Deleting subscription renewal alerts within the program.

I elected not to renew my Quicken subscription. How do I delete/eliminate the alert bar at the top of the register and the alert to the left of the register (which cuts into the register view). Very annoying, should be a close block on these items. Your help and guidance is appreciated.

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Sorry, but the only way to remove that banner is to resubscribe.  Quicken has been requested many times to give people the ability to remove that banner but they have said they won't do that. 
    On a more positive note:  Unlike most other subscription programs where when the subscription expires the user can no longer use the program at all, Quicken does allow us to use the program manually for as long as our systems support it (except for Starter which becomes read only).

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Answer ✓
    Sorry, but the only way to remove that banner is to resubscribe.  Quicken has been requested many times to give people the ability to remove that banner but they have said they won't do that. 
    On a more positive note:  Unlike most other subscription programs where when the subscription expires the user can no longer use the program at all, Quicken does allow us to use the program manually for as long as our systems support it (except for Starter which becomes read only).

• Boatnmaniac
    edited April 2022
    I should have added:  If you can find a copy of Quicken 2017 (the last one before subscription started) you should be able to install that and run your current QDF data file with it.  That banner will not be on Quicken 2017.

• chsolt
    chsolt Member ✭✭
    Thank you for the response/comment. I subscribed as an update to my copy of 2017 Quicken H&B program. I still have my 2017 copy but it was not my desire to go backwards. That is very disingenuous to the user community for Quicken to take such a position. I have been with Quicken since 1982. If I find a program that meets my needs and considers the consumer's needs and desires I will move to it. Such an approach as Quickens is disappointing at the least, That is what is wrong with this industry. I.E. "Take it or leave it" and "here is my product, don't worry we will work the bugs and flaws out as time goes on". Frustrating!
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited April 2022
    I understand.  There are others who feel the same as you.  They feel they have been a loyal customer and Quicken is not showing their appreciation for that.  But you might want to put yourself in Quicken's shoes for a moment.  They are in business only because of customers who pay them for the service.  If that banner simply reminds people it is time to resubscribe or if it is annoying enough to get some people to resubscribe then the banner has served its purpose.  But those who don't resubscribe are showing that they aren't so loyal to Quicken after all so why should Quicken accommodate them?  I'm not trying to defend them on this, just trying to understand how I might feel about it if I were Quicken.

• chsolt
    chsolt Member ✭✭
    Your take on the process is interesting. I said I was with Quicken since 1982. It was not out of loyalty, it was because Quicken provided a product that suited my needs, met my expectations and supported my practices and procedures. I would say I showed loyalty by updating the the program periodically as the need presented itself. I migrated from "Manage your Money" because, again, Quicken met my needs and supported my purpose more than MYM did. I look at computer software as I do other purchases. I buy a auto, refrigerator, TV, etc periodically. For most I also purchase or receive a warranty. I do not purchase a new car, refrigerator, or TV each year. When the warranty expires I routinely don't renew. Of the four items Quicken lists as benefits of yearly updating I at most would use one; the "keeping software updated and secure". I purposely do not down load from financial institutions because it defeats my process and removes an important check and balance in my process. My process and procedure is to enter each receipt, "e" or hard copy individually shortly after point of sale. Upon receipt of a statement "e" or hard copy I reconcile the statement against the appropriate Quicken Account. Let me assure you it is a worthwhile process. In the last 18 months I have identified and had reversed 7 Financial Institution errors, 4 fraudulent charges and identified 1 compromised bank account, resulting in fraudulent charges. All told, approximately $2500. Most seemed to be below what perhaps a perpetrator felt wold be noticed or contested, Some I am sure were institution entry errors. You stated a fix was to go back to Quicken 2017. Am I to understand that Quicken 2017 and Quicken 2021 are equal. IE. "Buy my new program but it is really the same as your five year old program. I don't know where I will go from here but Quicken will certainly not get a Christmas card from me this year. I remain disappointed and frustrated with Quicken and categorically state that at this point Quicken does not meet this consumers expectations.
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The current version is newer and updated but your data file is backward compatible to 2017 version.  So you can open your data in 2017.  

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• chsolt
    chsolt Member ✭✭
    Are you saying that the file suffix is the same so I can open my existing data file if I uninstalled the 2021 version or reinstalled the 2017 version.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, Quicken Subscription is backwards compatible with Quicken 2017 and 2016 (something that Intuit never did).
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited April 2022
    chsolt said:
    Are you saying that the file suffix is the same so I can open my existing data file if I uninstalled the 2021 version or reinstalled the 2017 version.
    Yes, that is what @volvogirl and I have said (see my 2nd post in this thread).  Since you don't want the online services and since, I believe, you are within the 30-days post-purchase trial window I think you would be well served to reinstall your 2017 version and go get your subscription refunded.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @chsolt I find your 3 examples as bad choices for comparison, they are all hardgoods.  Do you not have a cellphone which requires a monthly payment plan or internet or cable TV plans which have monthly payments?
    Try using your TV in an area that does not have broadcast TV signals available, your TV isn't much good with out a signal unless you are using a DVD player for everything and they aren't free unless you go to the library and get some.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Boatnmaniac
    edited April 2022
    chsolt said:
    Your take on the process is interesting. I said I was with Quicken since 1982. It was not out of loyalty, it was because Quicken provided a product that suited my needs, met my expectations and supported my practices and procedures. I would say I showed loyalty by updating the the program periodically as the need presented itself. I migrated from "Manage your Money" because, again, Quicken met my needs and supported my purpose more than MYM did. I look at computer software as I do other purchases. I buy a auto, refrigerator, TV, etc periodically. For most I also purchase or receive a warranty. I do not purchase a new car, refrigerator, or TV each year. When the warranty expires I routinely don't renew. Of the four items Quicken lists as benefits of yearly updating I at most would use one; the "keeping software updated and secure". I purposely do not down load from financial institutions because it defeats my process and removes an important check and balance in my process. My process and procedure is to enter each receipt, "e" or hard copy individually shortly after point of sale. Upon receipt of a statement "e" or hard copy I reconcile the statement against the appropriate Quicken Account. Let me assure you it is a worthwhile process. In the last 18 months I have identified and had reversed 7 Financial Institution errors, 4 fraudulent charges and identified 1 compromised bank account, resulting in fraudulent charges. All told, approximately $2500. Most seemed to be below what perhaps a perpetrator felt wold be noticed or contested, Some I am sure were institution entry errors. You stated a fix was to go back to Quicken 2017. Am I to understand that Quicken 2017 and Quicken 2021 are equal. IE. "Buy my new program but it is really the same as your five year old program. I don't know where I will go from here but Quicken will certainly not get a Christmas card from me this year. I remain disappointed and frustrated with Quicken and categorically state that at this point Quicken does not meet this consumers expectations.
    Regarding that "loyalty" comment I'd made:  I was repeating what it seems to me most people who get upset about the banner and needing to renew subscription have told me.  I didn't mean to imply that you felt that way, as well.
    Everyone needs to decide for themself what and when to purchase.  But the difference between buying "a new car, refrigerator, or TV" and buying software is that the car, refrigerator and TV are things that we actually own whereas we do not own the software we buy.  With software we purchase a license to use the software while the software company retains ownership of it.  If you don't believe me, read the EULAs for the software you buy.  It's there...we do not own the software.  Maybe instead of comparing buying a new car to buying software a better comparison might be to compare leasing a car to buying the software. When the lease or license is up, the ability to continue using them is cut off...or, in the case of Quicken, greatly curtailed.
    The old user license was for 3 yrs while the new one is 1-2 yrs (usually 1 yr).  When the license is up, most software companies will prevent us from continuing to use the software.  However, Quicken does allow us to continue using it on a manual basis (with no online services at all, including no software updates) but only with that banner being present. 
    I'm glad to hear that your methodology for using Quicken works well for you.  It is very old school but it works well and you are not alone in using Quicken in this manner.  I prefer to download transactions and I do that 1-2 times a day.  As the transactions get downloaded I compare them to the receipts I have for them.  It's been years since I've gotten an inaccurate transaction downloaded so I have pretty high confidence in it.  I also reconcile to the online balance every time transactions get downloaded.  By this process I get visibility to any potential issues (including fraud) within 1-3 days and reconciliation occurs about as real time as can be.  There is no need to wait for up to a month for that paper statement to become available...after all, a lot of bad things over the course of a month.  In fact, this download/reconciliation process has become so reliable I don't even bother getting statements routinely anymore....it just too time consuming for my likes and usually adds nothing of value for me.  But to each his/her own.
    BTW, the best way to get a heads up on potential fraud and inaccurate transactions is not via Quicken.  It is to set up the online financial accounts to text or email alerts.  For instance, I have set up my bank and credit card accounts to text me whenever there is a transaction made where I was not present, for every online purchase, for every gas station purchase and for every airline ticket purchased.  And for my investment accounts I get an alert every time there is money moved out of or scheduled to be moved out of my accounts.  It's allowed me to notify the financial institution of fraud within minutes, not days or even weeks later.  And that can be preventative because it can stop additional fraud from occurring beyond that 1st transaction.

• Boatnmaniac
    @chsolt - LOL!  Sorry, I see that several of we superusers have jumped in on this discussion.  Please don't think we are ganging up on you.  We are all just very interested in the discussions that take place in this forum and like to throw in our own two cents and perspectives, especially when there is something to debate!  :)

• chsolt
    chsolt Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the explanation on how you (Bootnmaniac) use Quicken. I like the idea of downloading daily or frequently. I never thought of monitoring and reconciling that way. You are swaying me to reconsider a subscription and trying a monitoring and reconciliation as you describe. My issue I fear, because I am routinely "data rich and analysis poor", is that I would create work by going into each download entry to add the additional data I like to capture when I enter a transaction manually. Still some very good ideas. Thanks. Just thought; how is categories and tags handled in your process. Do you add them as you review the download?
    New Question. We can start a new thread on this one, but how do you handle a new year. Do you create a new year each year of have one large file? I haven't used the new year process since 1999. So my one file has all transactions since January 1, 1999. My earlier years are archived on separate discs.
  • chsolt
    chsolt Member ✭✭
    I should have added. I purposely do not start a new year because I like the ability to go back to find transactions. Usually the need arises for a durable good. However, I don't need routinely to go back as far as 1999. I was considering starting a new year and just capture say the previous ten years. That would allow me to go back as far as I believe I would need while giving me a file size that would not hinder or slow down the program.
This discussion has been closed.