Quicken doesnt open after 3-13-2022 Windows update

Quicken doesn't open after a Windows update done on 3-13-2022. I uninstalled and reinstalled...but still no good. I use Onedrive but data file is always on my computer.

Comments

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Don't make us pull teeth.

What Quicken version? What Windows version? What goes wrong when you try to run Quicken? Is your data file in a OneDrive-monitored folder? Can you open Quicken while holding CTRL to get an empty window without opening your data file?

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Writesoon
    Writesoon Member
    I'm using Deluxe Windows subscription (current). When I click on desktop icon the Quicken banner opens and hangs. Data file is in a Onedrive-monitored folder. The program did open once when I held CTRL key down (and I was able to access the data file), but it was a rather long time until the program opened. Next time I tried that it didnt work.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, going in for a molar: are you on Win11? Others are reporting new startup issues.
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7910031/quicken-freezing-at-launch 

Gimme an incisor now: move your data file out from under OneDrive to an unmonitored folder and see whether that helps.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• FIREUser22
    FIREUser22 Member ✭✭
    Just wanted to add my experience as well. I believe it was also a Windows 10 update from 3/13 that's causing Quicken to crash on my machine. Currently running Win10 build 19049 with Quicken R39.23 (Latest update).

I performed the following steps and still didn't get a successful run.
    I opened Quicken by holding CTRL to just open without a data file, click on Help->About Quicken (crash)
    I downloaded and applied the R39.23 Mondo patch manually and tried to open Quicken again as before (crash)
    I uninstalled using Revo Uninstaller to clean up all registry and folders left behind. And reinstalled from a fresh download from Quicken.com. I opened Quicken normally (not holding CTRL) went to Help->About Quicken (crash).

My data file is in OneDrive as well, but I'm not even able to test that far. Hoping a new patch from Quicken or Microsoft will resolve it.
  • Writesoon
    Writesoon Member
    I'm running Win 11.
    As mentioned above, there was a Win update that occurred immediately before this issue appeared.
    Per Rocket J Squirrel's suggestion I moved the data file so it's not being synched with Onedrive, then removed and reinstalled Quicken. I held the CRTL key down and the program opened...but it took more than 5 minutes. I accessed the data file and it worked fine. However, when I tried again I couldn't open program.
    Since I know the data is not compromised I'm giving up for the evening and wait for a patch.
  • Writesoon
    Writesoon Member
    I did not get any notice of something being fixed...but today it appears to be working normally.
  • FIREUser22
    FIREUser22 Member ✭✭
    > @Writesoon said:
    > I did not get any notice of something being fixed...but today it appears to be working normally.

Did you do any changes to your machine? Quicken is still crashing whenever I try opening normally or holding CTRL and going to Help-> About Quicken. I may test running Quicken on a virtual machine.
  • Writesoon
    Writesoon Member
    I did move the Quicken data file to an area that was not being synched with Onedrive.
    I then moved the file back to being synched with Onedrive...and the program worked fine.
    So: I dont know what happened to fix the issue.
    Program continues to function normally.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @FIREUser22 and @Writesoon

As is indicated in any number of places and frequently in posts here in this forum - it is highly NOT recommended to keep your datafile on OneDrive (or any thing similar to OneDrive) OR on any drive that is synched with OneDrive (or any thing similar to OneDrive).  If you continue to do so, you are asking for datafile corruption.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• FIREUser22
    FIREUser22 Member ✭✭
    Thanks Writesoon and Frankx.

I'm actually using VeraCrypt (encrypted container that has the Quicken file) in OneDrive. I moved the quicken file out of OneDrive just in case, but Quicken still crashes on my machine.

I created a virtual machine, that is using an old version of Windows 10 20H2, copied the Quicken file over and everything runs normally. No data corruption found, no quicken crashes.

I saw in another post the user basically formatted his machine to resolve the crashing issue. I will probably do the same if I can't find the cause.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have Controlled Folder Access enabled?

FAQ: Windows Defender & Controlled Folder Access — Quicken
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • FIREUser22
    FIREUser22 Member ✭✭
    Hi Greg,
    Just checked, the Controlled Folder Access is disabled on my machine.
  • raftorres63
    raftorres63 Member ✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Gents, I've had this issue since February 2022. I've been able to get around it by installing the latest patch file when this occurs. The key point is I kept Quicken open at all times. Once I close it I can never open it again. This last patch did work the first time but I had to restart my PC and closed Quicken. Now its not allowing me to open it even after reinstalling the patch file. My files are on my local drive as well as my backups. I don't know what broke this back in February but it started after a Windows update.
    I'm on a Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H2, OS build 19044.1620.
  • FIREUser22
    FIREUser22 Member ✭✭
    Just another update on my testing. I updated the virtual machine to the latest Windows 10 updates, and tested Quicken for about two weeks. So far it is working. Unfortunately, this means the issue isn't so straightforward to reproduce.
This discussion has been closed.