missing a transaction

Options
meburke98
meburke98 Member
My Quicken for Mac is not recognizing a specific monthly transaction from January 2022, while it does recognize it from February 2022. I've confirmed it's listed on my bank statement and the app was refreshed. It makes me not trust the data. How to fix this?

Answers

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    What do you mean by "not recognizing"? Is it not downloading to the register? Not appearing in a report? What specifically are you not seeing that you expected to see?

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• meburke98
    meburke98 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the fast response. To clarify what I mean, I see on my checking account that I paid X amount for a monthly car payment. However, after refreshing Quicken, I don't see the January car payment listed when I select All Transactions, This Year, All Banking Accounts, I don't see the January payment Under Spending or reflected in the Quicken Budget for this year. Aside from refreshing, what are the other ways to trigger a reconciliation with the bank accounts to ensure all transactions are reflected in Quicken?
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why can't you simply manually type in the missing transaction?  Which was, most likely, accidentally deleted at some point?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Jon
    Options
    If you download a transaction & then accidentally delete it, I don't know of any way to get it back other than to manually re-enter it as @NotACPA suggests. Quicken remembers that you previously downloaded that transaction & won't put it back into your register again.

• meburke98
    meburke98 Member
    Options
    I didn't delete the transaction, it just didn't show up. While I can manually add it, it removes the entire point of trusting the data it provides. While I knew about this monthly transaction, I may not know of other non-scheduled transactions. Not trusting the data drastically reduces the value of using this tool. Is there troubleshooting support to determine root cause of it not appearing?
  • Jon
    Options
    That's why I reconcile my accounts to their statements every month. Trust but verify.

If you want in-person assistance, call Customer Support.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    meburke98 said:
    Is there troubleshooting support to determine root cause of it not appearing?
    What troubleshooting tool could reveal data which is missing? ;) Seriously, this is why we reconcile our accounts: to spot any discrepancies between what's in the real world financial account and in the corresponding Quicken account. Sometimes as users, we make inadvertent mistakes, sometimes not even knowingly; sometimes there's a glitch from the financial institution. Reconciling is how we assure that both have identical data. If you're experiencing missing transactions on a recurring basis, then more work is necessary to figure out what's going on; if it's one transaction, I'd just enter it and move on. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's quite possible that for reasons unknown, the downloaded transaction in the above problem case was mis-matched to an older transaction and did not create a new transaction when it should have.
    Are you using a Scheduled Reminder Transaction for this particular loan payment transaction? Or are you relying on downloaded data to automagically fill your register with new transactions?
    I recommend using Scheduled Reminders for all of these recurring transactions. Record the transaction into your register on or before the Due Date. This makes it possible for Quicken to match the newly downloaded transaction to the one already existing in your register and you won't have any problems.

This discussion has been closed.