Problems with downloading from NBKC bank

Brian183
Brian183 Member ✭✭✭
About a week ago started getting an error when downloading from NBKC bank. I tried resetting the account, it accepts my credentials, prompts for the verification code sent to my account, says it's looking for my accounts, and then ends-up with an error screen (no code) that says "Sorry. We encountered an error. (It's not your fault)." And them I have choices to try again, or enter transactions manually.

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which connection method is set up with NBKC:  Direct Connect or Express Web Connect?
    Also, NBKC also offers Web Connect.  This is where you log into your online account and download transactions from there in QFX (or "Quicken") format and then import that file into Quicken.  It's a handy option for updating accounts when there is a problem downloading by either or the other two methods.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Brian183
    Brian183 Member ✭✭✭
    I believe it was Direct Connect. Can't be sure since I deactivated the connection I had, and now can't make a new one.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Brian183 said:
    I believe it was Direct Connect. Can't be sure since I deactivated the connection I had, and now can't make a new one.
    Hello @Brian183

I am sorry that this issue with connecting accounts is continuing. Thank you for keeping in contact with us about this situation. 

Typically, you could change your connection method during the process of linking your accounts. First, save a backup by going to File > Copy or Backup File in the upper menu at the top of the screen. You can then go into Tools > Add Account up at the upper menu in the top of the screen. Next, select your financial institution and then go into Advanced Options. You should be able to choose a different connection method in the window that appears under 'How should Quicken Connect?'

I hope to continue working with you on this issue, and I also hope that this is helpful.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Brian183
    Brian183 Member ✭✭✭
    No luck. I had been trying to activate online access for my existing account. With your suggestion I went through the add account process. Neither one prompted me about how quicken should connect. But the experience was the same with both...first prompted for bank credentials, then the validation code process, and then the error message I posted initially.
  • Quicken Jared
    Brian183 said:
    No luck. I had been trying to activate online access for my existing account. With your suggestion I went through the add account process. Neither one prompted me about how quicken should connect. But the experience was the same with both...first prompted for bank credentials, then the validation code process, and then the error message I posted initially.
    Hello @Brian183

Thank you for keeping in touch and continuing to work with me on this. I apologize that the issue seems to be continuing.

I want to be clear about the manner in which the connection method would be changed; there is no prompt for this. It would be achieved by selecting Advanced Options in the screen that requests your credentials. This option should be visible in the lower left-hand corner of the screen. Would it be possible for you to provide screenshots of what you are seeing at this screen?

Here is a helpful thread regarding how to post screenshots in the Quicken Community:

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7867159/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-windows

I hope this is helpful, and I look forward to conversing with you further.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Brian183
    Brian183 Member ✭✭✭
    Sorry for the mis-understanding, and thanks for the guidance.

I made two attempts to add the account. Once with Express Web Connect, the other with Direct Connect:

Express Web connect (default)
    -I was prompted for credentials
    -I was asked where to send the verification code
    -I was prompted for verification code sent to phone
    -Saw the "looking for account" screen
    -Error message displayed (see file named capture-1)

Direct connect
    -After "looking for account" screen, I immediately saw error (see file named capture-2)
    Note: I was not asked where to send a verification code, none was sent, and I was not asked to enter a code.

The two screen shots look identical to me, but providing both just in case there is a difference

-Brian
  • Quicken Jared
    Brian183 said:
    Sorry for the mis-understanding, and thanks for the guidance.

I made two attempts to add the account. Once with Express Web Connect, the other with Direct Connect:

Express Web connect (default)
    -I was asked where to send the verification code
    -I was prompted for verification code sent to phone
    -Saw the "looking for account" screen
    -Error message displayed (see file named capture-1)

Direct connect
    -After "looking for account" screen, I immediately saw error (see file named capture-2)
    Note: I was not asked where to send a verification code, none was sent, and I was not asked to enter a code.

The two screen shots look identical to me, but providing both just in case there is a difference

-Brian
    @Brian183,

It is my pleasure to offer any tips or information that I can, and thank you for providing those screenshots; it really is informative. I appreciate the time you're taking to keep in touch with me about this. 

Have you noticed this error with any other accounts operated by financial institutions other than NBKC? Also, have you spoken with a representative at NBKC? It might be worth your while to reach out to one of their support members to inquire further; I do recommend asking for a 'Tier 2' agent or an escalations team if you do this, as they may be more familiar with third-party software, such as Quicken. 

I hope to hear more from you if there are any additional developments in this situation, and I intend to continue checking in with you about this.

Thanks,

Quicken Jared 
  • Brian183
    Brian183 Member ✭✭✭
    Hi Jared, I have about 8 different financial institutions (several with more than one account), across four different Quicken 'files.' This issue with NBKC is the only one exhibiting this behavior. I had tried calling NBKC customer support, and while the rep said she had heard 'something' about some issues with Quicken she had no other suggestion aside from clearing my browser's cache and cookies (which obviously has no impact to Quicken).
  • Quicken Jared
    Brian183 said:
    Hi Jared, I have about 8 different financial institutions (several with more than one account), across four different Quicken 'files.' This issue with NBKC is the only one exhibiting this behavior. I had tried calling NBKC customer support, and while the rep said she had heard 'something' about some issues with Quicken she had no other suggestion aside from clearing my browser's cache and cookies (which obviously has no impact to Quicken).
    Hello @Brian183

I see. Thank you for staying in contact and keeping me updated. I do apologize that the problem remains unresolved.

First, save a backup once again. Then, in the same menu, go to File > New Quicken File. Go through the steps of setting up a blank data file, and be sure to save this to your local hard drive when prompted, and not to an external drive of any kind, or a cloud-based storage service.

Once you have created a new data file, add your NBKC account by going to the Add Account button denoted by the '+' in the upper left-hand corner of the screen. Once you have gone through the steps of entering your credentials and the account has been added, wait to see if new transactions begin to appear in the register after the One Step Update icon stops revolving in the upper left-hand corner.

I look forward to hear your response regarding the outcome.

Best wishes,

Quicken Jared 
  • Brian183
    Brian183 Member ✭✭✭
    As directed, I created a new Quicken file, and tried to add my NBKC bank to it. The results are the same. I was prompted for credentials, where to send verification code, entered the verification code, and then received an error (see attached).
  • I am also having the same issue with NBKC automatically connecting.

P.S.
    You can download from the NBKC website, instead of manually entry.
  • I forgot to add the error code to my message OL-297-A "Quicken is unable to establish an Internet connection. This may be due to a temporary server outage or your computer's settings.". Everything else downloads without an issue.
  • Quicken Jared
    I forgot to add the error code to my message OL-297-A "Quicken is unable to establish an Internet connection. This may be due to a temporary server outage or your computer's settings.". Everything else downloads without an issue.
    Hello @csmines2004

I am sorry to hear that you are being affected by this issue as well. Thank you for following this discussion about the problem. 

I recommend that you look into this support article regarding the OL-297-A error message, linked below:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/error-when-using-online-services-ol-297

I hope this is helpful, and I look forward to hearing back from you about this.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Done of that worked
  • Quicken Jared
    Done of that worked
    @csmines2004,

Thank you for keeping in conversation and providing me with additional updates. I am sorry that the issue is persisting. 

What connection method are you using? You can check this any time by going into Tools > Account List and looking at the Transaction Download column in the window that appears. If the connection method is listed as Direct Connect, then it would best for you to reach out to the financial institution's support line for further assistance. I recommend asking to speak with a 'Tier 2' representative or an escalations team as these personnel will be best able to work with third-party software issues.

I hope this is helpful, and feel free to reach out again with any additional questions or concerns.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 

• Brian183
    Brian183 Member ✭✭✭
    @Jared...just like csmines2004 I also get the "OL-297-A "Quicken is unable to establish an Internet connection. This may be due to a temporary server outage or your computer's settings.". This ONLY happens when I try to add NBKC. I have a reliable Internet connection, and I will get this error it even though I've been online for hours, and just moments earlier successfully did a one-step update. I do not receive this error when connecting to any other financial institutions. And, once the error appears I can still continue through the authentication process with NBKC including the use of a one-time verification code sent to my phone.
  • Quicken Paloma
    Quicken Paloma Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Brian183

Thank you for your response. Just to clarify, are you attempting to connect/add your account using Direct Connect? After taking a look and testing I noticed that the issue is only persiting when using Direct Connection. Express Web Connect seems to be working just fine.

Could you please attempt connecting using express Webconnect? This can be done by selecting Advanced Options >Express Web Connect. 

When you have a moment please attempt using Express Webconnect and let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Paloma
  • Brian183
    Brian183 Member ✭✭✭
    While I didn't get the error about difficulty establishing an internet connection I was still unsuccessful when choosing express web connect. The results were comparable to what I've experienced over the past two weeks (see attached screen shot)
  • BobKopolow
    BobKopolow Member ✭✭
    I am having exactly the same problem as these other folks. I have also tried all the above solutions to no avail. I have gone thru telephone conversations with tech support at both Quicken and NBKC will no success. If we are having problems, others probably are too. This problem calls for a solution or customers will find other banks and transaction software that work. Please escalate this problem.
  • Quicken Jared
    Brian183 said:
    While I didn't get the error about difficulty establishing an internet connection I was still unsuccessful when choosing express web connect. The results were comparable to what I've experienced over the past two weeks (see attached screen shot)
    Hello @Brian183

I am sorry to hear about this continuing issue with connections in relation to NBKC. Again, thank you for continuing to provide so much information and for furnishing helpful screenshots of what is happening on your computer at the moment.

In this case, submitting logs will best help us determine a path to resolution. I recommend that all users following this discussion who are experiencing this same issue submit logs of their software's activity by going to Help > Report a Problem in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Try to upload a screenshot of the error message that you are seeing, and include a brief description of the problems being experienced, if possible. Finally, click Send to Quicken once this is done. 

These logs will then be analyzed and assessed, supplying our teams with much-needed data in order to more diligently achieve a resolution. 

I look forward to any further correspondence you may be able to offer.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Brian183
    Brian183 Member ✭✭✭
    I have submitted the logs as you suggested. I did this immediately after attempting to add NBKC and received the same error as I've been getting for the past two weeks. Now that they've been submitted, what is the mechanism to know the progress of the analysis so I know what the problem may be, and when there is a fix or additional guidance? Submitting the logs did not provide me with any sort of ticket or reference number for tracking.
  • BobKopolow
    BobKopolow Member ✭✭
    I have also sent the files requested in Help > Report a Problem a couple of weeks ago as requested by tech support and have heard nothing back from tech support regarding that.
  • Quicken Jared
    I have also sent the files requested in Help > Report a Problem a couple of weeks ago as requested by tech support and have heard nothing back from tech support regarding that.
    @Bobkopolow,

Thank you for reaching out again and providing additional information.

Log files expire after 48 hours or so, and I recommend resending them if the error is continuing.

Also, thank you @Brian183 for submitting logs, as well. These will be passed along and I will return to notify everyone in this discussion if and when the issue has been escalated.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Quicken Jared
    Hello everyone,

I hope all is well. I wanted to return to this discussion to provide an update.

We are analyzing data supplied in the previous round of logs, and would now benefit from fresh reports - meaning logs supplied within the last 24-48 hours. We would like to compare the two sets of logs with each other to gather more information. If possible, please provide additional logs by going to Help > Report a problem... in the upper menu at the top of the screen. You may then provide screenshots of the error messages you are seeing and a brief description of the issue.

I want to thank @Brian183 and @Bobkopolow for their patience and diligence in working with us on this.

I hope to check back in with you to provide another update shortly.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Brian183
    Brian183 Member ✭✭✭
    As requested I sent the logs again. Of note...with this attempt I was NOT prompted to do the mobile-phone / verification code process. But, the process did progress a little further than previous attempts in that it showed me my account at NBKC and asked if I wanted to add/link. However, after that, I received the same error (attached) I've been receiving for past few weeks.
  • Brian183
    Brian183 Member ✭✭✭
    Is there any update here? I just tried again, and had the same results.
This discussion has been closed.