How to stop B of A from requiring SMS code with each update?

Ronin
Ronin Member ✭✭
Every time I run One-Step Update on my accounts, either Quicken or B of A requires that I have a security code sent to me before it will pull down any transactions. This started happening a month or so ago. I'm using the B of A - Quicken connector currently and have also tried the B of A - All Other States connector - same results.

Logging into my actual B of A account reveals no indication of a way to adjust this. In fact in their section that would display third party apps that I've allowed to connect, nothing appears like I've seen in similar areas on other FI sites.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Answers

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Hello @Ronin

Thank you for contacting the Quicken Community, though I do apologize that you are experiencing this issue with a repeating 2FA when attempting to update your Bank of America account(s).

First, I suggest deactivating all of the BofA accounts (this includes hidden and closed accounts), then reactivating via Tools > Add Account , and then Link to Existing. Please keep in mind that it is recommended to save a backup before proceeding with troubleshooting steps in the event that you would like to return to your original starting position. 

Please let me know how this goes!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Ronin
    Ronin Member ✭✭
    Hello,

Thank you for your speedy reply and suggestions. I just tried your steps during the setup process it asked for 2FA, which made sense, then after selecting the accounts and before it pulled any transactions down, it prompted for another 2FA event, which surprised me, but went along with it. All seemed OK. Then I tried a couple rounds of updates and it no longer prompted for 2FA - yay!

Of the two B of A connectors (B of All - All Other States and B of A - Quicken), I selected the former this time around. Why are there more than one and why would a Quicken user want to select one over the other?

Thanks.
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Hello @Ronin,

I am happy to hear that you are no longer being presented with the repeated 2FA when updating your accounts!

As for your question regarding the different Financial Institution instances- originally All Other States only offered Direct Connect and the one labeled Quicken only offered Express Web Connect. Now, All Other States offers both Express Web Connect and Direct Connect, but the one labeled Quicken still only offers Express Web Connect. It was just never removed from the Financial Institution list after All Other States added Express Web Connect support. Both of these options still work though. 

I hope that cleared some things up for you!

Please do not hesitate to reach out with any further questions or concerns!

-Quicken Jasmine

• Ronin
    Ronin Member ✭✭
    Thank you kindly!
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Good Morning @Ronin

You are very welcome. 

I hope you are having a great weekend!

-Quicken Jasmine

This discussion has been closed.