Updating Investment Accounts to Reflect Online Balances

RayRay
RayRay Member ✭✭
edited May 2022 in Investing (Windows)
Over many years, my investment accounts have gotten out of balance (e.g. showing I still have balances in funds that have been sold).

Recently, I thought I saw that if I upgraded to Q Home & Business that I could update my investment accounts to reflect the online investments and balances. But in looking today, I can't find that reference again.

Can I accomplish that with Q H&B?

Also, I think I read that if I upgrade now (with a year remaining on my current Deluxe subscription), that my Deluxe subscription will be prorated to match the Q H&B subscription series. Am I correct?

Thank you for any information.
Ray

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    H&B is no different from Deluxe for tracking investment accounts.

Are you downloading transactions for these accounts or entering them manually?

Do you want to track all the details of your investing accounts, so you can take advantage of Quicken's performance and cost basis tracking, or are you just interested in tracking the holdings and account balances?
    QWin Premier subscription
  • RayRay
    RayRay Member ✭✭
    Thank you, Jim. I am downloading transactions. Also have done placeholders at times when the balances differ. Interested in tracking share balance, price and total balance. But key desire is that I thought H&B was able to modify my holdings to match the online account at my investment firm since current funds, share balance and amounts are incorrect.
    Ray
  • RayRay
    RayRay Member ✭✭
    Maybe I found it. Using the gear icon in my account, selecting reconcile shares shows all the mismatches. I can create a placeholder to fix. Did all this, but some accounts still show shares and balances for funds I have sold.
  • RayRay
    RayRay Member ✭✭
    OK, so made the fix. I went in and adjusted the share and cash balances from the gear options. Account now balances. Thanks
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, that will work if you don't mind the Placeholders. 

Placeholders compensate for missing or incorrect investing transactions by forcing Quicken’s share balance for a security to match a specified value. This is usually the share count downloaded from your financial institution (FI).

Because transactions are missing or incorrect, Quicken will not be able to compute the cost basis or performance for the affected securities. 

Placeholders also prevent new transactions like Bought and Sold prior to the Placeholder date from affecting the account’s cash balance. This shows up as N/A in the Cash Amt column of the transaction list.  

You can go back and resolve the Placeholders later on if you want. For information on resolving placeholders, please see this FAQ:

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7267839/quicken-faq-managing-placeholder-entries-in-quicken-for-windows

QWin Premier subscription
This discussion has been closed.