Cannot delete? [Problem with "Done" reminder]

At the top of my "Bill and income reminder" There is an entry for South Madison that I cannot delete or skip. Also no due date. This income has already cleared. I Like using "In/Out/What's left"

This South Madison reminder is skewing the "What's left" It was in January and now Feb. Would like to fix this.

I've attached a photo
httpsusv-cdnnet6031128uploadseditorukfox5mkoc0zdbjpg

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is or was this reminder set up as either a one-time reminder or a recurring event with an End Date that has passed?
    Try to delete the reminder by going into Tools / Manage Bill and Income Reminders. Locate the reminder and click to select it. Click the "Delete" selection item in the Menu Bar on top of the view.
  • tedway
    tedway Member ✭✭
    No, it was not set up as a recurring reminder. I had already gone to the bill manager to make sure and it is not there. The odd thing about it is it has no due date. In the in/out/what's left. It shows up in January and Feb. as upcoming. I'm guessing if I can't figure this out it will be there every month. Thank you for your help.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

If you haven't done so already, I'd try the following actions:

Validate and Supervalidate instructions

First save a backup file prior to performing these steps

Validate: 

1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 30 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

Super Validate:

1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Supervalidate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 30 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

• tedway
    tedway Member ✭✭
    I've done all of that. No change.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If after all of the above the reminder still shows in "What's Left" it should also be listed in Tools / Manage Bill & Income Reminders. Select the "All Bills & Deposits tab". Sort the view by Due Date (click the column header) and it should be right there on top of the list. Or sort by Payee and it should be there in alphabetical order, with all the other payees beginning with "S".

Still can't find it? Or still can't get rid of it?
    If you haven't done so already, I'd say it's time to call Quicken Support on the phone and request help.  Let them do a screen share session with you to review the situation on your computer, to determine the nature of the problem and to figure out how to fix it.

Quicken Support:

• tedway
    tedway Member ✭✭
    Thank you for your help. I've been a quicken user since 1995. So I know my way around quicken but this is puzzling.
  • kschreffler
    kschreffler Member ✭✭
    Having same issue. Anyone ever figure out why these reminders cannot be deleted?
  • tedway
    tedway Member ✭✭
    I haven't seen a good answer yet. I have not contacted quicken support yet.
  • sjweiswasser
    sjweiswasser Member ✭✭
    Same problem here. Two out of three undeletable reminders were in a just-closed account. When I deleted the account, they disappeared. The one remaining is in a current account and I cannot get rid of it. Have tried every way suggested and even had Quicken Support on screen share. It disappeared when they had me run some process but came back the next update. Very frustrating.
  • tedway
    tedway Member ✭✭
    If you ever come up with an answer please let us know thanks.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    In another discussion it was suggested to try this:
    Locate this reminder in Tools / Manage Bill & Income Reminders.
    Click to select it (highlight it).
    Press and hold the CTRL-key, click "Delete" in the Menu bar near the top of the view.
  • tedway
    tedway Member ✭✭
    Thanks but failed. The edit and skip buttons do not respond. Tried the CTRL and delete at the top of the window this is the same error I get elsewhere.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    tedway said:
    Thanks but failed. The edit and skip buttons do not respond. Tried the CTRL and delete at the top of the window this is the same error I get elsewhere.
    Hello @tedway,

I am sorry to hear about this issue with deleting bill and income reminders. Thank you for discussing this problem with us here on the Quicken Community.

Where is the data file you are currently using located? You can check this anytime by going to File > Show this file on my computer in the upper menu at the top of the screen.

I look forward to hearing back from you about this.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • tedway
    tedway Member ✭✭
    The data file is on my D drive. My operating system is on C: it is a solid state drive so not a lot of room on it.
  • kschreffler
    kschreffler Member ✭✭
    My Quicken data file is here: C:\Users\Ken\Documents\Quicken Mine is also a solid state drive with about half a TB of room.
  • Quicken Jared
    tedway said:
    The data file is on my D drive. My operating system is on C: it is a solid state drive so not a lot of room on it.
    @tedway and @kschreffler

Thank you for continuing to reach out and provide me with additional information. I am sorry that the problem remains unresolved.

Are you noticing that the trouble with deleting reminders is isolated to manual bills, or online bills? Also, do you know when you most recently updated the Quicken software?

I look forward to the answer to these questions, and I intend to continue working with you on these problems.

Thanks again,

Quicken Jared 
  • kschreffler
    kschreffler Member ✭✭
    I can't really say what the reminders are for as the Edit button doesn't respond. The status of the 2 reminders is "Done" and the date due is "None" which doesn't make any sense, plus one of them is for $0.00. I am on the latest release of R38.30. Unfortunately I cannot tell you when or how long these 2 have been out there, but I'd like to delete them.
  • tedway
    tedway Member ✭✭
    Yes updated to latest version. Did the validate and the I think its called super validate. It is only on the manual entrees. I never created a income reminder for South Madison it just showed up.
  • Quicken Jared
    tedway said:
    Yes updated to latest version. Did the validate and the I think its called super validate. It is only on the manual entrees. I never created a income reminder for South Madison it just showed up.
    @tedway,

I see. Thanks once again for keeping in communications with me and providing additional information about the situation.

Are you able to restore from a backup just prior to the last software update? You can always save backups by going to File > Copy or Backup File in the upper menu at the top of the screen. We recommend doing this frequently as it is key to data preservation and helpful in a large number of contexts. You can also restore backups by going into the same menu and selecting File > Restore a Backup File. Provided that backups have been saved regularly, restoring to a backup saved just before the last software update may result in different program behavior.

I recommend this to @kschreffler, as well. 

I look forward to any updates you may be able to provide.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • tedway
    tedway Member ✭✭
    Yes I make backups and have hsed them in the past. I would have to go back over 2 months which would put me so far behind in my data. Don't think that is an option.
  • kschreffler
    kschreffler Member ✭✭
    edited March 2022
    I agree with @tedway . I do a file backup every single day. I don't know exactly when this started so I'd have to go back so many backups that it would take forever to figure this out. It is really not worth the hassle. Why can't the Quicken developers determine what is causing the issue and fix it? So many people are having the issue, I would think they'd be on top of this and help us get things fixed. Deleting a reminder? That should be a simple process.
  • kschreffler
    kschreffler Member ✭✭
    And I did a restore a few weeks back for another issue I am having with reminders at the suggestion of this community. After restoring I had a couple accounts that stopped updating and I had to deactivate them and readd them. What a pain that was. In fact, I have 3 accounts with my credit union where I still can't update them because when I try to add them, Quicken will not give me the option to link them to the existing accounts. Not sure why that is happening
  • Quicken Jared
    Hello @kschreffler and @tedway

I am sorry that you are still being affected by these issues. Thank you for continuing to keep in touch with us about this.

Given previous troubleshooting efforts, it would be the most beneficial option to reach out to phone support for additional assistance. You can follow the link below in order to obtain proper contact information:

https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

I hope this helps, and feel free to reach out to us with any additional questions or concerns. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
This discussion has been closed.