Tax Planner "Withholding to Date" is not reporting all the tax line items

JM2
JM2 Member
I have been a long time user of the "Tax Planner" tool (circa 2005). Recently (last 3-6mo) the Withholdings are not reporting the correct amount.

It should show the following...

Tax:Fed
Tax:Medicare
Tax:Soc Sec

However, now it *only* shows Tax:Fed. Thus, when estimating how much taxes you have paid to date, it grossly underestimates. :(

The same is true for Spouse tax withholdings, only "Tax Spouse:Fed" is tallied.
Tagged:

Answers

• JM2
    JM2 Member
    I just realized - I bet it's related to the bug where you can't add tax items to a Paycheck. Because it's the same default line items which should be there.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    The withholdings in the Tax Planner should only be the federal tax withholdings.  They're only used to determine how much of the estimated federal tax you will have paid.  You should see the accumulated medicare and social security withholdings on the Tax Center view in Tax-related Expenses YTD and in the appropriate Tax reports.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tax Planner operates on Tax Line Items, not on Categories. You should be able to connect your categories to appropriate TLIs (assuming your paycheck transactions retains the full set of splits).
    It shows Tax:Fed because that category is correctly linked with the TLI W-2:Federal tax withheld, self.
    Connect both Tax:Medicare and Tax:Soc Sec to the appropriate TLI, Form 1040:Fed tax w/h, Soc. Sec., self, and they should show totalled in Tax Planner. There is not a separate TLI for Medicare withholding.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    Tax Planner operates on Tax Line Items, not on Categories. You should be able to connect your categories to appropriate TLIs (assuming your paycheck transactions retains the full set of splits).
    It shows Tax:Fed because that category is correctly linked with the TLI W-2:Federal tax withheld, self.
    Connect both Tax:Medicare and Tax:Soc Sec to the appropriate TLI, Form 1040:Fed tax w/h, Soc. Sec., self, and they should show totalled in Tax Planner. There is not a separate TLI for Medicare withholding.

I suspect you're confusing the federal tax withheld on social security income with the social security and medicare tax being withheld from a paycheck.

Tax:Medicare  tax line item should be  W2-Medicare tax withheld, self 
    Tax:Soc Sec    tax line item should be  W2-Soc. Sec. tax withheld, self 

A spouse's pay check should use W2-Medicare tax withheld, spouse and W2-Soc. Sec. tax withheld, spouse 

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Sherlock said:
    I suspect you're confusing the federal tax withheld on social security income with the social security and medicare tax being withheld from a paycheck.

I am confused a bit. I missed seeing those two TLIs because I was looking for them in the Tax Planner and did not find them. Are they used anywhere in the TP and I just missed them?

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    They're assigned in the category list ... and because of this assignment they appear in the TP.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Can you show me? I no longer have a paycheck, so have to fake it. I added this subcategory but its TLI does not appear in Tax Planner anywhere that I can find.

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Sherlock said:

I am confused a bit. I missed seeing those two TLIs because I was looking for them in the Tax Planner and did not find them. Are they used anywhere in the TP and I just missed them?
    Those two TLIs are not used in the Tax Planner.  They're not needed to track and project the federal income tax.
  • JM2
    JM2 Member
    Thanks guys. Helpful.

Yes, when i said Tax:Medicare it should have been "W2-Medicare tax withheld, self ". But i didn't know that because it doesn't show up on my list anymore. Why does my list look all jacked??

In some good news, i just got R39.23 and and they paycheck tax options are back! So at least they fixed that bug.
  • JM2
    JM2 Member
    I came up with a ghetto work around, just change the tax line item each is associated with.

Tax:Fed = W-2:Federal tax withheld, self
    Tax:Medicare = W-2:Federal tax withheld, self
    Tax:Soc Sec = W-2:Federal tax withheld, self

For the sake of estimating withholding for the year it should work, right?
    (or am i missing something important?)
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    JM2 said:
    I came up with a ghetto work around, just change the tax line item each is associated with.

Tax:Fed = W-2:Federal tax withheld, self
    Tax:Medicare = W-2:Federal tax withheld, self
    Tax:Soc Sec = W-2:Federal tax withheld, self

For the sake of estimating withholding for the year it should work, right?
    (or am i missing something important?)
    Tax:Soc Sec    tax line item should be  W2-Soc. Sec. tax withheld, self 

Your medicare and social security withholdings are not included on the W-2 as Federal income tax withheld (box 2).

If you include medicare and social security withholdings in federal tax withholdings, the tax planner will think you are withholding more federal tax than you actually are. 
  • JM2
    JM2 Member
    Yes, you are right. i'm getting all turned around because of the child tax credit. :(
    it's not baked into the estimates by default and it's showing i owe a lot more.
This discussion has been closed.