back. I want to make backups before I try it.
  • Bill49
    Bill49 Member ✭✭
    I ran the Copy and Validate. Before I was off by $25K, all in one investment account. Afterwards I was off by less than a dollar. I'm pleased that this problem, after many years, has finally been noticed and addressed. But the Validate also gave me hundreds of transactions that I should check and delete and reenter. I don't have the time for that now and I think I should wait to see if the memory leak is solved first which means waiting until the January statements are out. So I reverted to the backup and I will postpone for now...
  • Bill49
    Bill49 Member ✭✭
    I entered the January statements and unfortunately the memory leak is still there. There weren't too many transactions this month. But the memory usage started at ~25MB and went up to almost 300MB and never went down.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Bill49 said:
    I entered the January statements and unfortunately the memory leak is still there. There weren't too many transactions this month. But the memory usage started at ~25MB and went up to almost 300MB and never went down.
    How large is the Quicken file?  
  • Bill49
    Bill49 Member ✭✭
    73 megabytes
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I definitely remember some memory leaks in some of the old versions of Quicken.  I don't remember the details now, but one was bad enough to crash Quicken when it exceeded about the 2GB limit.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    P.S. Quicken Subscription seems to have a completely different memory usage model now.

And after bringing up help (which uses the embedded Chrome web browser):

Signature:
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Bill49 said:
    73 megabytes
    300MB does seem a bit high for a 73MB file.  Its probably a good idea to save frequent backups and to recycle the process at least daily.  If the program does crash, I suggest restoring a backup of the Quicken file.
  • Bill49
    Bill49 Member ✭✭
    yes, and it creeps up a bit after each transaction, so definitely a memory leak.

I have backup software that backs up hourly so I can restore from any of those images. Good idea to do a restore after a crash. My former PC had 16 GB and usually ran 80% usage and up. I think the crash came when the RAM was full and not when Q hit some limit. My new PC has 64 GB and runs under 20% so it may never crash again. But now I monitor the task manager as I enter transactions and I can restart Q when the memory usage gets too high. The crash always happened just after I entered a transaction.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Quicken is a 32-bit application, so the most memory it can use is about 2GB no matter how much memory you have.  So depending on how bad the memory leak is, and what you are doing, it can still crash.
    Signature:
This discussion has been closed.