How to handle Multiple data files

Woody O
Woody O Member
I have been using Quicken for Mac since 2005; Most recent version Quicken Mac 2017. My Late 2012 iMac is on the last supported OS, so, since I am not in a financial position to upgrade with Apple, my daughter gave me a Windows 10 (Home) computer that was my grandson's that was replaced with a laptop for college. I already purchased a subscription for Quicken for Windows. My concern is: In Quicken for Mac 2017 I have two data files. How do I move both data files without them merging?
Tagged:

Best Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    @Woody O In the migration from Quicken Mac to Quicken Windows, investment accounts not transfer. It works in the opposite direction, but the developers on the Quicken Windows team have never gone back to update the converter they created more than a dozen years ago (before investment accounts were added to the old 2010 Quicken Essentials code to form the core of the modern Quicken Mac program in 2014). My guess is that while there are a lot of Windows-to-Mac converters, there are relatively few people who want to do what you're doing to convert Mac to Windows.

There's no harm in trying an export from your Quicken 2017 and importing it into Quicken Windows. Quicken has simple instructions for how to do that here. If all your non-investment accounts come in fairly cleanly, then you can tackle what you want to do to re-create your investment accounts in Quicken Windows. You'd repeat the process for each separate Quicken Mac file, creating a New file each time in Quicken Windows before importing, in order to keep the files separate. 

Saved reports don't transfer. Attachments don't transfer. I don't think budgets get converted. You'll have a bit of a learning curve to get familiar with Quicken Windows. (And a bigger learning curve going from macOS to Windows, if you aren't an experienced Windows user.) 

If after doing the conversion of your main Quicken Mac file, you find it's going to be too big a project to get it cleaned up and correct, you can always decide to start a new file (starting with 1/1/22 is a good starting point) — but you'll lose all your existing data when you kill off your old Mac. 

One alternative you might want to consider if you're not adept at using Windows computers already, or you don't wan to face losing a lot of your financial history, or the prospect of moving from a larger iMac screen to a smaller laptop screen: look at buying a used Mac for a lot less money than a new one. A base model 2015 iMac could run between $300 and $450, or perhaps less if you purchase privately from a seller rather than a company which refurbishes and resells Macs. A late 2015 iMac can run every Mac operating system up tot he the current Monterey, and should last you a number of years. If that price is within reach, it might be easier to stay with what you know than switch. (Spoken as a true, lifelong Mac user, ha ha!) Your recently-purchased Quicken subscription will allow you to download and run the current Quicken Mac as well as Quicken Windows, so you wouldn't have to purchase it again. 

Best of luck, however you proceed.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jacobs
    Answer ✓
    Mac Minis are fine choices, and a 2015 or 206 model should meet your needs and and can run any operating system up through the current Monterey. I didn't mention a Mini initially because I didn't know if you had a monitor, keyboard and mouse to use with a Mac Mini. (It's worth having an Apple keyboard and mouse rather than a Windows keyboard, in my opinion.)

Apple didn't make many changes t the mini from 2012 through 2017; they're all considered third-generation Mac Mimi's, although they did improve the processor and video/graphics in the Late 2014 model. the next significant change came with the 2018 fourth-generaiton Mini, but I'm guessing you'll find a bit of a price difference between a 215 or 2016 Min and a 2018 Mini. 

For looking at used Macs, you may want to consider companies which resell used Macs rather than individuals on eBay. Their prices are likely a little higher than you might find on eBay, but you'd be getting a Mac that has been tested, and should come with at least a short warranty to give you confidence it's in working order. Companies like MacOfAllTrades.com and MacSales.com have been around for a long time, and there are many others if you search for refurbished Macs. 

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    re: 2 data files?  YES.  I have 4, 2 "production" and 2 for testing.
    BUT, the QMac to QWin conversion is error-fraught and nowhere as smooth as the QWin to QMac conversion ... so I'll let a QMac user discuss that and the potential pitfalls.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Woody O
    Woody O Member
    Thank You NotACPA. All my accounts are reconciled. Would you suggest I take a point in time, Say January 1, 2022, for each file and Manually start new data files in Windows to avoid the conversion errors?
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    A re-start as-of 1/1/22 is a reasonable plan.  Just reconcile each account after you create it (and the initial download) to insure that you got the "Opening Balance" correct.  It should be the 12/31/21 statement balance for the account PLUS any debits/charges that haven't cleared as-of 12/31 and MINUS any deposits that hadn't cleared.  Your 1/31/22 reconcile should result in $0

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• jacobs
    Answer ✓
    @Woody O In the migration from Quicken Mac to Quicken Windows, investment accounts not transfer. It works in the opposite direction, but the developers on the Quicken Windows team have never gone back to update the converter they created more than a dozen years ago (before investment accounts were added to the old 2010 Quicken Essentials code to form the core of the modern Quicken Mac program in 2014). My guess is that while there are a lot of Windows-to-Mac converters, there are relatively few people who want to do what you're doing to convert Mac to Windows.

There's no harm in trying an export from your Quicken 2017 and importing it into Quicken Windows. Quicken has simple instructions for how to do that here. If all your non-investment accounts come in fairly cleanly, then you can tackle what you want to do to re-create your investment accounts in Quicken Windows. You'd repeat the process for each separate Quicken Mac file, creating a New file each time in Quicken Windows before importing, in order to keep the files separate. 

Saved reports don't transfer. Attachments don't transfer. I don't think budgets get converted. You'll have a bit of a learning curve to get familiar with Quicken Windows. (And a bigger learning curve going from macOS to Windows, if you aren't an experienced Windows user.) 

If after doing the conversion of your main Quicken Mac file, you find it's going to be too big a project to get it cleaned up and correct, you can always decide to start a new file (starting with 1/1/22 is a good starting point) — but you'll lose all your existing data when you kill off your old Mac. 

One alternative you might want to consider if you're not adept at using Windows computers already, or you don't wan to face losing a lot of your financial history, or the prospect of moving from a larger iMac screen to a smaller laptop screen: look at buying a used Mac for a lot less money than a new one. A base model 2015 iMac could run between $300 and $450, or perhaps less if you purchase privately from a seller rather than a company which refurbishes and resells Macs. A late 2015 iMac can run every Mac operating system up tot he the current Monterey, and should last you a number of years. If that price is within reach, it might be easier to stay with what you know than switch. (Spoken as a true, lifelong Mac user, ha ha!) Your recently-purchased Quicken subscription will allow you to download and run the current Quicken Mac as well as Quicken Windows, so you wouldn't have to purchase it again. 

Best of luck, however you proceed.
  • Woody O
    Woody O Member
    :) This is none Quicken related: As a Mac User would you provide and opinion regarding 2015-2016 Mac Mini? As I look as available used Macs they seem to be the most reasonably priced. I could use the monitor for the PC with it. In fact, the the Monitor is an ASUS VG 425 High Definition Dual HDMI with built in stereo speakers. (I went to eBay and got outbid on two iMacs; All others had screen cracks)
    Thanks,
  • jacobs
    Answer ✓
    Mac Minis are fine choices, and a 2015 or 206 model should meet your needs and and can run any operating system up through the current Monterey. I didn't mention a Mini initially because I didn't know if you had a monitor, keyboard and mouse to use with a Mac Mini. (It's worth having an Apple keyboard and mouse rather than a Windows keyboard, in my opinion.)

Apple didn't make many changes t the mini from 2012 through 2017; they're all considered third-generation Mac Mimi's, although they did improve the processor and video/graphics in the Late 2014 model. the next significant change came with the 2018 fourth-generaiton Mini, but I'm guessing you'll find a bit of a price difference between a 215 or 2016 Min and a 2018 Mini. 

For looking at used Macs, you may want to consider companies which resell used Macs rather than individuals on eBay. Their prices are likely a little higher than you might find on eBay, but you'd be getting a Mac that has been tested, and should come with at least a short warranty to give you confidence it's in working order. Companies like MacOfAllTrades.com and MacSales.com have been around for a long time, and there are many others if you search for refurbished Macs. 
This discussion has been closed.