One Step Update

Jel2
Jel2 Member
I am having issues with One Step Update (OSU) freezing over the last several months where I have to force shutdown Quicken. I have successfully used this process for years and have made no changes to my operating system or drive structure. Some of my accounts successfully complete, and others stick on Processing data. When this problem started, I was able to update every account one at a time, but not when using OSU. Now while OSU is still not working when updating the accounts individually some show as Update complete but does not show any accounts or transactions. I have Validated and Super Validated, reinstalled Quicken, and checked for .Net. I never used mobile or web, and have confirmed that it is off. I am frustrated after calling Quicken Support several times and get no assistance there. Does anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    Jel2 said:
    I am having issues with One Step Update (OSU) freezing over the last several months where I have to force shutdown Quicken. I have successfully used this process for years and have made no changes to my operating system or drive structure. Some of my accounts successfully complete, and others stick on Processing data. When this problem started, I was able to update every account one at a time, but not when using OSU. Now while OSU is still not working when updating the accounts individually some show as Update complete but does not show any accounts or transactions. I have Validated and Super Validated, reinstalled Quicken, and checked for .Net. I never used mobile or web, and have confirmed that it is off. I am frustrated after calling Quicken Support several times and get no assistance there. Does anyone have any ideas?
    Hello @Jel2

I am sorry to hear about this issue with One Step Updates and crashes and freezes. Thank you for reaching out and seeking assistance here on the Quicken Community.

Where is your current active data file located? You can view this anytime by going to File > Show this file on my computer... in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Also, have you tried uninstalling Quicken and reinstalling the program using the 'QCleanUI' method described in the Support Article linked here

I hope to hear from you soon, and I look forward to working with you on this issue in the future, if necessary. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Jel2
    Jel2 Member
    Jared thanks for your reply. As I mentioned, I did reinstall Quicken, but did not use QCleanUI. When I went to the link you supplied it says that "QCleanUI should not be used to attempt to fix data issues (QCleanUI does not impact Quicken data files), bank download issues, or password problems (Quicken ID Password, Vault Password etc.). It will also not resolve online banking issues (such as not being able to download transactions)". Given this is the issue that I am having, is this something that you still want me to try?
  • Quicken Jared
    Jel2 said:
    Jared thanks for your reply. As I mentioned, I did reinstall Quicken, but did not use QCleanUI. When I went to the link you supplied it says that "QCleanUI should not be used to attempt to fix data issues (QCleanUI does not impact Quicken data files), bank download issues, or password problems (Quicken ID Password, Vault Password etc.). It will also not resolve online banking issues (such as not being able to download transactions)". Given this is the issue that I am having, is this something that you still want me to try?
    Hello @Jel2

Thank you for following up with me and continuing to discuss this issue. I do apologize that the problem is persisting.

To be clear, the QCleanUI uninstallation process is different from the standard uninstall/reinstall method that is often used in these circumstances. This will not affect your data files or backups, and will help us determine whether an error in the configuration files is connected to the symptoms you have described. The configuration files cannot be tested in this way without making use of this troubleshooting step. Additionally, we cannot yet confirm that connectivity is causally related to the situation at hand, particularly not until we have ruled out the configuration files. 

I hope that is helpful and provides further illumination about this troubleshooting recommendation. Feel free to reach out with any additional comments or concerns.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Jel2
    Jel2 Member
    Thank you for your quick reply. When I went to execute your instructions I found that the above link for QCleanUI' is no longer valid. Please advise? Thanks
  • Quicken Jared
    Jel2 said:
    Thank you for your quick reply. When I went to execute your instructions I found that the above link for QCleanUI' is no longer valid. Please advise? Thanks
    Hello @Jel2

I am happy you got back to me, and thank you for letting me know about this issue with the link I provided. I do apologize for any confusion and for the extended difficulties in working on this problem with One Step Updates.

It looks as though the Support Article I had provided was archived within the last 24 hours. I am waiting to receive further details as to why this has taken place, but I will continue working with you on this issue nonetheless. In this case, we will have to proceed with other options in place of the QCleanUI uninstallation method mentioned earlier.

Another path of action would be copy the data file itself. Please note that doing so will disconnect all online services in the copied file and you will need to sign back in with your Quicken ID and reconnect up all of your online accounts, online billers, Quicken Bill Manager services, etc if you plan to use that copied file going forward as the new copy also creates a new and separate dataset ID.

If you still wish to go forward with this procedure, follow the steps listed below, in order:

1. Save a backup by going to File > Copy or Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen.
    2. Go back into Copy or Backup File... 
    3. Select Create a copy or template
    4. Click Next
    5. Select a file location then click Save Copy
    6. Select New Copy
    7. Click OK
    You may then validate and supervalidate the copy of the data file just produced.

I look forward to hearing more from you once these steps have been attempted. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Jel2
    Jel2 Member
    Thank you for the response. If I do as you are now recommending and reconnect all accounts, won't this redownload all available transactions? If I am correct, given the number of accounts that I have and volume of transactions that I do will create a significant amount of work and a reconciliation nightmare. Is there a way to avoid this?
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @Jel2,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this. 

The process suggested in @Quicken Jared's last response should not cause any duplicate downloads of any transactions that have already been downloaded and added to your register so far. Should anything go wrong in the copied file, you will still have the option to return to your current data file.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Jel2
    Jel2 Member
    Thanks for the reply. I tried what you suggested. I am able to successfully backup the database, but I cannot successfully complete the Create a copy or template step. I have tried multiple times and each time about 20% through the operation it freezes and says that it is not responding, at which point I have to force shutdown the program. I have left it at this stage for long periods of time to see if it worked itself through, but without success. What should I do now?
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Thanks for following up and providing an update though I apologize that you continue to experience difficulties.

At this point, I recommend reaching out to Quicken Support directly instead for more extensive troubleshooting and possible escalation if they see fit.

We apologize for any inconvenience! Thank you.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

This discussion has been closed.