ira rollover between investment firms - how to record in Quicken

GrandmaAYW
GrandmaAYW Member ✭✭
edited March 2022 in Investing (Windows)
We rolled over a qualified IRA from one firm to another. How do I enter that in Quicken Deluxe?

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    Were the securities at the old firm sold and the cash transferred then new securities bought, or are they transferred "in kind" roughly any buying or selling?

Different instructions supply depending on t how the transfer occurred
    QWin Premier subscription
  • GrandmaAYW
    GrandmaAYW Member ✭✭
    I don't know. I just signed the paper work for the Rollover and the two firms transferred the value. It may have been a sell/buy transaction since we now have different items in the new account. Both are qualified IRAs. I never saw any of the money.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it is different investments now, you might as well record it as sales in the old account and Buys in the other, or just keep it as the same account but change the name of the financial institution in Quicken.

Are you downloading transactions for these accounts, entering them manually, or just keeping track of the balances? 
    QWin Premier subscription
  • GrandmaAYW
    GrandmaAYW Member ✭✭
    Just keeping track of the balances! I think I'll opt for the name change. Thanks so much!
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have "different items in the new account" ... then it MUST have been a Sell, transfer cash, BUY situation.  Your new items/securities have a different cost basis than did the old items.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    NotACPA said:
    If you have "different items in the new account" ... then it MUST have been a Sell, transfer cash, BUY situation.  Your new items/securities have a different cost basis than did the old items.
    But even with that case (change of securities), if you can manage the account name change / financial institution change, I would go that route rather than a new account and transfer. 
This discussion has been closed.