When entering a security in "Misc Expense" - security gets blanked out upon entry

jca
jca Member ✭✭
I can put in a security name/ticker for a "sell", but when I put in the same information for "misc expense", it blanks out the security name when I click 'enter'
what gives?

Best Answer

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    @jca Do you actually hold a position in that security in that account?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The security you enter is saved in the transaction list when you enter the transaction, right? 

I take it this is what happens when you hit the Enter Transactions button and enter a MiscExp and then hit Enter/New and want to enter a series of expenses for the same security. I can see it would be annoying to have to re-enter the security name each time.

One thing you can do to work around this would be to copy the security name with a Ctrl-C before entering the first transaction. Then you can re-enter it with a Ctrl-V.

Or is this a different situation?
    QWin Premier subscription
  • jca
    jca Member ✭✭
    no, it is blank in the actual register. The transaction/type gets recorded, but the security name is blank
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    @jca Do you actually hold a position in that security in that account?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only thing similar to this that I see is on Sold transactions the security name is displayed regardless of whether the transaction is selected. On MiscExp and other cash transactions, the Security column is blank if the security is selected, because that spot is used for the Num data.

If you click on Edit, the security name is shown in the Edit dialog.

Is this your issue, or is the security name also blank when you edit the transaction?
    QWin Premier subscription
  • jca
    jca Member ✭✭
    edited April 2022
    Yes, that is what I see. HOWEVER, previously the security name always showed up in the field. so something changed. I will enter it into the security field, but gets blanked out on on the transaction, when I 'enter' it
This discussion has been closed.