Restore previous version via flash drive?

Suntu
Suntu Member ✭✭
What is the best practice to restore previous version using a flash drive?

Until recently I had no issues with using my flash drive to restore Quicken to my computers--laptop, desktop. Different Quicken representatives have now offered divergent opinions since the maximum datasets problem started a couple of weeks ago: flash drives can be used, flash drives cannot be directly used, flash drives may cause problems...
Tagged:

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    My primary backup device is a USB (flash) drive.  And I used this all the time when I was traveling for business and and computers with Quicken at both locations.  Backup at home & restore at worksite.  Reverse on coming home.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    We may store Quicken file backups on any media but we should only access our Quicken file in a folder on an internal drive.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not the backup media that causes maximum dataset exceeded error, it's too many restores.

Can this problem still be caused by too many restores?
    Yes, if the user attempts to restore a file and use that file with the Quicken Cloud.  There are two types of restore: one is if you're just looking at the file, in which case, a cloud dataset is not created.  The other is if you restore a file and intend to use it moving forward, in which case, your cloud dataset for the old file is removed, and the one for the new restored file is created.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @suntu, are you talking about restoring the Q program?  Or your Q data file?  The program can't be moved in the manner I previously described ... only the data.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Suntu
    Suntu Member ✭✭
    Thank you for your comments. I am using the restore on the Quicken program to restore the most current file saved from another computer. I always backup my files when they are updated.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're better of using Windows File Explorer to copy your Quicken data file from one computer to another.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
This discussion has been closed.