Any Quicken users with - Linux/Wine ?

isonclubikin
isonclubikin Member ✭✭✭✭
 Well, I'll try this again since the forum didn't like it with the formatting.

On the off chance that a Quicken user has gotten Quicken running in Linux and can provide a solution, I'll ask this here:

In a nutshell, after fighting with this all day, I've managed to actually install Quicken in Wine.  But, when I start it, it almost immediately errors out.  Basically, Quicken starts, I get two error popups saying "Failed to resolve function RaiseFailFastException in KERNEL32.dll" followed by the program starting to do something (it's too fast to see), then two more of those same error dialogs.  Then the program crashes.

I've tried this with the WINE distribution from Fedora's RPM (v7.5).  Then I uninstalled that and used Wine's winehq_devel version (v7.6):

[code]sudo dnf -y install dnf-plugins-core

I've got a fresh install of Winetricks:

[code]cd "${HOME}/Downloads"
chmod +x winetricks
sudo cp winetricks /usr/local/bin[/code]

which I've confirmed is up-to-date with:

[code]sudo winetricks --self-update[/code]

I've installed Quicken with winecfg set to the default Windows 7 and with the Windows 10 version (which, I think is what Quicken requires as a minimum).

The installation method I followed is what's in WineHQ's AppDB for Quicken 2020 Premier (which seems to be the latest entry).  Essentially:

[quote]Create a new 32-bit wine prefix for the Quicken installation and install MS .Net Framework 4.6.1 using winetricks:

[code]$ WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.quicken-wine winetricks -q --force dotnet461[/code]

Change the Direct Draw Renderer to GDI using winetricks:

[code]$ WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.quicken-wine winetricks settings ddr=gdi[/code]

Patch the Quicken installer to prevent it from attempting to install the PDF print driver:

[code]$ cd /path/to/installer/file
$ 7za x Quicken.exe
$ perl -pi.bak -0777e 's/NOT REMOVE="ALL"InstallPDFDriver/NOT_REMOVE="ALL"InstallPDFDriver/' "DISK1/Quicken.msi"
[/code]

(BTW:  if I don't patch out that PDF print driver, the install fails with an error code (which I don't remember, but think it was 1625)

Run the Setup.exe installer application:

[code]$ WINEPREFIX=~/.quicken-wine wine DISK1/Setup.exe[/quote][/code]

At the end of that process, I both 1) let the program start immediately from the prompt, and 2) not let it run and then started it manually from the GUI.  I've also 1) let it run immediately, and 2) not let it run, installed the Mondo Patch:

[code]WINEPREFIX=~/.quicken-wine wine QW27.1.40.13MPatch.EXE[/code]

and then started it (both immediately from the end of the patch process and from the GUI afterward).

I saw where I'm supposed to run:

[code]wine [program name] &> /tmp/log.txt 2>&1 [/code]

for additional information.  But, I don't know what to put in for the program name.

It's not much, but some of the information from the crash reports it generates follows:

[code]BugReport>
<BsSndRptVersion>3.13</BsSndRptVersion>
<AppInfo>
<Vendor>quicken_2019</Vendor>
<AppName>27.0</AppName>
<Version>R40.13-27.1.40.13</Version>
<CrashType>Windows.Native</CrashType>
<FullDump>false</FullDump>
<Description>
<![CDATA[ 20220418155601332 ]]>
</Description>
</AppInfo>
<ReportOccurence>
<User>
<Name>
<![CDATA[ ]]>
</Name>
<Email>
<![CDATA[ ]]>
</Email>
<IPAddress>
<![CDATA[ 192.168.1.238 ]]>
</IPAddress>
</User>
<DateTime>2022-04-18 15:57:22</DateTime>
<Description>
<![CDATA[ ]]>
</Description>
<MFA>kernelbase!00011886</MFA>
<SessionUpTime>70</SessionUpTime>
<TotalUpTime>169</TotalUpTime>
<LaunchCount>4</LaunchCount>
<TotalCrashCount>4</TotalCrashCount>
</ReportOccurence>
</BugReport>[/code]

[code]################### Monday, April 18, 2022, 15:56:42 #####################
ERROR:Child process exited unexpectedly.

################### Monday, April 18, 2022, 15:56:44 #####################
ERROR:ClientConfigResponse::GetClientConfig - ArgumentException Exception message - An item with the same key has already been added.[/code]

And, here's some information on Quicken and the OS:

Quicken downloaded from Quicken site (from what the patch, below, says, this is R1)
Quicken Mondo Patch QW27.1.40.13MPatch also downloaded from Quicken site

Operating System: Fedora Linux 35
KDE Plasma Version: 5.24.4
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.91.0
Qt Version: 5.15.2
Kernel Version: 5.16.20-200.fc35.x86_64 (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: Wayland
Processors: 12 × AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core Processor
Memory: 15.6 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT

Comments

• isonclubikin
    isonclubikin Member ✭✭✭✭
    I know it's the wrong population, but are there ANY linux users here?  Have you gotten Quicken to run at all under Wine?  I don't know what to do.  Quicken is the ONLY program I've got that I can't get running in Linux and I absolutely need it.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I doubt you'll find any Linux/Wine users here. Maybe try the Usenet group

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You might consider CrossOver. They have a free trial.

Run Microsoft Windows software on Mac, Linux and Chrome OS | CodeWeavers
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    some others in various places -

[EDIT] - also updated topic title to better reflect Q&A

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• isonclubikin
    isonclubikin Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the suggestions.  I used Crossover before in my other previous attempts to migrate to Linux.  It worked then, but it was with Linux Mint.  This time, I'm trying Fedora (gnome).  I doubt if there'd be a problem with it, but I thought I'd try plain old Wine first.  I've also posted this question over on the Wine HQ forums, but there's been no response.

I guess the problem is that:

1) Quicken doesn't work on Linux, so asking Linux users about Quicken issues doesn't give much of a potential base for answers, and
    2) Quicken doesn't work on Linux, so asking Quicken users about Linux issues also doesn't give much of a potential base for answers.

I guess I'll try asking on the Crossover forums.

I sure wish whoever owns Quicken this month would put some effort into at least letting it run under Wine.  I don't expect a full-fledged Linux version, but compatible behavior would be nice.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I doubt that Q will produce a Wine version.  There's more than enough to do with QWin & QMac.
    AND, those OS's have a much larger (i.e., more profitable)  user base.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

This discussion has been closed.