CC-501 and Capital One

Options

Answers

• gbronc
    gbronc Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I have my first Capital One credit card and can't even get as far as entering my userid/password. Immediately get a CC-501 on the Add Account page before even entering userid. So suggestions of deleting, re-adding, etc. that normally work don't apply here. I've tried multiple Capital One services and they all immediately give CC-501. This sounds like a pretty bad and long lasting problem.
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @gbronc ,

I understand that you just got your Capital One Credit Card.

Have you logged into your Capital One Account online? Can you see the Credit Card Register online?

In order to add a New Account to Quicken, you must be able to see the Account online through your Browser other than Quicken. If you can't see the Account Activity online through your Browser, you won't be able to add the Account in Quicken.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• gbronc
    gbronc Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes, I see it online and have logged on multiple times to the Capital One account. To be clear here. I am getting the CC-501 BEFORE I even enter my userid and pw selecting Capital One Card Services.
  • gbronc
    gbronc Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    See screenshot of error before even entering user id
  • willieb
    willieb Member
    Options
    What happens is creation of new account but all transactions prior to 8/30/2021 are gone. Just a book entry of balance at that opening date. So I do have current balances but all the old history is gone. Was that the desired intent of this fix? Most probably would like a merge of old and new, not a truncation of old and start over.
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    gbronc said:
    See screenshot of error before even entering user id

Hi @gbronc ,

It seems that this is an ongoing problem.

Do you also have a Capital One Checking Account, as well?

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• texasblueline
    Options
    I have this Capital One connection issue, have tried all the troubleshooting suggestions here, but to no avail and I still can't connect for well over a month now. I am now having another unrelated connection issue with a Target card account that Quicken says is an ongoing issue they are working on, and that one is coming up on 2 weeks of no connection.

My question, is there a way to have some of my subscription fee refunded by Quicken since more than 10% of my yearly subscription so far has not worked as advertised on one account and now similar downtime looks to be close behind for a second account?

I have used Quicken since 1998 and I fully understand that sometimes an issue may arise for a few days while a fix is found, but to lose key features for over a month with no apparent end in sight is no longer a minor glitch. I don't think it is reasonable for Quicken to expect full subscription fees from users for a product if key features that impact the user's experience are not working as advertised for such a long period of time.
  • gbronc
    gbronc Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    @thecreator I have read every thread related to Capital One and the cc-501 and have 26 years of Quicken experience. Once again, I can't "reset" the account since it won't even let me set it up initially, except as a manual account. See screenshot I sent you. This is far worse than any bank connection issue I've seen in the past. I do not have a Capital One checking account, only one brand new credit card account. I have also installed the latest version of Quicken that was delivered to me yesterday.
  • StillNotHappy
    StillNotHappy Member ✭✭
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Followed the instructions and deactivated the account, tried to change the account name to match what my CapOne online account was titled, Reauthorize CapOne account repeatedly, But I still just get the CC-501 "don't call CapOne its not our problem" message. [Removed-Disruptive]
  • gbronc
    gbronc Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Started working today. When running another attempt this morning, I got an "allow firewall" access pop-up from Windows for Quicken and responded "Allow" and it is all working now. Not sure how I could have setup this firewall permission sooner, but it is all good now.
  • ropes
    ropes Member ✭✭
    Options
    this issue persists. None of the solutions work for me to get Capital One account authorized.
  • StillNotHappy
    StillNotHappy Member ✭✭
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Adding a new account and linking to the original one worked to get new transactions loaded once. I've not gone back to see if it's a lasting fix.
    I'm pretty disappointed with Quicken's (or their contractors?) slow response on these issues.(Charles Schwab + Capital One for me so far) [Removed-Disruptive]
  • Rick8
    Rick8 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @StillNotHappy - yes but you should not have to do this every time you want to download your transactions.  This is also true for Sallie Mae Bank.  The CEO's letter about the Schwab fiasco was just more BS.  I want to know that someone was fired for this. 
  • ropes
    ropes Member ✭✭
    Options
    Can someone from Quicken respond on whether they are actually still trying to fix this. i.e. looking at the submitted log files etc.
  • Marcopolo
    Marcopolo Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @"Quicken Alyssa" said:
    > Hello all, 
    >
    > Thank you all for taking the time to visit the Community and add to this discussion, though I apologize that you have been affected by this issue.
    >
    > We do still have an open alert on this issue, as @Sherlock so kindly pointed out above. However, I have seen many people have success connecting to different instances of Capital One. Capital One Card Services and Capital One Bank-New seem to be the most successful. 
    >
    > So first you would save a backup, and then you deactivate your Capital One account(s) if it is connected. If it is not connected, skip this step. Once you have disconnected accounts, go to the General tab in the account details box and erase the financial institution name and click Ok. Now you will go through the steps of adding an account, TYPE in "Capital", and choose a different instance as I mentioned above. Go through the Capital One authorization process and when the accounts are "found" you will want to make sure that the action column says LINK. Verify that it is linking to the correct account, and click Finish.
    >
    > Do let us know how this goes or if you have any questions or concerns on the process. 
    >
    >
    >
    > Quicken Alyssa

THIS WORKED! THANK YOU...
  • JMargS
    JMargS Member
    Options
    December 20, 2021 - I have worked with Quicken tech support who backed up data, deleted Quicken software, downloaded Quicken software. That didn't solve the issue. Next tech support disconnected from Capital One online and reconnected. That worked for a day. Now we're back to the same error code CC-901. HELP us please QUICKEN so we can continue to use your software!
  • George61
    George61 Member
    Options
    I am getting the CC-501 error with Capital One credit card.
    Reading all these posts, all I see is frustration and no long term solution.
    Please assist...
  • gbronc
    gbronc Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I've added two new credit cards to Quicken and immediately got a CC-501 in both cases. In chatting with Quicken support the solution was to create a new empty test.qdf file and add the credit card there. It then authenticated to Capital One successfully and activated Quicken download on the Capital One website saying it was working with Simplifi, their partner to make this work. I then went back to my main qdf file, attempted to re-connect Capital One again and this time it worked fine. This workaround got Capital One to recognize a new Quicken connection. If you logon to Capital One and don't see Quicken/Simplfi under Security/Linked Apps, Quicken will not work.
  • squatchlover
    squatchlover Member ✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Options
    this is still ongoing and it is December 28. [Removed - Rant]
  • gkoul
    gkoul Member
    Options
    One step download from Capital One 360 reports that my accounts have to be reauthorized. I have tried to do so MANY times, on different days, at different times, but I get the same error each time. Support person tried to tell me it is related to the 12/28/2021 alert. Trouble is, that alert makes it sound like an intermittent load dependent issue; my issue is perfectly reproducible, and has been manifest for many weeks. I am supposed to wait until the alert clears.... Hmmmm.
  • clarkevans
    clarkevans Member ✭✭
    Options
    I can log into my Capital One account. When I try to add it to Quicken, it walks me through everything as it should but when I hit AUTHORIZE it say it cannot connect to the Quicken servers. DO NOT call Capital One. CC501
  • jrdowdell
    jrdowdell Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @Quicken Alyssa said:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > Thank you all for taking the time to visit the Community and add to this discussion, though I apologize that you have been affected by this issue.
    >
    > We do still have an open alert on this issue, as @Sherlock so kindly pointed out above. However, I have seen many people have success connecting to different instances of Capital One. Capital One Card Services and Capital One Bank-New seem to be the most successful.
    >
    > So first you would save a backup, and then you deactivate your Capital One account(s) if it is connected. If it is not connected, skip this step. Once you have disconnected accounts, go to the General tab in the account details box and erase the financial institution name and click Ok. Now you will go through the steps of adding an account, TYPE in "Capital", and choose a different instance as I mentioned above. Go through the Capital One authorization process and when the accounts are "found" you will want to make sure that the action column says LINK. Verify that it is linking to the correct account, and click Finish.
    >
    > Do let us know how this goes or if you have any questions or concerns on the process.
    >
    >
    >
    > Quicken Alyssa

After having this issue for over a week, this fix "kinda" worked, with the noted exceptions below:
    My on-line setup to this account was gone in Quicken.
    I logged into my Cap One account and broke the link to Quicken in the "security" section.
    In Q, I could not "erase the financial institution" on the "general" tab as noted above, that is not a field that can be edited.
    So I created a "new account" and did select the "capital one bank - new" instance for the financial institution.
    After logging in and approving the link I was presented with an account selection window in Q, I selected "link to existing" and linked it to the already existing Venture account in Q and it worked, synced up properly, and so far has been fine.
    After doing this I went back to "edit account details" and on the "general" tab the financial institution had in fact changed and now says "capital one card - current"
  • kproth
    kproth Member
    Options
    Yikes. I got my CapOne accounts relinked, but it was a major pain. Not sure which of these items actually got it linked up properly. I started out in the "infinite loop" problem. Noted that I couldn't fully deactivate the accounts - as in, the Financial Institution was set and not editable; this same account would act like it's trying to show something under Downloaded Transactions but the pane stayed blank.

I applied the latest mondo patch from here - https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product. The auto-updates from within the app were stuck at 36.57 and wouldn't go to any of the 37.x versions.

Then I created new accounts in Quicken, and "moved" all existing transactions over (and clicked "ok" a couple thousand times to acknowledge I was moving Reconciled transactions). Then I deleted the original (now empty) accounts.

Then I Activated downloads for just my credit card, using the "Capital One Card - Current" option from the list of institutions -- but instead of offering to link to an existing account, it created a new account.

I then started from the Account List and tried linking up my Savings account - and this time it allowed me to link to the existing (new) account I had moved the savings transactions to.

Then, I deleted the newly-created credit card account that the online service activation created.

I then tried to deauthorize the credit card account (by attempting to link the credit card account, but I unchecked the Credit Card at the CapOne authorize page). After that, Quicken told me I had unlinked the Savings account from a "companion app" and offered to delete my savings account from Quicken; I said No thanks. And then I had to "reset" my Savings account online service to get it working again.

Finally, I cleared the Financial Institution name from the credit card account that I had created. And starting from the Account List, I "setup" my credit card again, by choosing the same "Capital One Card - Current" institution -- and this time, it finally allowed me to link to the existing quicken account for my credit card.

Now I just have to deal with the next reconcile to get caught back up to the right point in time.

Here's hoping it *stays* fixed.
  • McKev22
    McKev22 Member ✭✭
    Options
    > Hello all, 
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Quicken Alyssa

This worked for me! I deactivated my Capital One online account from within Quicken. Then I went into 'Account Details' for my Capital One account and in the General tab I was able to delete the previous name in the Financial Institution block. Clicked OK. Then went through the process again to add online access (for the millionth time). But this time it worked. The only change in the process this time was that Quicken asked what financial institution. I'm back in business now and downloading transactions. Hoping many of you have the same result.
  • djb73
    djb73 Member ✭✭
    Options
    > Hello all,
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Quicken Alyssa

These instructions worked for me. Among the various Capital One options, "Capital One Bank-New" was the option that worked for me, the first several Capital One choices did not. Let's hope it continues to work in the weeks, months ahead.
  • JSL
    JSL Member ✭✭
    Options
    Still not working for me. Trying to follow your instructions, there is not any way to "erase the financial institution name". That area is locked, and will not allow me to do that. If I continue thru the reauthorization process, I end up with a CC-501 endless circle. I have checking, money market, and credit card with CO.
  • parkes67
    parkes67 Member ✭✭
    Options
    > Hello all, 
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Quicken Alyssa

I have been trying to fix this for months. The above worked for me. Big THANKS Alyssa!!!
  • CJD57
    CJD57 Member
    Options
    I also have been getting the "CC-501: "Oops, We're having a problem" issue for over one month for my Capital One 360 accounts in Quicken. Here is the workaround that worked for me to reconnect my Quicken accounts to Capitol One (I have two 360 Accounts). I was able to determine this procedure based on three other posts in this discussion thread (thanks). Hope this is helpful for others.

Note: I did not have to delete the Capital One accounts from my Quicken.

1. Go to the Capital One site and, under "Security", Delink Quicken

Do the following for each Capital One account in Quicken:

2a. Edit Account Details > Go to Online Services tab
    2b. Click [Deactivate] under "online setup", if still connected

2c. Edit Account Details > Go to General tab
    2d. Erase the financial institution name and click [OK]
    (field may not be editable for all accounts)
    Note: I was only able to delete this field for one of my two accounts.

Just need to do this in Quicken with one of the Capital One accounts:
    *Must select the account where the financial institution name is blank*

3a. Edit Account Details > Go to General tab
    3b. Verify "financial institution" is blank
    3c. Go to Online Services tab
    3d. Click [Set Up Now] under "online setup"

Now, in Quicken, you will go through the steps of adding/linking the bank accounts from Capital One

4a. In the financial institution selection popup window, type in "Capital"
    -- search list is displayed
    4b. Select "Capital One - Current" (do not select "Capital One 360")
    Note: Others have had success with "Capital One Bank - New"

4c. Click [?button name?] to continue with the selected financial institution

Go through the Capital One authorization (login) process and when the bank accounts are found, verify the "Action" for each bank account listed

5. If you still have the account in Quicken, change "Action" column to "Link" and select appropriate Quicken account to be linked to the bank account

After appropriate Action is selected and verified for each account

6. Click [Finish]
    -- One Step Update runs and transactions are downloaded, if applicable
This discussion has been closed.