Chevron/Synchrony online balance mismatch

For many months now, my Chevron/Synchrony online balance has never matched the actual balance. As a result, monthly reconciliation never works and always shows a balance difference. Tried disconnecting the online services account (Chevron and Texaco Credit Cards) and reconnecting, but still has the wrong balance amount. Any ideas on how to get the account to sync correctly?

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    StuartG said:
    For many months now, my Chevron/Synchrony online balance has never matched the actual balance. As a result, monthly reconciliation never works and always shows a balance difference. Tried disconnecting the online services account (Chevron and Texaco Credit Cards) and reconnecting, but still has the wrong balance amount. Any ideas on how to get the account to sync correctly?
    Hello @StuartG

How large is the difference between the online balance in Quicken and the bank's total balance? Also, are any transactions pending in your account?

It can be common to notice slight discrepancies between the balance appearing in the bank and the online balance displayed in Quicken, as the latter will not post any transactions in 'pending' on the financial institution's side. Also, there can sometimes be a bit of a delay even after the transaction has just posted to your banking history online. 

I look forward to hearing back from you about any possible updates, or if there is any additional information about the situation that can be provided.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • StuartG
    StuartG Member ✭✭
    edited February 2022
    No transactions are pending. Negative on-line balance amount shown in Quicken actually matches a specific transaction amount from August 2021, but history in my Chevron account shows everything as paid. Could a single transaction not sync correctly? Otherwise it's just a coincidence. The amount is around $75.
  • Quicken Jared
    StuartG said:
    No transactions are pending. Negative on-line balance amount shown in Quicken actually matches a specific transaction amount from August 2021, but history in my Chevron account shows everything as paid. Could a single transaction not sync correctly? Otherwise it's just a coincidence. The amount is around $75.
    Hello @StuartG,

Thank you for checking back in with me. It sounds as though some progress is being made.

Regarding the single transaction, is it showing as a negative amount in the register? Another thing occurs to me: if you are reconciling, do you see that the item was marked as 'cleared' in the CLR column of the Reconcile window? And yes, that does seem possible, although rare.

I hope this is helpful.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 

• gpicarel
    gpicarel Member ✭✭
    I have the same problem with my Chevron/Synchrony. My online balance is -$74.53 and this was a transaction from Sept 2021. All items have cleared, no transactions pending and I haven't used the card in several months. I deleted the account and recreated, same.

So strange!
  • Quicken Jared
    gpicarel said:
    I have the same problem with my Chevron/Synchrony. My online balance is -$74.53 and this was a transaction from Sept 2021. All items have cleared, no transactions pending and I haven't used the card in several months. I deleted the account and recreated, same.

So strange!
    Hello @gpicarel,  

I am sorry you are being affected by this issue with online balances being incorrect. Thank you for following this thread for further information.

First, save a backup by going to File > Copy or Backup File in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Be sure to do this as often as possible when using Quicken, as it is helpful in a variety of scenarios and key to preserving your data.

Next, follow the instructions below in order to deactivate your account:
    1. Select the Tools menu and select Account List
    2. In the Account List, select the account for which you want to deactivate online services, and then click Edit
    3. In the Account Details window, click the Online Services tab.
    4. Click Deactivate next to the service you want to disable.
    5. Click Yes to the message asking if you want to disable this service. Note: If you do not receive this message, additional information is available below
      • Direct Connect users: If you are deactivating a Direct Connect account, you may see an additional prompt advising you to contact your bank to cancel the Direct Connect service.

This is only recommended if you intend to deactivate an account permanently and need to contact the bank to stop any related fees.
    6. Click OK to the confirmation message.  
    7. (optional) If you do not intend to reactivate, contact your financial institution to cancel any fees they may charge for access to Quicken online services. Deactivating the account in Quicken will not normally stop the service.
    Please note that you will have to accept all downloaded transactions before deactivating your account. 

Next, you can reactivate your account by following these steps:
    1. Open the Account List (Ctrl + A).
    2. Click the Edit button on the account you want to reactivate.
    3. Go to the Online Services tab and click the Set up Now button.
    4. Type in the financial institution name and walk through the wizard.
    5. Choose LINK on the screen displayed after Quicken finds the available accounts at the financial institution for your login credentials and carefully link to your existing accounts. 
    I look forward to any update you may be able to provide.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared
  • gpicarel
    gpicarel Member ✭✭
    Hello Jared,

I performed all the steps listed and a negative online balance still exists. The steps were similar when I deleted/recreated the account earlier.
  • StuartG
    StuartG Member ✭✭
    Current balance shown in Quicken is -74.45. Online Synchrony/Chevron balance is actually -83.98. Deactivating/reactivating the Quicken account had no effect on the out-of-sync balance amount.
  • Quicken Jared
    StuartG said:
    Current balance shown in Quicken is -74.45. Online Synchrony/Chevron balance is actually -83.98. Deactivating/reactivating the Quicken account had no effect on the out-of-sync balance amount.
    Hello @StuartG,

Thank you for continuing to follow up with me. I am sorry that this issue remains at large.

In Quicken, all credit balances are displayed as a negative by default, as it is considered an amount owed.

Also, if you take the total amount and ignored the negative valence, would the positive total be close to your actual balance?

I look forward to your replies, and hope to continue working with you on this.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • StuartG
    StuartG Member ✭✭
    Sorry for delay in getting back here. Actual balance is $83.23 (for several weeks). Quicken still shows $74.45 after daily syncs and a couple of reactivations. Discrepancy is $8.78 and does not match any prior expense or credit.
  • StuartG
    StuartG Member ✭✭
    Correction ... Quicken online balance now shows $78.23. It changed sometime in the last couple of weeks, but there has been no activity in the account. Now, here is something that must be more than coincidental: The prior Quicken balance of $74.45 matches a charge made in August 2021 and $78.23 matches the very next charge made in September 2021. It's almost like the sync date is wrong, but slowly moving forward in time.
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Hello @StuartG,

Thank you for your responses, I apologize in the delay. 

If you haven't already, I suggest resetting your cloud data from your Quicken desktop program and see if that may make a difference. However, before doing so, first, verify that the Dataset name and the File name match each other identically by navigating to Edit > Preferences > Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts (see below). 

If they do not match, please click Edit dataset name and change the Dataset name to match the File name exactly the same (do not copy the file extension: ".QDF"). 

Then, click OK in the preferences window and proceed to save a backup (just in case). From there, please follow the steps below to reset your cloud data.
    1. On your desktop program go to Edit
    2. Preferences...
    3. Mobile & Web
    4. Make sure sync shows it's ON and click on Reset your cloud data 
    5. On the following screen you can leave the preselected option for "No, just reset my Cloud data", type Yes in the entry field to confirm, and click Reset
    6. Wait for the sync reset to finish
    7. Navigate to the Mobile & Web dropdown menu 
    8. Select Cloud Sync to resync your data and to make sure no errors occur
    9. Wait for it to finish syncing 
    Once that is done, see if the issue still persists.

Please let me know how this goes, I look forward to hearing your response. 

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• StuartG
    StuartG Member ✭✭
    Hi Jasmine,
    I have not used Cloud Sync for quite awhile because I don't use the mobile app, so there were no Cloud Account Details shown - just a blank space below the Quicken profile info. I have now turned on Cloud Sync and set the dataset and file name to match as you describe. After performing a sync (and an update on the Synchrony/Chevron account), the online balance is still not correct -- it matches the register balance from Oct 2, 2021.
  • Quicken Jared
    StuartG said:
    Hi Jasmine,
    I have not used Cloud Sync for quite awhile because I don't use the mobile app, so there were no Cloud Account Details shown - just a blank space below the Quicken profile info. I have now turned on Cloud Sync and set the dataset and file name to match as you describe. After performing a sync (and an update on the Synchrony/Chevron account), the online balance is still not correct -- it matches the register balance from Oct 2, 2021.
    Hello @StuartG

I am sorry that this issue is still a present concern. Thank you for keeping in contact with us and providing us with updates regarding what is happening.

What connection method are you using to try to link or add your Chevron/Synchrony accounts? You can check this anytime by going to Tools > Account List and then clicking the Edit button next to each of the affected accounts associated with this financial institution. Next, navigate to the Online Services tab. You should be able to find the connection method here.

I look forward to hearing back from you about this.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • StuartG
    StuartG Member ✭✭
    Express Web Connect
  • Quicken Jared
    StuartG said:
    Express Web Connect
    Hello @StuartG,

I am sorry to hear that the resolution is still unclear, as of yet. Thank you for providing that additional information for us, and for keeping in communications.

At this stage, I recommend reaching out to Quicken support, given the circumstances and the connection method being used. I am providing a link below where the proper contact information can be found:

https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

Feel free to reach out with any additional questions or concerns.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • StuartG
    StuartG Member ✭✭
    An update... as expected, the out-of-date Quicken on-line balance that is displayed after an update moved ahead by a couple of weeks. It now matches exactly the balance from mid-Oct 2021 (the prior balance displayed was from end of Sep 2021). It really seems like it is syncing with balances from exactly 6 months ago. I've not discovered any way to bring it up to date.
This discussion has been closed.