Why Update to any new version for stand alone/manual entry?

Ken117
Ken117 Member ✭✭
If I do not download banking transactions nor reconciliation statements and my entire data resides on my computer and not the cloud and I manually enter everything, is it necessary for me to update to one of these newer versions?

Comments

• Ken117
    Ken117 Member ✭✭
    I'm a user of Quicken since the 1990's and always kept my data on local drives. Tried downloading banking transactions many years ago but stopped. I'm not interested in online banking, online stock quotes or investment transactions, and storing data in the cloud. I only want a database that allows me to track my liabilities, assets, expenses, savings accounts, etc. on my computer. I manually reconcile accounts.

Why am I constantly misled to update? If I update my software, your system will force me into online transactions, annual renewal fees which results only more cash flow for you and add complexity to me... and risking stolen cloud data or losing my data. Your pop up boxes on this system are annoying if I don't care to upgrade. If I don't have to update, why do you mislead us that we must?
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    No, there is no reason to update if you maintain your data manually.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless you bought Starter under the subscription policy, it goes READ ONLY when the subscription expires.
    What version (year) of Quicken are you currently using?

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm with you, Ken.   I'm staying on Quicken 2013.  It works great.  No problems or bugs.   No Quicken ID stuff.   

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Ken117
    Ken117 Member ✭✭
    @splasher - I have Premier and membership expired on 5/3/20. Help>About says I have year 2020 ver R26.17. I have been using it since at least '98 and updated about every 3-4 years until they started pushing the cloud and banking downloads. Not a proponent of paying $50 a year for something that needs to remain private and local. They're still updating my version because I notice functionality is gradually getting removed too such as I used to be able to minimize my Account bar with an arrow in the bar, but that arrow is now gone and I have to remove the account bar in the main menu>View>Account Bar>Dock AB
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since you are running Premier subscription, you can continue to use Quicken, but you have to live with the narrow banner across the top and the panel to one side (depends on which side the Account Bar is ).
    Quicken has no intention to remove it, so you have to live with the reduced screen space.
    If you can't live with the reduced screen space, you could buy a copy of Quicken 2016 or 2017 which both use the same data file format as Quicken Subscription.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    There is an interesting dynamics going on here.

Here you have a person that has a program with all the functionality that they need (long before Quicken Subscription came out in 2018), but has been trained by the marketing/industry that they need to update.

Why update?

There are some real world concerns like someday Windows might update and the program will stop working.  There is always that risk, but so anything from Quicken 2004 onward is still working fine.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.