Updates invariably generate an error message

hatethispgm
hatethispgm Member ✭✭
I am running Quicken Home for Windows 10, ver 36.38. When agree to installation of an update, I invariably get an error: "The process cannot access the file 'C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Inet\Common\patch\quickenPatch\w3619\base\RPMMigration\MigrationTool.exe' because it is being used by another process.

Although this is a new PC, I had the same problem with my old one (although sometimes different files were specified).

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    The error may be caused by anti virus or anti malware programs interfering with the update.  I suggest you disable such programs while you perform the update.
  • hatethispgm
    hatethispgm Member ✭✭
    It seems to be a bad idea to disable anti-virus/malware when installing a program that has access to all my financial data. I should not have to do this--Quicken is the only software company (of the many I use) that is unable to write updates with working installers. For the record, I just tried again and got a different file listed as the culprit: '...[as above... quickenPatch\w3619\base\ScreenShare\Quicken.Screeenshare.exe'
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    It seems to be a bad idea to disable anti-virus/malware when installing a program that has access to all my financial data. I should not have to do this--Quicken is the only software company (of the many I use) that is unable to write updates with working installers. For the record, I just tried again and got a different file listed as the culprit: '...[as above... quickenPatch\w3619\base\ScreenShare\Quicken.Screeenshare.exe'
    If you're able to update Quicken when you disable your anti-virus/malware software, you'll have confirmed the source of the issue you are having and you may report the issue to the anti-virus/malware company.  Hopefully, they'll address their issue soon but, in the meantime, you'll have a work around.
  • OsbornTV
    OsbornTV Member ✭✭
    I've gotten a similar error message trying to update to v37.67 and I had my AV protection off. "An error occurred - the update failed to install. Access to the path 'C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Inet\Common\patch\quickenPatch\w3624\base\ScreenShare\cef.pak.tmp' is denied."
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    OsbornTV said:
    I've gotten a similar error message trying to update to v37.67 and I had my AV protection off. "An error occurred - the update failed to install. Access to the path 'C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Inet\Common\patch\quickenPatch\w3624\base\ScreenShare\cef.pak.tmp' is denied."
    If you haven't already, I suggest you perform a clean uninstall, install and update.  If you haven’t already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken 
This discussion has been closed.