Web connect for Sam's Club World Mastercard

Hi. I periodically circle back to this issue, which has bothered me for a couple of years or more.

I am using Quicken Premier, Version R39.23, Build 27.1.39.23 on Windows 10.

I have a credit card account with Sam's Club. It's serviced by Synchrony bank. The website I use to look at account status, transactions, etc. is https://samsclub.syf.com/.

In Quicken, in Account details/Online services, it says "Your Financial institution supports an improved connection method". I'm currently using Web Connect as can be seen in the image. I use One Step Update for all my other accounts; I presume this message means One Step Update is available for this website as well.

If I click on the link provided it brings me to a page where I am to input the login and password (shown in the second image).

If I enter the login and password, it says it can't log in (CC-503 error). (shown in the third image).

I've called the number provided, and they, predictably, say it's a Quicken error.

Notice that the website shown is www.synchronybank.com, not https://samsclub.syf.com/. I suspect that's where the disconnect is happening - Quicken is looking at the wrong bank site.

I assume others have Sam's club accounts and use One Step Connect with no issues. Or not?

Anyone have any advice?

Best Answer

• Bert Onstott
    Bert Onstott Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Frankx -

Thank you! That allowed me to update this account along with all the others using One-step Update.

One thing. Once the user has deactivated Online Services for the account, the user must go to Tools/ Add Account, select "Sams Club Personal Credit Account" as you describe, and connect it to the existing CC account in Quicken. It doesn't work to click on the account and reactivate online services from there.

Just what I had been searching for for so long. Terrific - thanks again!

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Intuit is having difficulty maintaining the Express Web Connect connection method for Quicken.  I suggest you continue to use the Web Connect connection method.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    IF Quicken is looking at the wrong website, Synchrony would have to contact Q/Intuit to correct the matter.  BUT note that Q frequently uses a different URL than you do to Login ... so that discrepancy may not matter.
    And that "improved connection method" refers to Direct Connect or Express Web Connect. One Step Update is merely the method of activating one of those other methods.
    You MIGHT also try using "Guitar Center Credit Card" as your Financial Institution name.  That's what I use for an account, serviced by Synchrony that was created for a large plumbing repair.  I have NO IDEA who "Guitar Center" is, or why this works ... but it does.  The idea came a while back from this forum.
    It's Express Web Connect, but it's been reliable for my once a month payment transaction to Synchrony.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    Hi @Bert Onstott

I have the same card as you and have been connecting it to my Q file for years now with virtually no problems.  I agree that the options that Quicken is now presenting to you to improve your connection are wrong and you are correct when you said "Quicken is looking at the wrong bank site".

The problem is that Synchrony Bank issues a ton of credit cards for various retailers and they have a number of different "connections" that are available to users when they try to add or update their Quicken connections.  But moving up from Web Connect to Express Web Connect is the way to go, in my view.

Since, using the flawed links doesn't work, here are the steps that will allow you to get to Express Web Connect:

1) First backup your Quicken datafile, (just in case).
    2) Open the register for your Sam's Club card and click on the little "Gear" icon in the upper right;
    3) Select "Edit Account Details" and in the popup window select the "Online Services" tab;
    4) Click the "Deactivate" button and then click "Yes". Quicken will deactivate your current "connection".
    5) Once that completes you should see a "Set up now" button > click on that;
    6) In the "Add Account" pop-up window start typing "Sam" and you'll see this:

7) You need to highlight/select the "Sam's Club Personal Credit Accou" and click the "Next" button;
    8) from there you'll be asked to enter your User Name and password, etc. just like you've done in the past.
    9) Once you complete the rest of the steps, you'll have a new Express Web Connect connection to your credit card.

Let me know how that goes or if you have any followup questions.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Bert Onstott
    Bert Onstott Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Frankx -

Thank you! That allowed me to update this account along with all the others using One-step Update.

One thing. Once the user has deactivated Online Services for the account, the user must go to Tools/ Add Account, select "Sams Club Personal Credit Account" as you describe, and connect it to the existing CC account in Quicken. It doesn't work to click on the account and reactivate online services from there.

Just what I had been searching for for so long. Terrific - thanks again!
This discussion has been closed.