Selling CDs creates a discrepancy between Market Value and balance

kleeberg
kleeberg Member ✭✭
I am not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I have an investment account that is 50% cash and 50% CD. The market value for that account shows the total of both the cash and the CD. When I put a future date on the sale of the CD, the market value on the upper-right of the transaction view drops by the amount of the sale however the balance next to the transaction shows the correct balance.

Here are my steps:
3/32/2022 sell [security name] Total Sale: [total value of CDs]. Number of shares [X] Price per share [$100 auto filled]. No commission.

The market value falls by the total value of the sold CDs

If I use today's date for the transaction, the market value increases by the sale amount of the CD or 150% of the true value while the balance on the line of the transaction is correct.

What am I doing wrong?

Paul

Comments

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Hello @kleeberg,

Thank you for contacting the Community. I am sorry that you are experiencing this error. 

Could you please provide screenshots of what is occurring so I may get a better understanding of the situation? 

I look forward to hearing your response. 

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 2022
    I think this is what he's seeing. I set up a test account with a made-up security purchase in January, with a total account value of $10K:

Then I add a transaction selling the security later this month:

It looks like the Market Value and Account Balance in the sidebar are removing the value of the security from the total even though I still own it today; at the same time they aren't adding in the money generated by the sale because it hasn't happened yet. So that value just goes missing for a few weeks. 

However, the portfolio view suggests this is only a 1 day problem. Here's what it looks like today:

And here's what it looks like if I move the date forward to tomorrow - the market value is back where it should be:

It looks like something about that transaction is getting attached to today's date even though it's dated a few weeks in the future.

Edit: I tried jumping my computer's date ahead by 1 day but the portfolio view & market value were still wrong (as in the third picture above), so it looks like the problem would persist until the date of the sale.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

This discussion has been closed.