Cloud Backup

Ken267
Ken267 Member ✭✭
How do I prevent Quicken from doing a CLOUD backup?
I keep my backups locally and I don't have any faith in their "CLOUD".

Also, when I add an account, I get a "SYNC TO CLOUD" pop up. I don't want ANY data on Quicken's cloud. HOW TO TURN OFF THE CLOUD PERMANENTLY ?"

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    What makes you believe that Q is backing up to the cloud.  Q keeps it's own info in the cloud ... but not your backup unless you specifically authorize such.
    BTW, I hope that "locally" doesn't mean on the same drive as your Q data file.  Because if that drive fails ... you've lost both.  A USB or CD drive is ideal.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Ken267
    Ken267 Member ✭✭
    Because when I tried to look at a backup, it indicated it was in the cloud
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    HOW did it indicate that it was in the cloud?  A graphic would be helpful
    And, when you create backups, what destination is shown?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Ken267
    Ken267 Member ✭✭
    > @NotACPA said:
    > What makes you believe that Q is backing up to the cloud.  Q keeps it's own info in the cloud ... but not your backup unless you specifically authorize such.BTW, I hope that "locally" doesn't mean on the same drive as your Q data file.  Because if that drive fails ... you've lost both.  A USB or CD drive is ideal.
  • Ken267
    Ken267 Member ✭✭
    I backup to a secondary hard drive on my computer as well as, once a week, I backup to a NAS drive.
    Thanks for warning.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Quicken cloud is not a backup. See: What is the Quicken Cloud?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Ken267
    Ken267 Member ✭✭
    I don't use Mobile. It's turned off in my preferences setting. I have also chosen to NOT setup downloads from my financial institutions. I recently added a couple more accounts to my portfolio, and when I did, Q popup said "Syncing wit the Cloud" What is it doing? I have not given permission to load my accounts to any Cloud.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    The first thing I would do is go to the Mobile & Web and make sure that no accounts have been selected.

But note even with the Mobile/Web Sync setting off somethings are always stored in the Quicken Cloud dataset.  How much is stored there depends on what features you are using.  For instance, Express Web Connect is definitely using it to sync transactions.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ken267 said:  I have also chosen to NOT setup downloads from my financial institutions.
    SO - you are manually entering ALL your transactions ?
    Unfortunately the word "cloud" gets tossed around a lot within the various features of Quicken.
    Basically - if you are downloading from your banks (which you are not)
    Quicken never loads your data to the cloud, merely your credentials - and a proxy service then logs into your bank for downloads.
    Another usage of the word "cloud" is for Quicken to keep track of your Quicken ID and QDF files associated with your ID.
    There are other areas that also get linked up with the rest of the Quicken world - and unfortunately they all use the word "cloud".

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ken267 said: How do I prevent Quicken from doing a CLOUD backup?
    No such thing - and as mentioned - it's just Quicken's poor choice of words... using the "cloud" in many different contexts -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Ken267
    Ken267 Member ✭✭
    Thanks to all of you. and yes, I enter all of my account transactions MANUALLY. I just feel more confident they are entered correctly that way. Been doing it that way for many years. The primary reason I use Q Premier over the other versions is for the stock analysis it provides.
    Up until a year or two ago, there was NO 'cloud' involved at all in the system.
    I'm paranoid about my data and any of my information being exposed outside my local computer. There's been too many hacks, including the 'cloud'.
This discussion has been closed.