subscription

Options
SueLynn
SueLynn Member ✭✭
All of a sudden I can't do anything on Quicken ... because I have not renewed my subscription??? Really? This is ridiculous.

Best Answer

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @SueLynn That's correct.  You won't have to renew, or pay a "yearly fee" ... but about 1/4 of your Q screen will be taken up with a "nag message" to renew.  And the only way to remove that message is TO renew.
    Also note that, when the new version expires, you'll no longer receive program updates, data updates, or support from Quicken itself ... although this forum will still be available.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

Answers

• SueLynn
    SueLynn Member ✭✭
    Options
    I have been using Quicken for years and now all of a sudden I can't use my Quicken because I am not paying the subscription. What is going on???
  • Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    What level of subscription did you have?

If you had the Starter edition of Quicken, then yes that's what happens when your subscription runs out & you don't renew - your file becomes read-only. If you renew your subscription you regain access to your file. 

If you had a Deluxe subscription, you should still be able to work with your file but you would lose access to anything online. 

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    SueLynn said:
    I have been using Quicken for years and now all of a sudden I can't use my Quicken because I am not paying the subscription. What is going on???
    In older days, we purchased a copy of Quicken and then used it — without any updates or enhancements — until we purchased a new version of Quicken. Back in 2017, the company switched to a subscription model, where we buy a subscription and get continual updates and enhancements as soon as they are ready. It's better for them, because it smooths their income evenly over time, and it's better for customers because we get updates faster and not driven by marketing needing to tout new features. And in the process, they essentially raised the price, which is good for them and not good for customers. ;)

As @Jon wrote, if your subscription was for Quicken Deluxe or Quicken Premier, then if you choose to not renew your subscription, you can continue to use Quicken manually (e.g. no transaction downloads, society prices download, import of bank transactions) if that's good enough for your needs, and if you can live with Quicken stealing the right 25% of your Quicken window for an "ad" to renew your subscription. If you had the lowest level Quicken Starter subscription, you can still access Quicken to see your data, print reports, etc., but you can't enter anything. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • SueLynn
    SueLynn Member ✭✭
    Options
    So Jacob, if I want to be left alone by Quicken and not be hounded to subscribe I can purchase the Deluxe for $51.99 ( which looks like a yearly feee) and it will be mine and I won't have to subscribe or purchase another version?
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @SueLynn That's correct.  You won't have to renew, or pay a "yearly fee" ... but about 1/4 of your Q screen will be taken up with a "nag message" to renew.  And the only way to remove that message is TO renew.
    Also note that, when the new version expires, you'll no longer receive program updates, data updates, or support from Quicken itself ... although this forum will still be available.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Jon
    Options
    Also, if you shop around a bit you can often find the annual subscriptions on sale. 

• SueLynn
    SueLynn Member ✭✭
    Options
    Where would I shop around for an annual subscription on sale?
  • Jon
    Options
    If you just google "quicken subscription 1 year" you'll find what you're looking for pretty quickly.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    Be aware if purchasing a Quicken subscription from a retail site that some subscription packages are sold for new subscribers only, while others have no limitation. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.