convert Q-98 files

I have some backups from Quicken 98 that I'd like to use with the latest verion: R37.66 After wasting far too many hours on Quicken's so-called Help pages, it appears the path is to first download Quicken 2004tand open the -98 files. Doing that invokes a conversion process that creates a directory. called Q98Files with many *.QDATA files
if I then try to open one of those files in the latest version, it in turn creates another directory "Q04Files". If I try to open one of those files, it create yet ANOTHER "Q04Files" directory. (Repeat, infinite loop.) It will however let me validate the file, and creates yet another directory named Validate and in it is file nameds QDATA.DF.

Answers

• Hello @Focus Research,

Thank you for coming to the Community with your questions and concerns, though I do apologize that you are having trouble converting your data file. 

I am not sure why any directories created by the software would cause an issue. You simply download and install 2004. Open the 98 files and it will convert them. You then validate the file and save a backup.

Uninstall 2004 and install 2013. Go through the same process of opening the backup you converted, validating, and saving a backup.

You have to go from 2004 to 2013. Then you can go to the most recent version. 

Hope this helps!

Thank you!

Quicken Alyssa

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    After you have opened the Quicken 98 formatted data set using Quicken 2004, the Q98Files sub folder should contain the original Quicken 98 formatted data sets and the converted data sets should be in Quicken 2004 format in the current folder.

After you subsequently open the Quicken 2004 formatted data sets using Quicken 2013,  the Q04Files sub folder should contain the original Quicken 2004 formatted data sets and the converted files should be in Quicken 2013 format in the current folder.

After you subsequently open the Quicken 2013 formatted data sets using the Quicken Subscription,  the Q13Files sub folder should contain the original Quicken 2013 formatted files and the converted files should be in Quicken Subscription format in the current folder.

If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken
This discussion has been closed.