how do I get rid of a placeholder tracsaction?

Options
steam643
steam643 Member ✭✭
how do I get rid of a placeholder transaction?

Best Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022 Answer ✓
    Options
    steam643 said:
    The placeholder isn't in the register. It's only in the transaction history.
    Generally, every transaction in a security's Transaction history is in a register.  To view and be able to delete placeholder transactions in a register, I suggest you check the Show hidden transactions preference: select Edit > Preferences...

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Simply deleting the placeholder won't resolve the issue.  The next time that you download into that account, the placeholder will be re-created UNLESS you research WHY the placeholder was created (what was recorded erroneously, or deleted) and create transaction(s) to make up the number of shares that the placeholder is representing.
    Once the underlying issue is resolved, then the placeholder can be deleted without consequence since it will no longer be needed.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    steam643 said:
    how do I get rid of a placeholder transaction?
    Hello @steam643,

Thank you for taking the time to discuss the subject of placeholders with the Quicken Community. 

First, save a backup by going to File > Copy or Backup File in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Next, right-click on the placeholder transaction in the register and click Delete

I hope this is helpful. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • steam643
    steam643 Member ✭✭
    Options
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022 Answer ✓
    Options
    steam643 said:
    Generally, every transaction in a security's Transaction history is in a register.  To view and be able to delete placeholder transactions in a register, I suggest you check the Show hidden transactions preference: select Edit > Preferences...

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Simply deleting the placeholder won't resolve the issue.  The next time that you download into that account, the placeholder will be re-created UNLESS you research WHY the placeholder was created (what was recorded erroneously, or deleted) and create transaction(s) to make up the number of shares that the placeholder is representing.
    Once the underlying issue is resolved, then the placeholder can be deleted without consequence since it will no longer be needed.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• twoquacks
    twoquacks Member
    Options
    Doesn't work for cash; I can't correct cash errors because it automatically adds a placeholder zeroing out my change. I don't download anything for my financial accounts.
This discussion has been closed.