Investment Performance Report for Quicken MAC? (40 merged votes)

Options
2»

Comments

• James CA
    James CA Member ✭✭
    Options
    Quicken staff are capable of explaining why they do or don't do something, so guesses such as some version of "they are too busy" don't cut it. If they are too busy working on other features, then maybe they need to hire more staff. The serious investment report deficiencies have now gone on for years. As noted by SVanDee Quicken has the data and algorithms. So why can't we have customizable dates for investment reports so, for example, so we could get the ROI for the life of a particular stock. Why can't we get portfolio reports for 20 months or 10 years? Seriously, how much staff time could it possibly take to enable these tweaks?
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    James CA said:
    Quicken staff are capable of explaining why they do or don't do something
    None of the moderators here are privy to the thinking inside the development team, so they actually can't provide a "why" answer. The product manager, Marcus, posts here occasionally - each time there is a new release -- and while he doesn't explain everything they are doing or where things are on the development roadmap, he occasionally answers a question which gives insight into their plans. You might try posting your question in the new 6.4 release thread to see if he'll respond.

James CA said:
    Seriously, how much staff time could it possibly take to enable these tweaks?
    I have no idea, but I suspect it's more than a little "tweak". 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jon857
    jon857 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Sorry but the need for a MAC IRR report is obvious. My gosh it was a standard report in QM2007. The token tool in the portfolio window does not provide an answer to meet the need. Maybe instead of adding fancy page graphics & other window dressing to QM2022 subscription some development time should be dedicated to this and the rest of the suite of investment reports. This is after all why we now pay a yearly subscription fee so that these needs can be addressed in a timely;y fashion for a change.
  • jacobs
    Options
    @jon857 Can you explain more what you're looking for in an IRR report beyond what you can get from the four IRR values available in the Portfolio? Is it just about being able to define the date range, or something else? 

By the way, I agree that creating new investments reports, which can have date ranges and other parameters set, and can be saved like other reports, is highly desirable. The problem with assuming that because Quicken is now an annual subscription and they should address such a need is that they have over 600 user-requested features from this forum alone, so whatever features they do add make some people happy and others unhappy. It's hard to be patient with the slow pace of change, but over time, hopefully, everyone sees some of their top wishlist items addressed.
  • Tom Tolles
    Tom Tolles Member ✭✭
    Options
    Hi Jacobs,

Yes, there a few additions to the current IRR reporting. First and foremost, I want to be able to define the date range. For instance, I want to compare the performance of Investment A vs. Investment B over same period or over different periods. In both cases, the time range of interest may be different than the pre-determined ranges in the Portfolio Window.

Separately, I would also like to get IRR for closed out positions so that I can compare an investment made in the past compared to a current one.

It is frustrating knowing the data is all contained inside of Quicken for Mac. I know I can export all of the data out to excel and run an XIRR command though that process is both clunky and full of its own little challenges.

Thank you,
    Tom
  • Credentialed
    Credentialed Unconfirmed, Member
    Options
    The core issue here is not being able to have a complete view of total investment performance, including dividends, interest, distributions, etc... I was on Quicken Windows for a long time and this was covered there. Switched to Mac and now the Quicken Subscription for Mac lacks all of these features. I have had to subscribe to www.sharesight.com in order to get all the features I used to have. Really annoying.
  • dal68
    dal68 Member
    Options
    Can't even get gain/loss report when sell stock? - when will Quicken for Mac add reports that are available in Quicken Windows?
  • jacobs
    Options
    You can indeed get many investment reports in Quicken Mac, but it's un-intuitively not through Reports — you do it via the Portfolio screen. If you're looking for Realized Gains YTD, in the left sidebar, select the specific account, or account group (e.g. Brokerage or Retirement), or all investment accounts by clicking Investing. Click on the Portfolio tab. Set the filters to Realized Gain and By Security. The table should show any realized gains. You can print this as a report. (This works for any calendar year, depending on the "as of" date, so if you wanted to see your gains from 2021, se the date to 12/31/21)

Another approach is to use the Tax Schedule report tp show your Short- and Long-Term capital gains. This allows you to cover any period of time by supplying a start and end date. It defaults to open taxable accounts (e.g. brokerage, not retirement, accounts, and no closed accounts), but you can change which accounts are included in the report set-up. (The Tax Schedule report by default includes a lot of data you may not want to see at this time, like dividend and interest income; you can eliminate these extraneous items by limiting the Categories in the report.) The long-term capital gains from security sales will show up in the Schedule D section of the report.

That said, of course the developers can… and should… and hopefully will… make it easier to generate and save investment reports. I'm just trying to help you get the data you want with the tools we currently have. ;) 
  • Steve29
    Steve29 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

It's beyond crazy that Quicken Mac doesn't offer more robust investment reports in 2023. All I want to know is "how are my investments doing?". The best I can do is show IRR for 5 years. Or % gain. Why can't I display total gain? Why can't I see IRR for any amount of time? Why isn't there a basic investment performance report. All of this is available in other versions of Quicken and was in Q2007 — 15 years ago.

• jacobs
    Options

@Steve29 You can show total gain: set your Portfolio filter to "Portfolio Value" — not "Performance" — and Gain is one of the available columns.

And yes, we're all still waiting for better performance metrics and reports for investments.

• chucksav
    chucksav Member ✭✭
    Options

Well, it's 2024 and Quicken for Mac still can't generate a report of portfolio value over time. This is beyond frustrating.

• Fast Eddy
    Fast Eddy Member ✭✭
    Options

I agree. Investment performance tracking would be great. I enter every investment transaction, but I still have no idea what my rate of return is over a period of time. Seems like a simple calculation Quicken for Mac could work into a report. I'm ready. Lets see it!

• jacobs
    Options

@chucksav @Fast Eddy You're both correct about the lack of any progress on the investment report front, and I truly hope we'll see that progress in 2024.

That said, some of what you're seeking is, well, somewhat available…

Quicken for Mac still can't generate a report of portfolio value over time. 

True. But, you can set the Portfolio graph for any of 10 time periods, and see the portfolio value over time in the graph, even though it's not available in report form. In the graph, you can click and drag between any two dates to see the change in value over that time. And you can take a screen shot and print it, if you want something printed. I'm not saying this is the same as a report; I'm just suggesting that there is a way to see the change in value of a single account, group of accounts, or all account s using the graph.

Another alternative to seeing value changes over time is to use the Net Worth report. Open a Net Worth report, click Edit, set the time range you want, and click Accounts to select the account or accounts you want to see over time. Then set Interval to the time period you want, from a week to a year, and you'll have a report showing the values at each of those intervals for the time range you specified.

I still have no idea what my rate of return is over a period of time. Seems like a simple calculation Quicken for Mac could work into a report.

You can find this in the Portfolio view, with some constraints. Select the account or accounts you want to see. Set the gist filter to Performance. Set the second filter to be by account or by security. Then set the columns to show either/or ROI or IRR for a period of 1 year, 3 years, 5 years or YTD (or, for ROI, total for all time). This doesn't allow you to pick your own date range, but it does enable you to have some data for the performance of your investments. And this can be printed as a report. =

Again, I'm not suggesting investment reporting is where it needs to be. Robust investment reports are in my Top 5 list of feature wishes for Quicken Mac. I'm only pointing out ways you can get some information about your investments while we wait.