Deleting Update (Patch) Files

While looking through the files on my computer, I find there are a whole lot of previous update files, or Patch files, some from many months ago. And they take up a lot of space. Can these files be safely deleted after the update has been installed? I would like to get rid of some of these large files.

Comments

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @TJStringer

The answer is Yes they can be deleted with no adverse effects.  There is no need to keep those files, and if you ever were to want to return to a prior version, there are places that you can get those versions.  Just return here to this forum and someone will help you,

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to make sure that we are talking about program update files, what is the name of couple of these files?

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Frankx said:
    Hi @TJStringer

The answer is Yes they can be deleted with no adverse effects.  There is no need to keep those files, and if you ever were to want to return to a prior version, there are places that you can get those versions.  Just return here to this forum and someone will help you,

Frankx
    Seems to put a lot of faith that there will always be some third-party saving these for people.
    Personally, I don't have that kind of trust.

With that being said what to save is something that can be discussed since in reality for the most part once you are satisfied with a given release that is probably the only patch that you need for that "year version/subscription".

But I echo @splasher's statement because I seriously doubt that he is talking about "patches" even though he is using that term.

Patches that are automatically downloaded do not "stick around".  One would have to be manually downloading patches from either some announcements on this site or from:
    Update and Mondo Patch: Subscription Release of Quicken for Windows

And if that was the case, I think what to save might already be "known".

I'm guessing that in fact we are talking about backups of the data file instead.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.