Can Schwab Express Web Connect get speeded up?

MrZipp
MrZipp Member ✭✭✭
Since the Schwab conversion from Direct Connect, my daily download takes 6-8 minutes. It used to be half of that. Even when I update transactions from just one institution, it is still slow. I keep thinking that I;m not the only one and that someone will turn the speed back up. Curious if this is the 'new norm'.

MrZipp

Comments

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Given my conviction that Express Web Connect is a kludge I've taken the prophylactic measure (without really knowing if it's effective or not) of changing my downloading process.  One Step Update now only includes the financial institutions that use Direct Connect.  This runs Lickety-split.
    Then I do my Schwab downloads (two User IDs and Passwords) by using Update now/Update transactions.  This approach seems faster to me, but I've never actually timed the process. 
    You might try this approach to see if it helps.
    The Express Web Connect downloads work differently than Direct Connect and I'd expect that it would be slower since there's more entities involved in the process, but there's always "local" issues too, like servers acting up, internet traffic, etc.
  • MrZipp
    MrZipp Member ✭✭✭
    Nice note, Tom and a good solution for you. I have 14 entities to DL from, and Schwab alone has 7 accounts. I only have 1 - Amex with 2 accounts that uses Direct Connect. Guess I'll just stay on the slow boat!
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe wherever the bottleneck is it will get resolved... Mine has been slow for a long time, even before the Schwab changeover but my Schwab account seems to be working.  One Step Update remains very slow..

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

• MrZipp
    MrZipp Member ✭✭✭
    I really believe this move for Schwab hurt my DL times. Before that, all was faster. I just hope there's a planned review of something that may address the performance. Like you, I'm an an almost 30 year Quicken user.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Let's see:
    Direct Connect:
    Quicken -> Financial institution's OFX server

Express Web Connect:
    Quicken -> Quicken Server -> Intuit Server -> financial institution's website

What could possibly be the difference, hmmm

The one advantage Express Web Connect has over Direct Connect for performance is for whatever reason Quicken can only make one Direct Connect connection at a time, whereas for Express Web Connect it can do them in parallel.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    THX @Chris_QPW... thx for your comments....  My OSU's was even very slow before the Schwab changeover from DC. I even took Schwab DC out of my OSU prior to the changeover and OSU was still slower that ever before. Downloading Schwab DC by itself was lightning fast.  Schwab now with EWC+ made OSU even slower on both my computers. All of my accounts are now EWC.  Not a major issue but warrants investigation I think... 

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I will say this about performance and any connection type, but especially Express Web Connect.  It varies greatly between financial institutions, and even between some user setups.

When people run into such slowdowns the first thing, they should do is isolate which financial institution(s) have the problem, by selecting them one at a time in One Step Update.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:
    I will say this about performance and any connection type, but especially Express Web Connect.  It varies greatly between financial institutions, and even between some user setups.

When people run into such slowdowns the first thing, they should do is isolate which financial institution(s) have the problem, by selecting them one at a time in One Step Update.
    Agree 100%... I have only 2 financial institutions and already tested that isolate process and theory as stated in my previous post.. numerous contacts with Bank, Schwab, and Quicken too.... slowness is not a major issue but is there... can't deny that...

This discussion has been closed.