File copy date range not working

When I go to copy a file, the range of dates specified is not observed. I'm trying to cut out just the recent years, but its copying everything. Any help will be much appreciated!

Thx,
Tom
Tagged:

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which of the Copy features have you selected?
    "Create a copy or template" or "Create a Year End Archive"?
    Are all old transactions prior to cutoff date marked Reconciled? Quicken won't remove transactions from the current data file unless they're all reconciled in all accounts.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    I have confirmed the Create a copy or template date range does appear to be broken in R36.38.  The functionality appears to work for some registers but not others.  If you haven't already, I suggest you report the problem to Quicken: select Help > Report a problem...
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I tried "Create a copy or template" with a starting date of 1/1/2022 and it worked for me.
    I'm using R38.30.

Note that I found the options a bit counter intuitive for this section:

Basically, with these selected it will ignore the date range and include all of them.
    So, with Investment transactions selected, none of the investment accounts will be touched.
    Note that truncating investment transactions on a given date is almost guaranteed mess up your accounts because unlike a non investment account where Quicken can put in an Opening Balance to correct things, Quicken doesn't try to correct the fact that you just threw away buys/sells/...

Note that unlike the year-end archive option, the "Create a copy or template" option doesn't care about the clear status, except in the case of the Uncleared transactions option above that when selected makes sure it includes transactions that haven't yet cleared (as in a blank Clr field).
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • fjh
    fjh Member ✭✭
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > I tried "Create a copy or template" with a starting date of 1/1/2022 and it worked for me.
    > I'm using R38.30.
    >
    > Note that I found the options a bit counter intuitive for this section:
    >
    >
    >
    > Basically, with these selected it will ignore the date range and include all of them.
    > So, with Investment transactions selected, none of the investment accounts will be touched.
    > Note that truncating investment transactions on a given date is almost guaranteed mess up your accounts because unlike a non investment account where Quicken can put in an Opening Balance to correct things, Quicken doesn't try to correct the fact that you just threw away buys/sells/...
    >
    > Note that unlike the year-end archive option, the "Create a copy or template" option doesn't care about the clear status, except in the case of the Uncleared transactions option above that when selected makes sure it includes transactions that haven't yet cleared (as in a blank Clr field).

Chris, Do you still have accounts in your vault? I followed your procedure and my vault is empty.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    The new copy process removes all online connections/usernames/passwords.
    It also changes the unique Id for the data file, so that the new copy isn't associated with the old Quicken Cloud dataset.

This is the "new normal".
    Signature:
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    The date range bug appears to be present when uncleared transactions are included.  If there are uncleared transactions anywhere in the register all the transactions in the register are included in the copy.  
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Sherlock said:
    The date range bug appears to be present when uncleared transactions are included.  If there are uncleared transactions anywhere in the register all the transactions in the register are included in the copy.  
    I'm not seeing that.
    Using:

Top of my checking account:

Bottom:

Signature:
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    Chris_QPW said:
    Sherlock said:
    I'm not seeing that.
    Using:

Top of my checking account:

Bottom:

I think what is happening is that we have 25 years of transfer entries that may be uncleared at one end.  For example, manual loan registers, cash accounts, paycheck related asset accounts, etc..   By selecting to include all uncleared transactions, Quicken must also pull in both ends of an uncleared transfer and, if either end is a split transaction, Quicken must also include the other end of those transfer entries.

I'm glad we don't intend to truncate our Quicken file.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Sherlock said:

I'm glad we don't intend to truncate our Quicken file.
    Same here.
    Signature:
  • Thank you all for your responses and help here.

I verified all transactions were cleared and continue to have the date range problem with "Create a Copy or Template". I'm not using investment accounts, etc, just your basic checking and card registers.

I'm using Ver. R38.30 Build 27.1.38.30 Windows 10 Home.

I'll report the bug to Quicken, as suggested.

Thanks again,
    Tom
This discussion has been closed.