Bank of Montreal - Updates complete without an error message but transactions do not download

Potanza
Potanza Member
Good day,

Since march 9th, i have been trying to update my Bank of Montreal accounts. The update completes without any errors, however, no transactions are updated. Please help.

Thank you

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @Potanza,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community about your issue, though I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this.

Do you have a recent backup you can restore? To start with, I suggest restoring a backup file to see if the same issue occurs in the restored file. If needed, please, review this support article. Scroll down and open the blue dropdown section(s) titled Restore Quicken data and/or Restore an automatic backup for instructions on how to restore a backup.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Potanza
    Potanza Member
    The problem is not solved. Updates worked 1 day and did not work the next. Do you have any other suggestions?
  • awround
    awround Member ✭✭
    I am also experiencing the same issue. No error flags but no account information updated
  • Quicken Anja
    @Potanza thank you for following up and @awround thank you for adding to this discussion.

Next, I suggest you try signing out of your data file completely and then signing back in to refresh the registration token for your Online Connected Services. However, I do recommend that you first save a backup file prior to performing these steps.
    1. Navigate to Edit
    2. Preferences...
    3. Quicken ID & Cloud accounts
    4. Click Sign in as a different user (or it might say Sign in using a different Quicken ID)
    5. Follow the prompts to Sign Out
    6. Sign back in using your Quicken ID (email) and password 
    Once that is done, see if the issue still continues to persist.

-Quicken Anja

• Potanza
    Potanza Member
    Thank you. However, it's still not working. Actually, I think I'm making thing worst. Now when it tries to sync it's caught in a loop or it freezes. Is there a way for me to erase en re-set-up the sync and update parameters?
  • Quicken Anja
    Potanza said:
    Thank you. However, it's still not working. Actually, I think I'm making thing worst. Now when it tries to sync it's caught in a loop or it freezes. Is there a way for me to erase en re-set-up the sync and update parameters?
    For what you're requesting, you can try to deactivate all accounts for this financial institution, then force Quicken to "rediscover" all available accounts and see if this will help resolve it. Please, follow the instructions below in order to do so.
    1. Open the Account List in Quicken (Tools > Account List OR Ctrl + A)
    2. If present, select the Show Hidden Accounts checkbox at the bottom of the Account List
    3. Edit each account with this financial institution to Deactivate (or Remove From One Step Update) on the Online Services tab
    4. Click on the General tab and remove any info displayed in the Financial Institution, and Account/Routing Number fields. Note: The account must be deactivated first before these fields can be edited.
    5. When finished, close the Account List
    6. Close, then re-open Quicken
    7. Click the Add Account button at the bottom of the Account Bar on your main view
    8. Walkthrough this process as if you were going to add a new account, providing the login credentials and answering any security questions/processes presented until you reach the screen where Quicken displays the Accounts Discovered at the financial institution
    9. Very carefully LINK each of the found accounts to the appropriate account you already have set up in Quicken.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja

• awround
    awround Member ✭✭
    Signing out and then back into Quicken did not resolve the issue for me. I will try deactivating the accounts this evening.

Cheers,

Adrian
  • awround
    awround Member ✭✭
    I have tried to deactivate and reactivate one of the accounts but that also failed. The reactivation process fails after I enter my bank log-in credentials and start the connection process. The bank log-in credentials are working on the bank website
  • Quicken Anja
    @awround thanks for the update, though I am sorry to hear about the persistent trouble.

When you attempted to reactivate, was there any specific error message(s) and/or code(s) that you received during the process that you could provide us with here, please?

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja

• awround
    awround Member ✭✭
    No error codes at all. Just a blank screen after the "Looking for your accounts at Bank of Montreal" and the rotating icon appear. If I hit the "Connect button" a second time, I get the "We found the following accounts" screen but there are no accounts listed.

The "One Step Updating" screen shows the accounts that should be updated with the "waiting" and "processing data" icons but the summary shows no accounts at all and no error codes.
  • awround
    awround Member ✭✭
    I have used the "Report a problem" function and uploaded all the log files and screen shoots. Unfortunately that process does not provide any direct feedback
  • Quicken Anja
    Thank you for following up and providing those additional details.

Next, I'd like you to sign out again, except this time I'd like you to validate your data file before signing back in. Please save a backup first (if you haven't saved one yet), then follow the instructions provided below.
    1. Navigate to Edit
    2. Preferences...
    3. Quicken ID & Cloud accounts
    4. Click Sign in as a different user (or it might say Sign in using a different Quicken ID)
    5. Follow the prompts to Sign Out
    6. Once signed out, navigate to File
    7. Validate and Repair File...
    8. Validate File
    9. Click OK
    10. Close the Data Log
    11. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    12. Reopen Quicken and sign back in using your Quicken ID (email) and password 
    After you've signed in, follow any prompts until you're back in your data file, and attempt to reconnect the accounts again.

-Quicken Anja

• awround
    awround Member ✭✭
    Okay, I have signed out, validated the data file and then signed back in. No change
  • Quicken Anja
    In that case, I suggest that you try creating a copy of your data file which will rebuild all of the internal lists and database tables. If successful, you would then move forward with the copied file. To create a copy, please navigate to File > Copy or Backup File... > Create a copy or template (see examples below) which will also allow you to select a date range to move forward with.

If you wish to move forward with your entire data file, please check the full date range of your entire data file before copying so you can enter the correct date range if you do not wish to "shrink" your file by eliminating certain dates.

However, it's important to know that doing so will disconnect all online services in the copied file and you will need to sign back in with your Quicken ID and reconnect all of your online accounts, online billers, Quicken Bill Manager services, etc if you plan to use that copied file going forward. The reason for this is that the new copy also creates a new and separate dataset ID which can eliminate certain data file issues that may not always be detected through validating or super validating in the original file.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja

• Milltown
    Milltown Member ✭✭
    I have had the same problem, I have exactly the same problem from the same time.
    I spent 40 minutes with quicken support trying various things to no effect.
    When I tried to relink the BMO chequing account for quick update it was not on the list of accounts to link.
    Quicken then said that the problem was with BMO.
    When you try to reset the account under TYPE OF ACCOUNT it only offered CREDIT CARD as an option.
    I then called the BMO twice, (first support person not very good) the second call got me higher up the IT chain and after a lot of discussion they found someone that admitted there was a problem between BMO and quicken. They couldn’t give me a timeframe for a fix but said keep trying.
    If someone from Quicken has an new idea of how to fix it I would love to hear it, it’s very annoying being 3 weeks without an update.
  • awround
    awround Member ✭✭
    My screen shots for File Copy do not resemble the examples in your instructions. I am using Canadian Quicken R33.7 Build 27.1.33.7.

The copied file did not disconnect the online accounts. No changes in behavior with the copied file
  • kei-ing
    kei-ing Member
    Exactly the same problem as Milltown. Followed all suggestions on this thread with no success. Any ideas to move this issue forward?
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello everyone,

I am sorry that this issue is continuing to affect all of you. Thank you for continuing to provide updates and feedback regarding your individual situations.

At this juncture, it would be most beneficial to begin reaching out to Quicken phone support so that this problem can be further documented and additional investigation can be done. I am providing a link below with the proper contact information with which support can be reached:

https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

Thank you for your patience and we apologize for any inconveniences you are experiencing.

Regards,

Quicken Jared 
  • Milltown
    Milltown Member ✭✭
    Latest update, I was on the phone with Quicken support today and they say the problem has to be fixed with Bank of Montreal and they are working with BMO to fix this. Problem may be related to a different known problem Ticket 8887372. if they fix that it may fix this at the same time. This has been going on for 3 weeks now so hopefully something will get fixed. They both say keep trying to download and maybe one day it may be fixed.
  • farleyyeg
    farleyyeg Member
    edited March 2022
    same issues here for me.

[Removed - Rant/Unhelpful]
  • Milltown
    Milltown Member ✭✭
    I would recommend anyone else experiencing this issue to contact the Bank of Montreal and ask them what is taking so long to fix it and get a timeframe as to when it may happen.
    If the first person you talk to doesn’t seem to relate to your problem ask to speak with someone more familiar with Quicken up the IT chain.
    It’s the squeaky wheel theory, if enough people complain it may speed up the repair.
    I am also considering changing banks if this is not resolved soon as a month to repair an computer programming fault is rediculous.
  • SkiBikeHike
    SkiBikeHike Member ✭✭
    I doubt it's specific only to BMO. Numerous users are also experiencing this exact same issue with Scotiabank, including me. I've contacted Quicken's phone support and the only thing they were willing to do was relocate my file location (they don't like it being on a mapped network drive) and telling me I had to disable my corporate firewall.

I've created a new test file and Express Web Connect works perfectly fine with my network and firewall setup, other than it downloads all the accounts as USD and doesn't recognize my single actual USD account. So my network and firewall are not the problem, and there's clearly something very wrong with One Step Update and/or Express Web Connect. And I doubt 2 banks broke it at the exact same time, in or around March 10.
  • Gautam Tupil
    Gautam Tupil Member ✭✭✭
    > @Milltown said:
    > I have had the same problem, I have exactly the same problem from the same time.
    > I spent 40 minutes with quicken support trying various things to no effect.
    > When I tried to relink the BMO chequing account for quick update it was not on the list of accounts to link.
    > Quicken then said that the problem was with BMO.
    > When you try to reset the account under TYPE OF ACCOUNT it only offered CREDIT CARD as an option.
    > I then called the BMO twice, (first support person not very good) the second call got me higher up the IT chain and after a lot of discussion they found someone that admitted there was a problem between BMO and quicken. They couldn’t give me a timeframe for a fix but said keep trying.
    > If someone from Quicken has an new idea of how to fix it I would love to hear it, it’s very annoying being 3 weeks without an update.

Same issue when I tried to deactivate and the reactivate one step update after I started getting errors with the recent desktop Canadian update.

I have 3 accounts at BMO. Chequing, Mastercard and Line of Credit. When reactivating I am only given the option of adding a new chequing account (listed as credit card which is incorrect) or to link it to my other 2 accounts - that is also incorrect. So, I have to cancel the process. Workaround is to download the transactions from the BMO website.
  • kei-ing
    kei-ing Member
    New Quicken update did not solve the issue discussed above. BMO help does not "help". This has been going on March so not sure why I have this software. Has anyone seen any other recent threads that may help? Thanks
  • SkiBikeHike
    SkiBikeHike Member ✭✭
    Looks like most or all of the other threads discussing this have been closed, despite basically none of them resulting in a conclusion or solution.
  • PanEuropean
    PanEuropean Member
    :# Quicken Managers: This problem has been going on for months, and as of mid-June 2022 it is still not fixed. You still have a significant error in the instructions that appear within the application when a user attempts to set up online services for BMO - the instructions say "Enter your MasterCard number" when it should say "Enter your BMO Debit Card Number". Heck, BMO even has a web-page to advise customers about this error in Quicken instructions, see
    https://www.bmo.com/olbb/help-centre/en/my-accounts/bank-account/account-details.html

I could put up with this defect in the application and Intuit's failure to fix it back in the day when we didn't have to pay an annual fee, but now that you charge an annual fee to users to enable them to download their account information you need to either get this fixed or offer a refund (or subscription prolongation) to your long-suffering customers who are not getting what they are paying for.
  • eallum
    eallum Member
    Hello Community,
    The problem with BMO quicken downloads is a BMO issue, although Quicken support has not been helpful today. Regardless, I suggest that the Canadian BMO user community to also call BMO banking and open a request/escalation to address the issue, as the more users affected the higher the attention and priority will be.

The two reason why the issue is with the BMO account activity download file are that:
    1. the <ACCTID> tag in the file is incorrect. Specifically, in my file it has <ACCTID>55102900XXXXXXXXX for every account I have downloaded regardless of the format (Microsoft money, quickbooks, quicken, simply accounting, spreadsheet) downloaded. The number 55102900XXXXXXXXX is my bank card number, which is the root of the problem here. <ACCTID> should identify the actual bank account number and not the bank card.
    2. All of the other Canadian banks account activities downloads works just fine and correctly identify the account number in the <ACCTID> tag. i.e. the issue is isolated to BMO, it's a BMO issue!

I just called BMO and had a request opened to look into/escalate this and I again suggest that you call BMO and open a complaint/request to escalate the issue. Please post and let us know if you've called BMO and opened a request.

I would like Quicken Developers/Support to also call BMO and open a request and/or post what they are doing about help us here.
  • jcheffer
    jcheffer Member ✭✭
    BMO may have fixed it. I have had this problem since mid-June, but I just downloaded a file, and with a text editor, I see that the ACCTID tag is correct, and it did indeed load into my register for the account.
This discussion has been closed.