Quicken Crashes...Always when entering a receipt to a transaction

Quicken ALWAYS crashes (A) while trying to add a scanned receipt to a transaction and then trying to save the transaction or (B). after adding a scanned receipt to a transaction, saving it and then closing Quicken. In the latter case I can continue to work in Quicken after entering the receipt but after I close Quicken, I get the BugSplat. ALWAYS. This is reproducible and has been happening for at least six weeks. I've run file repair...no errors found. Usually the type of receipt I'm adding is a pdf file.

Version is R31.5
Build is 27.1.31.5

Very tired of this.

Answers

• fitz6544
    fitz6544 Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the quick reply. I followed all the steps in the link you supplied and no joy. The brand new account caused the same crash.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    fitz6544 said:
    Thanks for the quick reply. I followed all the steps in the link you supplied and no joy. The brand new account caused the same crash.
    If the issue reproduced in the test file, I suggest you perform a clean uninstall, install and update.  If you haven’t already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken 
  • fitz6544
    fitz6544 Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks again. This sounds a bit involved so I will wait a few days until I feel more like tackling this and give a it a try. Thanks for the link.
  • fitz6544
    fitz6544 Member ✭✭✭
    Well...followed all the steps, renamed files, uninstalled, reinstalled, downloaded manual cleaning files and no joy. Same error when attaching files to transactions.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    fitz6544 said:
    Well...followed all the steps, renamed files, uninstalled, reinstalled, downloaded manual cleaning files and no joy. Same error when attaching files to transactions.
    I suggest that you contact Quicken’s Support at: https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

• fitz6544
    fitz6544 Member ✭✭✭
    Just an update...contacted Q support Jan. 31 and followed their suggestions and instructions but the problems persists. I was assigned a case number and was told the issue had been elevated to the program people to work on. I've heard nothing since then. We'll see.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @fitz6544

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report your issue, although I apologize that you have not received a response.

First, please navigate to Help > About Quicken and provide the release that you are currently running.

To help me further investigate this issue, may I ask that you please create a test file. Please go to File > New Quicken File...

Once in the test file, please add an account and attempt to attach a receipt, and let me know if you still experience a crash. This can help confirm that issue is isolated to the application.

Please let me know how it goes!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • fitz6544
    fitz6544 Member ✭✭✭
    Version R31.12
    Build 27.1.31.12

I created the new test file file while chatting with tech support and when I tried attaching the receipt, it did crash the program. I have a case number assigned by support but haven't heard anything back yet. Crashing does not seem to happen when I attach an image format like, jpg or png.

Thanks for your reply.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just out of curiosity ... how many total attachments do you have in your file?
    Is it possible that you're reaching / exceeding a maximum number of attachments limit (not that I can find anything documented to that effect ...)
  • fitz6544
    fitz6544 Member ✭✭✭
    I have no idea how many I have...other than a ton of them. I attach documents for all important purchases based on dollar amount paid, warranties, receipts, etc. and have been since around 2009.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    fitz6544 said:
    I have no idea how many I have...other than a ton of them. I attach documents for all important purchases based on dollar amount paid, warranties, receipts, etc. and have been since around 2009.

I don't have any file attachments in my QDF file, but I know that you can view the internal file structure with a program called 7-zip. QDF files are zip-files under the covers. This should show you a folder structure with your attachments next to the standard set of QDF, IDX, QEL, QPH and QTX files making up your Quicken data file.
    Be careful. Work with a file copy to not accidentally change / mess up your production QDF.
    I'd also be interested in seeing the File Information window. You get this by clicking Help in Quicken, then press and hold Shift while you click "About Quicken". Attach the resulting popup window to your next response.
    Finally, as part of working with Quicken Support, have you performed the file repair steps in Part (2) of Troubleshooting 101 - Fixing Software Installation and Data File Problems exactly as described? You had crashes. Your data file structure may have been damaged.
  • fitz6544
    fitz6544 Member ✭✭✭
    Yes, I've performed all the steps listed in the linked articles, file validation, uninstall, restart, reinstall to different location and all the things Q support had me do. I'll try 7-zip idea...probably not today, and post the results. In the meantime here's the File Info attached.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you get a chance ... what is the total QDF file size, as indicated by Windows File Explorer?
    The file information window says that the QDF database portion is about 105MB. The difference between that and total file size should be size of the attachments plus size of the other database ancillary files.
  • fitz6544
    fitz6544 Member ✭✭✭
    Hope this helps...
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the file size. 700+ MB. That means, you have somewhere around 600 MB of attachments. 7-zip might be able to tell how many attachments you have.
    But we still won't know, if there's a structural issue with the zip file or if you have reached a limit on the number of attachments. Only someone from Quicken may be able to tell you. This is beyond my pay grade ...
    BTW, have you been able to send a bug splat report when Quicken crashes? This might help determine the problem.
  • fitz6544
    fitz6544 Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the help! Yes on the Bug Splat reports...sent probably about 100.
  • fitz6544
    fitz6544 Member ✭✭✭
    Here's the 7-Zip info...pic attached.
    Q.png 173.1K
  • fitz6544
    fitz6544 Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    [Removed Image for Privacy]
  • Joel Blackman
    Joel Blackman Member ✭✭
    It turns out I have the exact same problem. Does anyone know of a work around or resolution?
  • fitz6544
    fitz6544 Member ✭✭✭
    > @Joel Blackman said:
    > It turns out I have the exact same problem. Does anyone know of a work around or resolution?

Joel, it turns out that the update, before the last update, completely fixed my problem. I never did get any help from Q after filing a support ticket and the only work around I ever found was to convert files to jpg. Since the update, I've also noticed that the little animated "cloud" icon now appears when saving a pdf file where it didn't before. Make sure your program is updated. I have Q Deluxe. Good luck.
  • Joel Blackman
    Joel Blackman Member ✭✭
    I have Quicken Premier R39.23 Build: 27.1.39.23 which I believe is the latest. My problem is only with pdf file types. My work around is to attach non-pdf file types.