Is it possible to reset the QuickFill list in QWin?

BK
BK Member ✭✭✭✭
Is there a way to reset the QuickFill list to make it blank or cleanup some bogus entries?  For example, when I type CVS it shows me multiple entries, one of which has a tax category which I want to get rid of - and so on.  I did try Ctrl+Shift on Tools > MPL but that didn't help the QuickFill list.  I doubt that it lives in some .dat file that I can edit.  Any suggestion or creative tips are appreciated.
Edit/Add: If I delete my MPL which has about 50 entries and then reset it, will that clean up the QuickFill and make it blank?
- QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
- I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

Best Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    The answer is no you can't clean it up.  This is really something that should be provided.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022 Answer ✓
    As an FYI to @Chris_QPW , @Rocket J Squirrel and everyone,
    I figured out a workaround on how to cleanup the QuickFill list:
    • Backup first and also take screenshots of your desired Memorized Payee List (MPL).  To my knowledge there is no way to export it into a file? hence the need to take screenshots.
    • Backup first.  Also print your desired Memorized Payee List (MPL) for reference.
    • I did a Ctrl+Shift on Tools > MPL (which I learned yesterday from @Sherlock ).  This action reset my MPL and added many extra entries into the MPL.  These extra entries also included the bogus items I had in the QuickFill - that I wanted to get rid of.  In short, the MPL and QuickFill synced up (Note the comment below about Online Payees)
    • Now you clean up your MPL by selectively deleting unwanted items, which cleans up the corresponding QuickFill entries as well (Note the comment below about Online Payees).
    • Alternatively you can delete the entire MPL and manually recreate it
    As always my thanks to the experts in this community.  Hope this can help someone in the future.

Edited to add the items in italics for clarification.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Glad that worked for you, but there is a stumbling block if you have Online Payees.
    The QuickFill list includes Online Payees as well as Memorized Payees. It's easy to delete all the MPs at once but the OPs must be deleted one at a time and can't be deleted at all if they are used in any Reminders.
    The good news is that the MPL can be printed or exported using the tiny printer icon at the bottom left of the MPL window. The output format leaves a lot to be desired, though.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

Answers

• Rocket J Squirrel
    The QuickFill list can be accessed from the "Group" pulldown menu of the Address Book.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    The QuickFill list can be accessed from the "Group" pulldown menu of the Address Book.
    My entire Address Book is completely blank.  No entries whatsoever because I don't use it.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    The answer is no you can't clean it up.  This is really something that should be provided.
    Signature:
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022 Answer ✓
    As an FYI to @Chris_QPW , @Rocket J Squirrel and everyone,
    I figured out a workaround on how to cleanup the QuickFill list:
    • Backup first and also take screenshots of your desired Memorized Payee List (MPL).  To my knowledge there is no way to export it into a file? hence the need to take screenshots.
    • Backup first.  Also print your desired Memorized Payee List (MPL) for reference.
    • I did a Ctrl+Shift on Tools > MPL (which I learned yesterday from @Sherlock ).  This action reset my MPL and added many extra entries into the MPL.  These extra entries also included the bogus items I had in the QuickFill - that I wanted to get rid of.  In short, the MPL and QuickFill synced up (Note the comment below about Online Payees)
    • Now you clean up your MPL by selectively deleting unwanted items, which cleans up the corresponding QuickFill entries as well (Note the comment below about Online Payees).
    • Alternatively you can delete the entire MPL and manually recreate it
    As always my thanks to the experts in this community.  Hope this can help someone in the future.

Edited to add the items in italics for clarification.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Answer ✓
    Glad that worked for you, but there is a stumbling block if you have Online Payees.
    The QuickFill list includes Online Payees as well as Memorized Payees. It's easy to delete all the MPs at once but the OPs must be deleted one at a time and can't be deleted at all if they are used in any Reminders.
    The good news is that the MPL can be printed or exported using the tiny printer icon at the bottom left of the MPL window. The output format leaves a lot to be desired, though.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    You can save your memorized payees by exporting it in the QIF export.

But here is an interesting thing, it has both the ones that show up on the Memorized Payee List window and the ones that don't.
    Here is the export, and the list before doing the Ctl+Shift sequence to since them up.

And the list after the sync.

Signature:
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you @Rocket J Squirrel.  I didn't think about the Online Payees since I don't use it.  And how did I not notice the little printer icon all these years - Thanks!

@Chris_QPW , ah yes that export which I never opened the file to look at the interesting detail you pointed out.  Also I now see what I wrote about the "export" was unclear - that I was looking for an easy to read file like the print view mentioned above.

I am going to edit my prior post for additional clarification.

• [Deleted User]
    edited April 2022
    @BK
     - I clear out my memorized payees and renaming rules all the time because I do not use them.  My experience has been, over time, the Memorized Payee list and the Renaming Rules, become filled with "Junk" that hinders transaction entry.  They would quick fill in payees and categories that were not correct, or not what I wanted. 

To delete memorized payees, just go to Tools -> Memorized Payee List, and delete the items you want.  You can either delete them individually or in groups, by highlighting and, either right clicking and choose "delete" or use the "Delete" button on the right bottom corner of the window.  You may need to maximize the window to be able to see the Delete button.

To delete the renaming rules that are causing issues, click on the "Renaming Rules" button in the bottom left corner of the Memorized Payee List.  In the list, you can edit or delete any of the renaming rules.

To prevent them from being created, just go into Edit -> Preferences -> Downloaded Transactions, and then clear the checkboxes under "During Transaction Download" and "Your Renaming Rules".

I hope this helps.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Damian this is bit different.

Quicken maintains two list that are quite hard to tell apart.  The Memorized Payee List and a "Quickfill list" that not really accessible for the user to directly change.

One would believe that there is in fact only the Memorized Payee List, but experience shows there is another "Quickfill list".  As my example above shows, "Test Transfer" wasn't in my Memorized Payee List, but when I would type in Test in a payee field it would come up with "Test Transfer".

Why Quicken maintains this second hidden list, I don't know, but it is there and isn't always one for one with the Memorized Payee List.  Given that you can use the Ctrl+Shift Tool-> Memorized Payee List to "sync them", and then delete a given entry from both lists implies to me that they are trying to maintain these two lists in sync, but at times they get out of sync.
    Signature:
  • @Chris_QPW, I think the other hidden list is the "Rename Payee List" which can be accessed through the Memorized Payee List.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Damian said:
    @Chris_QPW, I think the other hidden list is the "Rename Payee List" which can be accessed through the Memorized Payee List.
    No that is yet again, another list.  The Rename Payee List is only for what renaming the payee.  Having an entry on that list will not show up when you type in a payee name in the payee field.  The only time it is used is when you download transactions, it renames that payee if it matches one in the list.
    Signature:
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Damian , I only wanted to get rid of some "junk" appearing in the QuickFill (that were absent from the MPL), they were very strange and I don't how they got there.  And I accomplished it by the steps I outlined.  And once I got it right on my test file, it was fairly easy and quick on the main file.  All good now.  Thank you.

• [Deleted User]
    edited April 2022
    @Chris_QPW I see that you describe a different issue, but, there is still a very easy solution.  If you go into Edit -> Preferences -> Data Entry and Quickfill, you can also control options for Memorized Payees, and Quickfill.  I used to have the issues you and the OP describe, but after unchecking these options in this section and the Downloaded Transactions section I described in my earlier post, Quicken no longer tries to fill in, or change the payees I type in.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Damian but you miss the point that @BK does want that feature, he just doesn't want it filling in entries that aren't in his Memorized Payee List.
    Signature:
  • @Chris_QPW, @BK - sorry for my confusion.  Glad everything is good now.
This discussion has been closed.