In the investment tab ETF ticker VTI the Return (%) YTD, 1-year, and 3-year columns are blank

Marvin2020
Marvin2020 Member ✭✭
edited May 2022 in Investing (Windows)
VANGUARD TOTAL STOCK MARKET ETF In the investment tab ETF ticker VTI will not update the Year to Date, 1year, 3year return.

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to be picky, but for us to help, what are the exact titles of the Portfolio columns that are not updating?

Note that the data for the Return (%) XXX columns comes from Quicken's quote provider and is not calculated by Quicken.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Marvin2020
    Marvin2020 Member ✭✭
    The column titles are; Return (%) YTD, & Return (%) 1-Year, & Return (%) 3-Year

In addition, the same fields will not populate for ticker symbols; VXUS, BNDX. I have a total of 3 investments that will not populate. My other investments will populate return (%)
  • Jim_Harman
    edited March 2022
    For me, the Return (%) XXX columns are blank VUG and VTI. I don't know about VXUS and BNDX, but they are all Vanguard ETFs, so they might well have the same issue.
    As I noted above, this data comes from Quicken's quote provider so Quicken would need to work with them to get this fixed.
    I think your best bet would be to contact Quicken Support and also use the Help > Report a problem link to report his problem.
    The more people who are bothered by this issue and report it, the more likely it is that it will be fixed.
  • Marvin2020
    Marvin2020 Member ✭✭
    Thanks for your advice. I used quicken help and reported this problem.
  • Jim_Harman
    Just using the Reporting a problem may not be enough to get anyone's attention. You should also communicate directly with Quicken Support, via phone (preferably) or Chat. Get a Ticket number for future reference.
  • Marvin2020
    Marvin2020 Member ✭✭
    Thanks I will call them to discuss this.
  • Marvin2020
    Marvin2020 Member ✭✭
    FYI only Ticket T1-IN - 9302808 Quicken support has escalated this to a team that will work on it next week.
  • Jim_Harman
    Sounds like progress! Thanks for following up.
  • Marvin2020
    Marvin2020 Member ✭✭
    I am told this will be corrected in the next update coming out on or about April 1st.
  • Jim_Harman
    edited March 2022
    That would be good news. Are these columns still blank for the affected securities, or are the updates sporadic?

Do you have other ETFs where the columns are populating correctly? Are all the bad ones from Vanguard? I am trying to tell if it is a Vanguard-only issue or if it affects all ETFs.

I edited the title of your post to make the problem clearer.
  • Marvin2020
    Marvin2020 Member ✭✭
    Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund;ETF VTI Has daily performance, but no YTD, No 1Yr, 3yr, 5yr
    Vanguard Total Bond Market Index Fund;Admiral VBTLX Has YTD & 1yr performance, but no 3yr, or 5yr.
    Vanguard Total International Stock Index Fund;ETF VXUS Has daily performance, but no YTD, No 1Yr, 3yr, 5yr
    Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Admiral Shares (VTSAX) Has YTD & 1yr performance, but no 3yr, or 5yr.
    Vanguard Total International Bond Index Fund;ETF BNDX Has daily performance, but no YTD, No 1Yr, 3yr, 5yr
    Allspring Index Asset Allocation Fund - Class A SFAAX Has YTD & 1yr performance, but no 3yr, or 5yr.
    Allspring Spectrum Aggressive Gr A WEAFX Has YTD & 1yr performance, but no 3yr, or 5yr.
    Vanguard Total International Stock Index Fund Admiral Shares MUTF: VTIAX Has YTD & 1yr performance, but no 3yr, or 5yr.
    Vanguard Total International Bond Index Fund Admiral™ Shares MUTF: VTABX Has YTD & 1yr performance, but no 3yr, or 5yr.
    MFS Growth Allocation Fund Class A MUTF: MAGWX Has YTD & 1yr performance, but no 3yr, or 5yr.
  • Jim_Harman
    Thanks. When you say "no performance" is the entry blank or N/A? Also did you hold these securities for the full 3 years, or was it a shorter period in some cases?

What I have seen is that blank entries are what we are discussing here - you held the security at the beginning of the period but the quote provider did not send any data.

It appears that Quicken replaces any data that is sent by the quote provider with N/A if you did not hold any shares at the beginning of the period. 

This is a second bug IMO because these numbers do not depend on your holdings; they are strictly an indication of the security's past performance. The N/A prevents you from seeing this useful data in the Watch List for example, where you are not required to hold any of the security.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Jim_Harman for VTI all of the fields are blank.  I have held VTI for many years.  For other securities that I have held for shorter periods of time it is as you described a number for the ones that I have held for that period, and N/A if I haven't held it for that period.  I don't have any other Vanguard ETFs.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Marvin2020
    Marvin2020 Member ✭✭
    Thanks. When I say "no performance" the entry is blank for all date lengths (time periods) with an exception 3yr and 5yr. 3year and 5 years are all filled with N/A. When I look at the historical data for these tickers (funds or ETFs) the historical data is downloaded and viewable in Quicken so Quicken would only have to do simple calculations. This bug does not seem to be a download or connection issue. It appears to be a quicken issue. Data is resident in my investment tab but quicken is not doing the calculations.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I see this right, you have three securities with daily performance, but no YTD, 1Yr, 3yr, nor 5yr; all ETFs
    • Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund; ETF VTI
    • Vanguard Total International Stock Index Fund; ETF VXUS
    • Vanguard Total International Bond Index Fund; ETF BNDX
    You have another 7 securities (all MFs) with YTD & 1yr performance, but no 3yr, or 5yr.
    • VBTLX, VTSAX, SFAAX, WEAFX, VTIAX, VTABX, and MAGWX
    From your previous post, you seem to be referencing Return % for those periods.  I'll presume you are looking at a Portfolio View (Ctrl-U) with the applicable columns selected.  It is possible other 'views' like dashboard cards may behave differently.  I am not sure what you are basing your "daily performance' summary on.

Of those 10, the only one in my holdings is VTSAX.  For that, I see all four Return %s (YTD, 1-, 3-, and 5-yr) values -- -4.64%, 12.66, 18.74, and 15.64%, respectively as of 3/29/2022.  I have had that fund for many years.  

I think there is a mixture of issues here.  
    1. Quicken does not do any calculations on those 4 Return %s.  As an example, with Gain/Loss, Return, and the 4 Return% periods as columns, change the price of a security.  (I add 100 or 1000 / per share just for simplicity.)  I immediately see Gain/Loss change.  Return (a $ figure) does not change until I exit and restart Quicken (go figure?).  None of the Return% values change.  The Return% values are all downloaded values from Quicken's data supplier.  Quicken does no calculations to determine those values (even though they could, and even though their description says these values include "capital gains" which suggests capital gains and losses realized by sale you have made.)  I suspect the data supplier updates those values daily but have not confirmed that.
    2. For a security I do not currently own (in the Watch List), I get NA for all four periods.  Why, I might ask?  If these are all downloaded data for the security based solely on the per-share price and per-share dividends (etc.) paid, it is wholly reasonable to expect to and want to see performance for periods I did not own the security.
    3. For any security I did not own at the beginning of that period, I get a NA in that Return% column.  This is really an extension of #2.   
    4. For a security with an non-applicable ticker (one not supported by the data supplier; either blank, my made up ticker) -- I will see either blank or NA.  Blank if I owned the security throughout the 1, 3, or 5-yr period or prior to Jan 1 for YTD value.  NA for any period the begins prior to my ownership.
    5. #4 also applies to all ETFs in my file, as if the data supplier does not supply those return % values for ETF's although they will supply price updates and other data.  Thus I have either blanks or NA for all ETFs. 
    6. I do not believe I am currently getting any 3 or 5-yr Return% values for any security other than Mutual Funds.  All my individual stocks currently show NA for those two longer period.
    I believe several years ago, Quicken did calculate Return% values for longer periods and only downloaded data for the YTD values.  When that switch was made, I can't say.  Why that switch was made, I can't say.  Purposeful?  An unintended consequence?  An error (bug, oversight)?  IMNSHO, both a Quicken calculation of return based on the users investment history, and a more generic return are valuable pieces of info.  The Average Annual Return value (Investment Performance Report and through a portfolio view) present a good return value based on the users data.  

• Marvin2020
    Marvin2020 Member ✭✭
    Thanks for this good detail. I have updated My Ticket T1-IN - 9302808 with your additional information. I believe Quicken support is working on a fix. For now ROI% YTD and ROI% 1 year seem to be working and accurate. So for the short term I may use those 2 columns to measure investment performance. I will still watch the progress made by Quicken support. Thanks again.
  • Jim_Harman
    ROI (%) YTD is a good column to use if you want to see the performance impact of your short term trading activity. For longer periods, I would recommend the Avg. Annual Return columns, which use an annualized IRR calculation. 

In most cases, the ROI (%) 1 year and Avg. Annual Return (%) 1 Year are the same, except for the compounding effects included in the latter.

• Marvin2020
    Marvin2020 Member ✭✭
    Thank You for answering my questions. I have updated my investment tab investment view to include the columns that you have suggested.
This discussion has been closed.