Revert back to older version

Ken267
Ken267 Member ✭✭
edited April 2022 in Reports (Windows)
I just downloaded the program from quicken. It's version 38.30. Guess that's the safe one, since it resolved my issue, only to introduce a new one. Now my "PLANNING" tab won't let me "change assumptions". Says 'navigation to the web site was cancelled'.
Not sure what's happening at Quicken anymore. Maybe they have lost too many proficient employees?

Answers

• Ken267
    Ken267 Member ✭✭
    :( :)
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    We may update or revert to any release by performing a clean uninstall, installing while disconnected from the internet and applying the appropriate Mondo Patch.  If reverting, I suggest restoring a Quicken file saved prior to updating from the earlier release. 

If you haven’t already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken

If you're reverting to an earlier release, use an earlier version of the installation program.  If you haven't saved one, you may download the earliest subscription version available at: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/install-for-quicken-2018---subscription.html 

We may download Mondo Patches at: https://www.quicken.com/support/patching-updates-windows,  https://www.quicken.com/support/reinstalling-and-patching-your-quicken-subscription-version-after-your-membership-has, or http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html

To prevent Quicken from applying an update without your approval, I suggest you set Windows UAC settings appropriately (choose default or always notify).
  • Ken267
    Ken267 Member ✭✭
    I did revert to Version 38.30 by simply downloading on reinstalling (that's the last 'clean' version I guess. However, it introduced a new issue; "PLANNING" now won't let me 'change assumptions'. "CAINT REACE THE QW.EXEC WEBSITE"
    Quicken must have lost most of their good employees?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Ken267 said:
    I did revert to Version 38.30 by simply downloading on reinstalling (that's the last 'clean' version I guess. However, it introduced a new issue; "PLANNING" now won't let me 'change assumptions'. "CAINT REACE THE QW.EXEC WEBSITE"
    Quicken must have lost most of their good employees?
    That is the reason for suggesting you use the QCleanUI procedure and reinstalling.  It has been pointed out that the are some cached files that seem to be causing that problem.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe that R38.30 sometimes does not display the Lifetime Planner Change Assumptions or Investing > Allocations Rebalance Portfolio as well as other screens. This is due to issues with Quicken's built-in web browser, which were fixed in R39.xx.

@Chris_QPW, have you confirmed that these issues are not present in R38.30 if you run QCleanUI before installing it?

And has the stand-alone version of QCleanUI been fixed so it no longer trashes the TurboTax registration?

Someone should publish a complete step by step procedure for reverting from 39.xx to 38.30 that introduces as few side effects as possible. I have a feeling a lot of people will be doing this in the next few days, unless the promised further patch to 39.xx actually fixes the paycheck issues.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022

And has the stand-alone version of QCleanUI been fixed so it no longer trashes the TurboTax registration?
    I did a quick test of the new QCleanUI scripts and they no longer seem to damage the TT registration.  My confidence level is 90% since I didn't test it on my full install of TT as I had already used up three of my licenses.
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    BK said:

I did a quick test of the new QCleanUI scripts and they no longer seem to damage the TT registration.  My confidence level is 90% since I didn't test it on my full install of TT as I had already used up three of my licenses.

OK that's good. Here are some open questions for me at least. These have all come up in recent discussions and I don't know the answers for sure.

If I want to revert, should I uninstall Quicken from the Control Panel first, or does QCleanUI do that?

Where should I go to get the latest version of QCleanUI?

What are the correct steps for running QCleanUI? I have read that the steps listed in the Help article here
    https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken
    are out of date.

After running QCleanUI, will the Mondo patch work, or do I need to get a full install, or are they the same?

Where should I go to get a particular version to install that will work after running QCleanUI? 

When installing, to prevent an automatic update to a later version I don't want, can I just turn off wifi and/or unplug my Ethernet cable, or is there something else I should do to disconnect from the Internet?

Thanks for everyone's help.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    EDIT, fixed some typos.

@Jim_Harman here is my take on all your questions.

Running QCleanUI will do the uninstall. Note they say that the install of Quicken will run the QCleanUI and as such you don't need to do it.  This might be true, but certainly wouldn't be true for older year versions of Quicken.  What's more if you uninstall any version of Quicken then you defeat what QCleanUI does.  QCleanUI starts with the registry key for a given release, and then chases out all the references to what that version put in the registry and cleans them.  If you uninstall QCleanUI can't get started on that job.

Here it is running where Quicken is installed:

Notice it sees "Quicken 2018" and uninstalls/cleans it.

Here is what it looks like if you run it after Quicken is uninstalled:

So, if you choose to believe that Quicken Subscription is going to do this process then in my opinion running QCleanUI is useless unless you are going to use the "Clean All" because you think you have some older year versions you need to clean up.

Depending on what you choose the really more important part of the QCleanUI procedure is removing all Quicken's program and configuration files.

The latest version of QCleanUI can be found here:
    Using QcleanUI to resolve issues installing or uninstalling Quicken for Windows

After running QCleanUI or uninstalling Quicken you can't run a Mondo patch.  There isn't anything to patch at that point.

Even though the Mondo patch has basically everything that is in the full install they aren't exactly the same.  I'm not 100% sure of the exact differences, but there is going to be at least one, and that is the full install starting from scratch whereas the patch is "applying the differences" to get it up to the proper state.

You can get the full install in you Quicken.com account or from this page:
    How do I download Quicken from Quicken.com to install or reinstall it?

BUT that is really only if you are trying to get the "current version".

Let me go into what patching is all about.
    Say I have a program that consists of 10 files.  I change 1 of them.  Patching is the idea that after installing the original 10 files, that I "patch" by overwriting the 1 changed file with the new one.  This would the "old non-Mondo patching".  And note that the old "non mondo patching" would actually look at the version number of the file and if it isn't newer, it wouldn't patch it (to speed up patching).

The basic difference with Mondo is that it overwrites the file without caring if the file version is newer or not.

A patch is created by taking a difference at each version and seeing what files it should update to get to this point.   This a "forward difference/patching" system.

In most cases one can reverse patch too (go from a newer version to any older one) and Quicken Inc is even counting on that in this article.
    Reinstalling and patching your Quicken Subscription version after your membership has expired | Quicken

But this isn't 100%.  Note that there are possibilities that what is done in one direction will not produce the same result in the other direction.  I have personally found that reverse patch Quicken Subscription back to versions released in 2018 doesn't work right.

Now one has to understand that a full release has a "version number".  In other words, if you have been downloading every full install you would find they have been updating them, they aren't always relying on the download patch to bring it up to date.  Right now, the version that will be installed even with blocking the install of the patch, is going to be R38.30.

I'm sure they use a combination of updating the full install from time to time, and in between counting on the patch to bring it up to date, but for sure they aren't going to be giving you an install that guarantees that it is old then the version you want to end up with.
    That is the reason for this discussion:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7909650/im-curious-to-see-if-people-keep-old-copies-of-the-quicken-install-program

So, blocking the patch install with disabling the network connection, is only effective if you are actually installing a version of Quicken that is older than the one you want to patch to.  Otherwise, you are just wasting your time disabling the network connection.

Now why do I say disabling the network connection instead of "unplug the Internet cable/network cable"?
    Doing so will certainly work but Quicken isn't going to know that the cable is unplugged so it is going to make the request and it will have to wait for the response to fail.  Networks have long times, on purpose.  That means you might be looking at minutes before it gets and error on trying to get the patch and stopping.

If you are on Wifi, then turning it off or going into Airplane mode is going to send an immediate error, and then Quicken will give up and finish the install.  In the case of ethernet you get the same result by disabling the network.  Unfortunately, this isn't as straightforward.

Start button, type Network status.
    Change adapter options, right click on the connection and select Disable.

When you want it back on, right click on it and select Enable.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    BK said:

OK that's good. Here are some open questions for me at least. These have all come up in recent discussions and I don't know the answers for sure.

If I want to revert, should I uninstall Quicken from the Control Panel first, or does QCleanUI do that?
    QCleanUI does uninstall Quicken.
    Where should I go to get the latest version of QCleanUI?
    What are the correct steps for running QCleanUI? I have read that the steps listed in the Help article here
    are out of date.
    The part that is still poorly described is the section describing how to cleanup the Quicken shared folders.  Hopefully some day Quicken Support will correct the guidance.  In summary, there are folders named Quicken that may appear in certain locations that should be removed after performing the QCleanUI.  These Quicken folders may appear in few well known locations.  The locations missing from the descriptions at this time are the \Program Data folder and the user's AppData\Roaming and AppData\Local folders.  Note: Intuit folder references are correct and date back to older Quicken versions.
    After running QCleanUI, will the Mondo patch work, or do I need to get a full install, or are they the same?
    You do need to install Quicken before attempting to apply a Mondo Patch.
    Where should I go to get a particular version to install that will work after running QCleanUI? 
    The answer depends on the version of Quicken you are attempting to install. 

If you're installing a subscription release and have not saved the install program, you may download the earliest subscription version available at: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/install-for-quicken-2018---subscription.html 

Quicken Deluxe 2013 and Quicken Deluxe 2004 are available at: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken

Otherwise, you need to locate a copy of the appropriate installation program yourself.  
    When installing, to prevent an automatic update to a later version I don't want, can I just turn off wifi and/or unplug my Ethernet cable, or is there something else I should do to disconnect from the Internet?
    You can.  There are variety of ways to prevent the install program from downloading and applying the latest update.  My preferred method is to block the outbound connection to the Internet from the computer at the router.
    Thanks for everyone's help.
    You are welcome.
This discussion has been closed.