Migration from quicken for windows to Mac, pros and cons!

Options
biehlpa
biehlpa Member ✭✭
I’ve been a quicken for windows user for 20 years, the last 10 on my MacBook on Windows using the Parallels software. I’m thinking of scraping windows and converting to quicken for Mac. I’ve got lots of investments going back years. For those of you that have made the conversion from from quicken for windows to quicken for Mac what did you like and what did you miss? Did you regret the move? Thanks

Best Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Anecdotally only, this was a post from a user yesterday in a different thread in which a user asked whether the Mac version was up to par with Quicken Windows:
    I discontinued use of the Windows version, and the Mac version is, in my opinion, much better at doing what I need to be done.  At first, the Mac version wasn't very good, but with all the different versions and upgrades over the years, I don't think I can do without it. 
    And this was what I wrote in that conversation:
    The Mac and Windows versions are more like cousins, not identical twins. So, no, they are not nearly identical. There are some things where Quicken Mac is arguably superior, and there are many things which are on a par (although in some cases things may be done a little differently). And there are still many features — some large, some small — which don't exist in Quicken Mac.

That said, it's not necessarily useful information.  Everyone uses Quicken differently, so whether Quicken Mac is a good enough solution depends on each individual's needs. Many Quicken Windows users have successfully and happily switched to using Quicken Mac; some Quicken Windows users have switched to Quicken Mac and find it lacking in some areas but good enough to meet their needs; and some some Quicken Windows users have tried Quicken Mac and found it lacking in areas significant enough that they cannot make the switch off Quicken Windows. 

Since you already have a Mac and a Quicken subscription, you can download Quicken Mac for free and try it out for yourself. I believe that's really the only way to determine whether or not it will suit your needs. You may need some clean-up after the conversion of your data, and there is definitely a learning curve in acclimating to Quicken Mac, but if you can spend some time doing this, I think you'll be able to answer your question far better than other users sharing their successes or problems with the conversion.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    You are in an ideal position to find the pros and cons yourself. Download and install QMac and and covert a copy to your current QWin file. Run both versions side-by-side for a time. There are differences and there is a learning curve. You will have your old familiar QWin product for reference as you progress up the curve on QMac.

I am a 30+ yr QWin user and have been running both QWin and QMac since QMac2105 released - it's become a hobby for me.

Personnaly, I much prefer the QMac interface and flexibility pf thee registers. If forced to choose one or the other, I would likely go with QMac. Other users. with different personal prferencesand priorities, would stay with QWin.
    QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Anecdotally only, this was a post from a user yesterday in a different thread in which a user asked whether the Mac version was up to par with Quicken Windows:
    I discontinued use of the Windows version, and the Mac version is, in my opinion, much better at doing what I need to be done.  At first, the Mac version wasn't very good, but with all the different versions and upgrades over the years, I don't think I can do without it. 
    And this was what I wrote in that conversation:
    The Mac and Windows versions are more like cousins, not identical twins. So, no, they are not nearly identical. There are some things where Quicken Mac is arguably superior, and there are many things which are on a par (although in some cases things may be done a little differently). And there are still many features — some large, some small — which don't exist in Quicken Mac.

That said, it's not necessarily useful information.  Everyone uses Quicken differently, so whether Quicken Mac is a good enough solution depends on each individual's needs. Many Quicken Windows users have successfully and happily switched to using Quicken Mac; some Quicken Windows users have switched to Quicken Mac and find it lacking in some areas but good enough to meet their needs; and some some Quicken Windows users have tried Quicken Mac and found it lacking in areas significant enough that they cannot make the switch off Quicken Windows. 

Since you already have a Mac and a Quicken subscription, you can download Quicken Mac for free and try it out for yourself. I believe that's really the only way to determine whether or not it will suit your needs. You may need some clean-up after the conversion of your data, and there is definitely a learning curve in acclimating to Quicken Mac, but if you can spend some time doing this, I think you'll be able to answer your question far better than other users sharing their successes or problems with the conversion.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    You are in an ideal position to find the pros and cons yourself. Download and install QMac and and covert a copy to your current QWin file. Run both versions side-by-side for a time. There are differences and there is a learning curve. You will have your old familiar QWin product for reference as you progress up the curve on QMac.

I am a 30+ yr QWin user and have been running both QWin and QMac since QMac2105 released - it's become a hobby for me.

Personnaly, I much prefer the QMac interface and flexibility pf thee registers. If forced to choose one or the other, I would likely go with QMac. Other users. with different personal prferencesand priorities, would stay with QWin.
    QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In my opinion if one could state the pros and cons in a thread like this, both versions would be worthless.

As the developers of Quicken Mac have found out in the rewrite of Quicken Mac, Quicken is a complicated program with tons of features.  The likelihood that anyone could put down a meaningful pros/cons list would imply a much simpler application, like comparing Notepad to WordPad.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.