Need to move My Money 2002 to Quicken Deluxe for Mac

hecras
hecras Member ✭✭
I'm hoping someone can help me with this?
I'm running My Money 2002 for Windows on my Mac using VMWare . I need to import My Money Files to my newly purchased Quicken Deluxe for Mac. I've read the tutorials and I cannot seem to import My Money over. I have 20 years of historic data that I want to import. Has anyone done this or can anyone offer some tips?

Comments

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe you need to convert from MS Money to Quicken Windows and then to Quicken Mac. Your subscription includes both Windows and Mac version so you can download/install Quicken Windows in your VM and then convert to Quicken Mac.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • hecras
    hecras Member ✭✭
    Thank you for quick response, don't laugh, I'm running Money 2002 on Windows 98. I'm not sure I can install Quicken on that OS?
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    There is no way to import from MS Money to Quicken Mac, so I think you do have to go through Quicken windows. In VMWare Fusion, can you create a separate virtual machine to install a more recent version of Windows? And then install the current Quicken Windows program so you can import from MS Money. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 2022
    Is Windows 98 the only version of Windows you have access to? If so, I'm not sure you'll be able to bridge the gap from Money to QuickenMac.

If you do have a system with Windows 8 or better, then you can follow the instructions here to install Q2004 and import your Money data to that, then load the resulting file into Q2013. If I'm not mistaken, Quicken 2004 will run on WIn98 but Quicken 2013 requires XP or Vista or better, and the current version requires at least Windows 8. I can personally vouch for both 2004 & 2013 running on Windows 10, at least well enough to load a file & save the updated file. I was able to convert QWin files from the mid-90s to the current version of Quicken Windows using those instructions, and then move the updated files over to Quicken Mac.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• hecras
    hecras Member ✭✭
    I can probably get my hands on a copy of Windows 10. At this point I'll buy it if I have to , I have 20 years of data that I'm trying save. Once I import Money to windows , it imports all my Money data correct?
  • Jon
    edited March 2022
    I don't know, I never used MS Money. This page mentions some specific information that doesn't get moved over to Quicken if you're using the Home& Business version of Money, but aside from that it sounds like it works pretty well. 

While that page has a disclaimer about trying to do the conversion, I believe that's referring to the current version of Quicken. If you follow the instructions I linked to before & use Q2004 to do the conversion I suspect it will work better.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Given the disclaimer in the link that @jon provided, I'd be inclined to start over in a new QMac file as of 1/1/22 if the conversion doesn't work as expected.  Such MIGHT be your only option.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Jon
    edited March 2022
    Since Quicken 2004 will run in Windows 98 (AFAIK), there's no harm in trying the first step & importing the data into Quicken 2004. if that works out you can proceed from there, otherwise you know it's probably not worth pursuing further (if Q2004 can't import from Money 2002, newer versions probably can't either).

• Greg_the_Geek
    Doesn't the OP need to upgrade to Microsoft Money Plus Deluxe before importing into Quicken 2004?
  • Jon
    edited March 2022
    It depends on which version of Quicken you're using to do the import. If you're going to import into Quicken 2004, then upgrading to a version of Money that came out after 2004 (like Plus Deluxe) would not be a good idea, IMO. Better to stick with Money 2002 in that case. (BTW, that link doesn't work.)

OTOH, if you want to try importing a Money file directly into the current version of QWin, then upgrading to the most recent version of Money first would be a good idea. I think that's Money Plus Sunset. However, since Quicken is recommending against trying to import Money files into the current QWin, I think you'd be better off trying to import into Quicken 2004 if that's an option.

• Greg_the_Geek
    FWIW, I do have a copy of Money Plus Deluxe and Sunset.
  • hecras
    hecras Member ✭✭
    Thanks for all input and advice everyone, it's GREATLY appreciated. I'm going to try the conversion in the next few days and keep everyone posted.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    @hecras, if you need a copy of MS Money Deluxe Sunset. you can download it from MS Money Sunset Editions - QuicknPerlWiz
  • hecras
    hecras Member ✭✭
    > @Greg_the_Geek said:
    > @hecras, if you need a copy of MS Money Deluxe Sunset. you can download it from MS Money Sunset Editions - QuicknPerlWiz

Awesome, thank you gain for all your input!
This discussion has been closed.