quicken constantly asksfor keychain password

User47251
User47251 Member ✭✭
This question was asked last year and was closed without an answer.
I am asking Quicken to down load transactions in XYZ bank. I also have an account with USAA. Before it will download XYZ, it asks for the Password to USAA, even though it will not be getting data from USAA. The password has been entered into the Quicken "keychain" numerous times, but Quicken does not retain it.
You asked a previous user to do the research with USAA. The problem is not with USAA it is a Quicken issue.
With the Windows version of Quicken I could see the password Quicken entered for each bank. With the MAC version it is not visible, so the user is left with no recourse.

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    User47251 said:
    This question was asked last year and was closed without an answer.
    I am asking Quicken to down load transactions in XYZ bank. I also have an account with USAA. Before it will download XYZ, it asks for the Password to USAA, even though it will not be getting data from USAA. The password has been entered into the Quicken "keychain" numerous times, but Quicken does not retain it.
    You asked a previous user to do the research with USAA. The problem is not with USAA it is a Quicken issue.
    With the Windows version of Quicken I could see the password Quicken entered for each bank. With the MAC version it is not visible, so the user is left with no recourse.
    Hello @User47251,     

I am sorry that this issue with the password and logins for your accounts is causing you this frustration. Thank you for taking the time to reach out to the Quicken Community to speak with us about this matter.

First, be sure to save a backup before attempting any troubleshooting steps. This is key in preserving your data and can, itself, be a solution for many issues. You can always do this by going to File > Save a Backup in the upper menu at the top of the screen while Quicken is open. 

Next, I want to be sure that disconnecting all of the accounts associated with USAA and then clearing the Keychain of all relevant passwords has been attempted. Just to reiterate, this can be accomplished by following the instructions listed below.

First, disconnect all the accounts with the affected financial institution

1. Open Quicken.
    2. Go to the Accounts menu and choose Hide and Show Accounts;
    3. Uncheck any accounts with this specific financial institution (FI) that are hidden in Lists;
    4. When complete, click on the account name for your account(s) in the Accounts toolbar in Quicken.
    5. Click the Settings icon in the bottom right corner of the screen.
    6. Select the Downloads tab.
    7. Click on Disconnect Account.
    8. Click Done. Do this on each account with this FI. 
    9. Quit Quicken.

Second, delete Quicken passwords from the Keychain

1. Open Finder and go to Applications > Utilities > Keychain Access app;
    2. On the left panel in the Keychain app, set the Keychains to Login and the Category to Passwords.
    3. Find and delete any entries that show Quicken or Quicken Connect and this FI name;
    4. Quit the Keychain Access app and open Quicken.

Third, update the bank list in Quicken

1. Go to Accounts > New and pick an account type matching one of the affected accounts.
    2. At the bottom of the window that lists the financial institutions, click the "My bank is not listed" question mark icon; then click Update List.
    3. When the list finishes updating, it will display the current date. Click the Show List button to continue.

Lastly, re-add the accounts

1. Type the name of the financial institution and make the appropriate selection.
    2. Enter your login credentials and click Continue.
    3. When Quicken has returned all accounts discovered for this FI, very carefully LINK each of the found accounts to the appropriate account you already have setup in Quicken.
    I look forward to your response, and hope to continue working with you on this issue, if necessary.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • User47251
    User47251 Member ✭✭
    Jared.. Thanks. I have been delayed in following up.. so far.. not so good. Quicken found my checking account, and one of my Credit cards. It then tried to add both; I switched it to link for the checking; it then could not link to the CC because it couldn't find it on the list. Then it showed me accounts it had found after I pressed continue, and it had linked to the correct CC account, even though it did not list it for selection. It picked up 4 accounts, but not all. I have several savings accounts at this institution, and 2 CC's, plus the one checking account. It asked me if I wanted to add accounts; I said yes. It then went back finding only the Checking & CC account (the one it could not link). It still omitted the existing CC account from the selection list so I could not link them.

I am finding the MAC Quicken extremely frustrating to use. I switched because my Windows laptop died. The transition has been extremely rough. It duped several accounts, Changes reconciled account balances with no ability to crosscheck to find out why, except by going back through every balanced account to see where a miscellaneous entry showed up to throw it all askew. It does not allow me to flip over to see the matching account of a transaction to see if it was correctly done. If I set up transfers/deposits to multiple savings accounts, it shows only the 1st account as payee, resulting in incorrect entries. The terminology of category & payee act differently in the two systems. Whacky!
  • Hi @User47251,

I am sorry that you are still experiencing this error, I understand that it can be frustrating and I thank you for the thorough information that you have provided. 

Could you please create a test file and add the accounts there to see if this error still occurs? You can do this by going to File>New and then adding the accounts.

Please let me know what occurs, I look forward to hearing your response. 
    Quicken Jasmine

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• User47251
    User47251 Member ✭✭
    Jasmine,
    I set up a new file. I had no prior inputs such as specific categories I have used for years, such as differentiating utility bills for two separate homes. I had no other financial institutions than USAA, the bank I was having issues with. It set up perfectly, not using the direct connect info that had been required by the other file, but using the normal online ID and password + pin method used by other institutions.
  • Hi @User47251,

Thank you for your response, It is crucial to finding a resolution. 

Since the error did not occur in the test file, I recommend restoring from a backup that was created before this error began to occur. You can do this by:
    1. In Quicken, select File > Restore from Backup...
    2. Browse your computer or external media to find the backup file you want to restore. The Quicken backup file has the extension .quicken2017backup or .quickenbackup.
    3. Select the file to restore.
    4. Click Choose.
    Here is a link to a support article that goes into more detail regarding restoring from backups:

https://www.quicken.com/support/mac/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data

I hope this helps, please let me know how it goes. 
    Quicken Jasmine

-Quicken Jasmine

• User47251
    User47251 Member ✭✭
    Jasmine,
    Tried this; found it would discard two months of manual updates I had already done. Discarded the idea of using Direct Connect, which is where the problem came up. Tried to do it the old fashioned way with file name, password ,and pin, and this time it worked. Set itself up with linked accounts and everything I needed.
    Still have massive cleanup from the switch over from Quicken Windows; they aren't even close to the same in so many areas!
    Thanks for your help.
  • User47251
    User47251 Member ✭✭
    Jasmine.. Thanks! In earlier parts of the discussion I spelled out I was transitioning from Quicken Windows to Quicken MAC. When I tried to do your last suggestion it took me back too far. the transition from Windows to MAC has been a nightmare, with duplicate files, entries going willy nilly into whichever of the files Quicken thought was pertinent. I had two months of combing data that were going to be discarded if I took that step.
    HOWEVER.. I think I'm back in charge ..though Quicken is "quick" to fool me in that.. I junked the concept of using Direct Connect at USAA.
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Hello @User47251,

Thank you so much for your responses. I am so happy to hear that you were able to find a workaround and get everything back in order! However, I am so sorry that it was so much work and took so much time!

Thank you for the update and please do not hesitate to reach out with any further questions or concerns!

-Quicken Jasmine

This discussion has been closed.