Quicken Mac screens not updating correctly anymore

cyril4j
cyril4j Member ✭✭
With the last couple of upgrades, Quicken Mac screens do not update correctly for me anymore, e.g.:
1) if I delete a transaction row, the row will stay there blank/ghost until I move away from that account register and come back to refresh the view
2) same thing if I merge a transaction with another
3) also if I create a new account manually, it doesn't show in the list of accounts. If I create more, it creates #2 #3 so it's creating but the screen is not refreshed to show them somehow.
Please confirm all those are known issues you're working to fix asap.
Let me know if you need additional information.

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @cyril4j  Could you post what version of macOS you are using? I cannot replicate any of the behaviors you describe, and I have not seen anyone else posting about these issues. Hopefully someone else will chime in if they're seen any of these refresh issues.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Blastphemy
    Blastphemy Unconfirmed ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    I have this exact same problem. Ever since I updated to the un-beta tested 6.4.5, clicking on + New Transaction doesn't show the new transaction line, and all sorts of things aren't being updated just as cyril4j reported. I have Mac OS Big Sur 11.6.1.
  • Blastphemy
    Just after I sent in a bug report through the application, Quicken actually crashed on me! I submitted the crash report to Quicken. (I attached the very long crash report as a PDF to this reply.)

Strangely, after Quicken's crash, the interface now updates properly with + New Transaction, Delete transaction, etc.! So now I can't provide any more help with this because it's actually working for me.

Note that quitting the program multiple times didn't resolve this, nor did restarting the computer. Only experiencing that strange crash did the trick.
  • garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    1 Quicken Mac 6.4.5 was beta tested, as are all Quicken updates and releases. 

2 Did you try to re-install 6.4.5?  I have that version and have zero issues whatsoever.  
  • Blastphemy
    You are incorrect. QMac 6.4.4 was beta tested. 6.4.5 was not.
  • garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    You may not have beta tested it...but I can guarantee you some users did.  
  • jacobs
    You may not have beta tested it...but I can guarantee you some users did.  
    Guarantee or not, you're wrong about that. ;) Not all bug fix releases go through beta testing. We're not allowed to discuss beta testing in the public forum, but take it from those of use who beta test that there was no beta test of the 6.4.5 release.
  • cyril4j
    cyril4j Member ✭✭
    Sorry for the delay, I didn't get email notifications of responses somehow...
    I now have upgraded to Monterey 12.0.1 and Quicken 6.4.5.
    The same issue persists. If I merge/duplicate transactions I don't see the result until I click on another account and then back to that account.
    Any ideas?
  • Quicken September
    Quicken September Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello, @cyril4j.

Thank you for reaching back out to us with your update, though I am sorry to hear that you are still experiencing these issues. Could you please update to the current version of Quicken to see if updating will resolve this issue? You may do this by navigating to Quicken in the menu bar and then selecting Check for Updates. 

If this does not resolve your issue, please Save a Backup and uninstall and reinstall Quicken. Once you have tried these steps, please let us know the results so that we may provide you with additional support if necessary. Thank you and have a wonderful day!

-Quicken September 
  • Quicken September
    Quicken September Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    Hello, @cyril4j

As an addition to my suggestion, please take screenshots of and report any error messages you may get receive if/when you do reinstall. There is an issue that we are currently investigating and we need as much documentation as possible so please let us know if you get any errors throughout this process!

FAQ: How do I post a screenshot in the Community from a Mac?

If needed, please refer to this Community FAQ for instructions on how to attach a screenshot. Alternatively, you can also drag and drop screenshots to your response if you are not given the option to add attachments. Thank you and have a great day!
  • cyril4j
    cyril4j Member ✭✭
    I upgraded to 6.5.1 and then when I tried to sync it said I had to reset the data with Quicken Cloud. It worked on that for a bit and then now keep reporting a bunch of "Transaction Sync Error" "Warning" "We had a problem syncing this Transaction" "Please try again. If the error persists, contact Quicken Support" "General Error"

I submitted a couple of reports to the Quick development team which I hope you can correlate from the information below:

$app_build_number: 605.42638.100
    $app_version_string: 6.5.1
    $model: iMac19,1
    $os_version: 12.0.1
    $screen_height: 1440
    $screen_width: 2560
    aggregator: FDP
    app_bundle_identifier: com.quicken.Quicken
    clientDocumentId: 417E0FDB-BC27-46A6-A0EF-BAE09EE710C0
    cloudStatus: 32
    current_appearance: light
    current_version_crash_count: 0
    dataset_creation_date: 2022-01-04 04:05:40 +0000
    dataset_id: 307764505663101440
    dataset_platform: QMAC
    date (GMT): 2022-01-04 04:08:45
    date (PST): 2022-01-03 20:08:45
    document_qcs_id: 32574707691267072
    documentDisplayName: bouteille.quicken
    documentUserId: 32574707691267072
    documentUserName: cyril4j@gmail.com
    early_access: 0
    installation_id: ECC15D6B-22BC-48E9-A93C-02689D4DE19C
    last30days_crash_count: 0
    last48hours_crash_count: 0
    localTimeZone: America/Los_Angeles (PST)
    mp_device_model: iMac19,1
    rawAggregatorPref: fdp
    receiptUserId: 32574707691267072
    receiptUserName: cyril4j@gmail.com
    subscriber: Subscribed
    syncNewAccounts: 1
    system_appearance: light
    systemTimeZone: America/Los_Angeles (PST)
    tier: Deluxe
    tier_country: US
    total_crash_count: 0
    userTypeV2: WINBACK_LEGACY

errors count: 1

error #1
    level: 2 (Debug = 0, Critical = 6)

description:
    Quicken cloud transaction services error.

suggestion:
    Try again later.

system description:
    Unable to create QCSTransaction from transaction

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Please advise.
  • cyril4j
    cyril4j Member ✭✭
    I tried uninstalling and re-installing Quicken but it failed to load my file as your quicken.com site download is serving 6.4.5 and my file is now 6.5.1, so I had to run an update after the re-install.
    I could then reload my file, but when I sync it said "only the latest version of a file can use Quicken Cloud" offering me the option to "Reset Quicken Cloud" again.
    It seems to have worked this time without error and I now I can see the account ledger updated in real time when I make a duplicate/delete/merge operation.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    cyril4j said:
    I tried uninstalling and re-installing Quicken but it failed to load my file as your quicken.com site download is serving 6.4.5 and my file is now 6.5.1, so I had to run an update after the re-install.
    I could then reload my file, but when I sync it said "only the latest version of a file can use Quicken Cloud" offering me the option to "Reset Quicken Cloud" again.
    It seems to have worked this time without error and I now I can see the account ledger updated in real time when I make a duplicate/delete/merge operation.
    @cyril4j,

Thank you for checking in with us and keeping us updated. I am a little unclear - were you able to get the issue resolved after uninstalling and reinstalling Quicken Mac?

Thanks,

Quicken Jared 
  • cyril4j
    cyril4j Member ✭✭
    After all the issues described, yes, in the end the issue seems to be resolved now after re-install and reset quicken cloud.
  • cyril4j
    cyril4j Member ✭✭
    I have this problem again today with Version 6.5.1 (Build 605.42638.100). I'm not sure what triggers it yet...
  • cyril4j
    cyril4j Member ✭✭
    Hello, I keep getting error notices to reset Quicken Cloud with Transaction Sync Errors. It eventually seems to get back on its feet, and then the screens don't update again, and then it eventually works again for a while but then it gets corrupted again. Is there any fix or work around?
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    cyril4j said:
    Hello, I keep getting error notices to reset Quicken Cloud with Transaction Sync Errors. It eventually seems to get back on its feet, and then the screens don't update again, and then it eventually works again for a while but then it gets corrupted again. Is there any fix or work around?
    @cyril4j,

Thank you for your patience and your continued effort in following up with me about this problem. I am sorry that it continues to trouble you. I have a couple of questions before I make any further recommendations. Firstly, where are you keeping this active data file at the moment? Are you opening it from somewhere on your computer, such as your desktop or your documents folder? You can track the data file's location by going to File > Show Backups in Finder in the menu at the top of the screen while Quicken is open.

Secondly, do you remember when your Quicken software last updated? Was this some time around the 14th of January, 2022? 

I look forward to your replies and hope to continue working with you on this.

Thanks,

Quicken Jared 
  • cyril4j
    cyril4j Member ✭✭
    Hi Jared, the file in on an external hard drive connected via USB-C and synchronized to Google Drive.
    I am puzzled by this message "only the latest version of a file can use Quicken Cloud" - do you think the last version of quicken somehow gets confused by Google Drive Sync?
    From the history on this thread, it seems I updated to 6.5.1 on Jan 3rd.
  • jacobs
    I would definitely try getting your data file into a location where it is purely local and not touched by any cloud service. Cloud service syncing is known to cause all sorts of strange results because of the way blocks of a data file are moved.

Quicken's default location is in your User folder > Library > Application Support > Quicken. (To access the Library in your User folder, in the Finder you must hold down the Option key while selecting the Go menu, otherwise it's invisible. If you want to make your User Library always visible, in the Finder navigate to your User folder — the one which shows Music, Movies, Pictures, etc. Pull down the View menu, and select Show View Options. In the panel which pops up, click  the checkbox next to Show Library Folder.)

That said, there's nothing magic about Quicken's default location; you can use your own, as long as it's not a folder that's actually stored on iCloud or another cloud service. If you have iCloud Drive storing your Desktop and Documents folders, you don't want to put it in those locations. You can check the status of and turn off iCloud Drive from storing your Desktop and Documents folders on iCloud, should you wish, in System Preferences. But if you like having iCloud store those folders, just pick a different location. The location I recommend is creating a Quicken folder — actually moving your existing Quicken folder to your User folder (e.g. the one which shows Music, Movies, Pictures, etc.). This is an easy location to get to, and it's not stored on iCloud.
This discussion has been closed.