Xcel Energy Problem

Windows 10 and Quicken Premier 39.23

I'm having an issue with this biller. It appears that they've recently made a change to their system and are now requiring Quicken to accommodate 2 factor authentication.

I was having an issue with getting my bill updated and the biller requiring me to enter the 6 digit security code that they had sent me. When contacting Quicken support (chat), they suggested that I delete/re-add the bill), so...

I deleted the biller and when trying to re-link to my reminder, I get an email from the biller with another 6 digit authentication code. Quicken does not allow me to enter this code...but finishes the set up and indicates that there are no bills. I did receive a bill on the 12th (today is the 15th). I've had this biller for almost 6 years so I should have months of PDF bills to review and Quicken does bring back any of these pdf's.

When I click "Refresh Bill", I get another email from the biller with the 6 digit code and again Quicken does not allow me a place to enter this code.

On this same computer, I'm able to bring up the biller website and see the current bill and historical bills. The 2 factor authentication is not an issue as it had previously been resolved (a week or so ago), so this device has been authenticated.

Why won't Quicken and this same biller "play nice" on this same device?
Tagged:

Answers

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Hello @John Dahlgren,

Thank you for contacting the Quicken Community, though I do apologize that you are experiencing this issue with your Xcel Energy Biller. 

I took the liberty of pulling up your account and have performed an internal refresh. I recommend waiting until Monday before you attempt to refresh on your end again.

Please let us know how it goes on Monday. 

Thank you!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• John Dahlgren
    John Dahlgren Member ✭✭✭
    I tried to do the bill refresh on my Xcel Energy account just now and Quicken came back with the message "Biller Added. Waiting for Latest Update."...which I had received email notification on 4/12 from the biller that my bill is ready.

The message that I receive from the Biller indicates that the "device is unrecognized". My laptop can log in to this website (same laptop that hosts Quicken) without having to authenticate. So, my assumption is that this is a hand-shake issue with Quicken/Xcel Energy that needs to be resolved.

Please advise.
  • Quicken Jasmine
    edited April 2022
    Hello @John Dahlgren,

Thank you for your response. 

I suggest signing in to your Xcel Energy account on their website and then going to Settings and confirming that you have 3rd-party access enabled (it might say something slightly different, however, it should be along the same lines).

Please let me know how it goes after confirming that this is enabled!

-Quicken Jasmine

• John Dahlgren
    John Dahlgren Member ✭✭✭
    @Jasmine
    This must be a new feature with the Xcel app refresh as there is a new “two-factor authentication” setting that by default had to have been turned on. There is no setting that I found to allow 3rd party apps access. I suppose that I “could” turn it off to allow Quicken access, but that would defeat the purpose, wouldn’t it. 😃
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Hello @John Dahlgren,

Thank you for your response and thanks for checking that out!

At this point, I would recommend reaching out to Xcel Energy to confirm that there is nothing more on your end that you are needing to do when adding them into Quicken. You may want to request to speak to a Tier 2 representative or a Supervisor as they may be more familiar with a third-party application such as Quicken. 

Please let me know how this goes so I may assist further if needed!

-Quicken Jasmine

• John Dahlgren
    John Dahlgren Member ✭✭✭
    @Jasmine - I reached out to Xcel Energy to discuss 3rd party 2FA.

It took me 3 calls to finally talk to someone who would submit a ticket as that was the best option that I had as the first 2 times a manager was supposed to call me back and they never did.

At this point Quicken will need to take the lead on working with this biller as this impacts a single bill for me and I can always handle it manually.

Kind regards.
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Hello @John Dahlgren,

Thank you for keeping us updated.

Please do not hesitate to reach out with any further questions or concerns!

-Quicken Jasmine

This discussion has been closed.