updating quicken 2016 to latest version

imabill
imabill Member ✭✭
I use quicken now on 3 computers. One of them is new last week without quicken on it. The other 2 have 2016 deluxe for windows.
Should I buy new and install it on new computer first and use a usb to restore new computer? Then, how would I get the new quicken on the old computers. My age and experience with computers is somewhat limited.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you
imabill

Comments

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not clear if you want to continue using Q2016 or if you want to use the new "subscription" version.
    If you're happy with Q2016 and still have your install media (disk or download) then you should be able to install Q2016 on the new computer, use the mondo patch that gets you to the same version as you're running on all your other computers
    and then simply get your data files onto the new computer.
  • imabill
    imabill Member ✭✭
    thank you for the input. I have tried to install the 2016 on new computer put as it starts to open the screen goes blank. Tried several times. I think quicken has disabled something in the old version. I think I should upgrade to the newer version. Should I purchase it and download on one of the old computers now using 2016 deluxe as an upgrade? Sorry for the bother. I am not the best with computers.
    thank you
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I just installed Quicken Windows 2016 Deluxe on a machine as a test and had no problems.

Are you talking about the screen going blank when Quicken starts, or the install.
    If you are talking about when Quicken starts, make sure that you download and install that last Mondo patch before starting Quicken.  You will need to then log in with your Quicken Id.
    http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quicken-2016-patches.html

If the problem is during the install you might want to try the QCleanUI procedure (and removing the old Quicken folders) from this article and trying again.
    Using QcleanUI to Fix Installation Issues with Quicken for Windows
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • imabill
    imabill Member ✭✭
    chris thanks, I think the problem is that quicken may have disabled my disc as they have been trying to get me on to the new quicken upgrade. When the install disk is now installed and I try to enter my ID and password the message "an unknow error has incurred. Try later".
    Should I delete the copy that I just loaded in the new computer and get the newest download. If so should I download onto one of the older computers now running 2016 or on to the new computer and try to update the older computers later? Again sorry for the problem that I am giving you.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    imabill said:
    chris thanks, I think the problem is that quicken may have disabled my disc as they have been trying to get me on to the new quicken upgrade. When the install disk is now installed and I try to enter my ID and password the message "an unknow error has incurred. Try later".
    No - I don't think the Quicken secret police have gone and "disabled" your CD...
    BUT - Quicken went thru a major change in the last several years - and was split and sold from old parent Intuit...
    Therefore, your "ID and Password" don't exist anymore....
    and as mentioned above, you will need the lastest 2016 Mondo Patch to circumvent that transition....

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• imabill
    imabill Member ✭✭
    I have clicked on the patch as recommended by chris. Nothing seems to happen. Can you give me the steps please
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    imabill said:
    I have clicked on the patch as recommended by chris. Nothing seems to happen. Can you give me the steps please
    huh - his website lists the 2016 patches ....
    and if you click on the top 19.5 Mondo one -
    it goes to his remote Onedrive Cloud - and the EXE willl be downloaded to your computer ...

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• imabill
    imabill Member ✭✭
    So, with all of your help I think I am up and running. Thank you but please stand by======Who knows.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Quicken 2016 started life with the "Intuit Id", which of course no longer exists (server is gone).
    That is why you have to first install the last patch so that it will switch to connecting to the Quicken Id.
    Signature:
  • imabill
    imabill Member ✭✭
    Thank you I’m not sure I completely understand but now I have it working with new computer I’ll try tomorrow to see if the older computers will do the same. Once I was able to change password on new computer I was able to refresh it on a usb from pad computer.
    Again thanks very much to all Regret time and trouble you have provided this old man who’s knowledge is limited.
    Thanks again
    Bill
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Not a problem we’re happy to help.
    Signature:
This discussion has been closed.