Is there a way to run renaming rules on past transactions?

rvseidl
rvseidl Member
I have edited a renaming rule. Is there a way to run it on the transaction register>

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022 Answer ✓
    Not that I am aware of.  But what you can do is use the Find and Replace tool (Edit > Find/Replace).
    Alternately, you can pull up the Transaction report (Reports > Banking > Transaction).  Customize it to show only the old Payee and the date range you want.  Then do the left click 1st line and Shift+left click last line to shade all the transactions.  Right click anywhere on the shaded transactions and left click on Rename Payee.  Enter the new Payee name you want and click on OK.  All the shaded transactions will be updated to show the new Payee name.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    No, renaming rules only run during the download.

What you will need to do to fix existing transactions is either Find and Replace (Ctrl+H in the register) or maybe use the filter text box at the top of the register and then use multiple select to change them.

To use multiple select, select the first transaction, and then hold down the Shift key and right click on the last one and the transactions will be selected and because you used the right click instead of left click the menu will popup and you can Edit transactions, and use the dialog that comes up to change what you need.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022 Answer ✓
    Not that I am aware of.  But what you can do is use the Find and Replace tool (Edit > Find/Replace).
    Alternately, you can pull up the Transaction report (Reports > Banking > Transaction).  Customize it to show only the old Payee and the date range you want.  Then do the left click 1st line and Shift+left click last line to shade all the transactions.  Right click anywhere on the shaded transactions and left click on Rename Payee.  Enter the new Payee name you want and click on OK.  All the shaded transactions will be updated to show the new Payee name.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• rvseidl
    rvseidl Member
    Thanks for the response. Maybe the Quicken designers will look at this for a future upgrade.
This discussion has been closed.