Bad reconciled transaction (Q Mac)

tcroots78
tcroots78 Member ✭✭
I have a reconciled transaction that I figured out was in error and was causing a problem (through some fixes I deleted it). So, now my balance is correct...YAY!

But, now it's messing up my current reconciliation b/c it is still on an old one...that now shows it being as having a "difference"...suspiciously the exact amt of the deleted transaction

I hit re-reconcile, scroll down, and see that the transaction shows as deleted. But I can't seem to delete it from the reconciliation totals or fix those in any way. What to do?

All subsequent ones show a "difference: of $0.00, but the quick balance to the reconciled amt is off
Tagged:

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    tcroots78 said:
    I have a reconciled transaction that I figured out was in error and was causing a problem (through some fixes I deleted it). So, now my balance is correct...YAY!

But, now it's messing up my current reconciliation b/c it is still on an old one...that now shows it being as having a "difference"...suspiciously the exact amt of the deleted transaction :)

I hit re-reconcile, scroll down, and see that the transaction shows as deleted. But I can't seem to delete it from the reconciliation totals or fix those in any way. What to do?

All subsequent ones show a "difference: of $0.00, but the quick balance to the reconciled amt is off :(
    Hello @tcroots78,       

I am sorry to hear about this issue with a deleted transaction seemingly changing balances. Thank you for drawing our attention to this problem.

First, is the transaction still appearing in the appropriate register? Also, where is your current active data file located. You can doublecheck this by going to File > Show this file on my computer in the upper menu at the top of the screen in Quicken.

I look forward to conversing with you about this in greater detail.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • tcroots78
    tcroots78 Member ✭✭
    Hey, the transaction is gone from the register. I can restore it (and played with that), but I do not want to do so as it should never have been.

As to the file location, I can navigate to it just fine. Not in a habit of posting paths on forums, sorry. If you can tell me what you are looking for, I am certain I can do it.
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Hello @tcroots78

Thank you for your response. 

Knowing where your file is located aids us in working towards a resolution based upon if your file is stored on your computer's local hard drive versus being stored in an external drive or in some sort of cloud or application such as dropbox. 

Thank you. 

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• tcroots78
    tcroots78 Member ✭✭
    Cool. It’s local
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Hello @tcroots78,

Thank you for your response, glad to know that your drive is local. 

I recommend restoring from a backup that was created before this reconciliation error occurred and then going from there. You can do this by:
    1. In Quicken, select File > Restore from Backup...
    2. Browse your computer or external media to find the backup file you want to restore. The Quicken backup file has the extension .quicken2017backup or .quickenbackup.
    3. Select the file to restore.
    4. Click Choose
    Please let me know how this goes, I look forward to hearing your response. 

-Quicken Jasmine

• chfont411
    chfont411 Member ✭✭
    I am having this problem too. I used the wrong statement to reconcile my account and ended up having to make a lot of changes to that file. All my earlier reconciliations had no discrepincies. I don't want to restore from an earlier backup because then I will lose all the work I've done today. Is there a way to save the transactions that did reconcile correctly and then import them back into the restored backup file?
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Hello @chfont411,

Thank you for contacting the Community with this question, I am sorry that occurred. 

Unfortunately, the only way to fix this would be to follow the steps I previously posted regarding restoring a backup and then redo the work that you did. There is no way to select specific accounts nor is there a way to import the data into the same accounts located in the restored file. 

I am sorry for any inconvenience this has caused. 
    Thank you. 

-Quicken Jasmine

• chfont411
    chfont411 Member ✭✭
    Thanks for getting back to me. BTW, Isn't Quicken aware of this, and are they working on a fix? I mean if you can reconcile your account Quicken should too, right?
  • tcroots78
    tcroots78 Member ✭✭
    Agreed. Quicken should allow me to fix an old reconciliation. It has the “re-reconcile”. But I can’t clear this errant transaction that no longer exists.

Also, this is from 201&. So. I have now way to restore
This discussion has been closed.