New Debt Account

Options
Chuck64@
Chuck64@ Member ✭✭
I am trying to add a new debt account for the balance due on my 2021 federal tax. I have a debt account named 2019 Federal Tax. When I try to add 2021 Federal Tax Quicken says I already have an account with that name. I don't.

Best Answer

• Chuck64@
    Chuck64@ Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Found the answer with the help of Quicken support. I had created a 'Category' with the name 2021 Federal Tax. Quicken compares category names and account names when adding accounts.

Answers

• Chuck64@
    Chuck64@ Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Found the answer with the help of Quicken support. I had created a 'Category' with the name 2021 Federal Tax. Quicken compares category names and account names when adding accounts.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for posting your update here.  I'm sure there will be others who find this to be helpful.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have a category "Prior Year Taxes", with Sub-cats "Federal" and "State".
    The date of the transaction indicates what year it's for ... so that I don't need  50 (and counting) separate categories for those prior year taxes.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    NotACPA said:
    I have a category "Prior Year Taxes", with Sub-cats "Federal" and "State".
    The date of the transaction indicates what year it's for ... so that I don't need  50 (and counting) separate categories for those prior year taxes.

A perfectly legitimate method for many people but for others who want to see more detail it comes up a bit short because transaction dates alone are not the best way to determine which calendar year the tax payements and refunds are really for.  For instance, when the annual tax return is done and additional tax needs to be paid that tax still due for the prior year is paid in the current year.  And when a refund is coming for one year it will always be received in the following year.  And for those who might have a tax payment plan for prior year taxes those payments are made in the current year, not the prior year but they are for the prior year.  So, I can see the benefit of having taxes further categorized by calendar year.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Boatnmaniac, while I can see your point ... a category (let alone 50  -- that how many federal returns I've filed) with a single transaction in it seems like overkill.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

This discussion has been closed.