Why do I need a 390mb download to get a version upgrade?

Cincykid
Cincykid Member
I get a server issue trying to update from 37.66 to the latest version and I'm told I need a 390mb download to get current...seems a bit mush, eh?

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    I have no idea why your download is so large.
    DON'T download, for the time being, any of the R40.xx updates.  There's problems with both.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    Cincykid said: I'm told I need a 390mb download to get current...
    that appears to be the download size for the Quicken program package - previous versions are similar in download size -

Download the Latest Update (US Versions)

Download the US Manual Mondo Patch Update (398.74MB)

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cincykid said:
    I get a server issue trying to update from 37.66 to the latest version and I'm told I need a 390mb download to get current...seems a bit mush, eh?
    Is the following your problem?

In case of Patch installation error "Server file failed to load … Index and length …"

please follow instructions here:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/patch-error-unable-check-updates-server-file-failed-load

If the error message is about a file named "wyserver.wys",
    the problem is the Windows User Account name. If your Windows User files are located in a folder named, for example,
    "C:\Users\John Doe\..." (with a blank space between John and Doe)
    you need to create a new Windows User Account with Admin privileges and a name that does not contain a blank space, e.g., "John". Use the new account to install or update Quicken. Afterwards return to using your regular Windows User Account for running Quicken and doing all other work, as usual.

If the user name is not the cause, try to enable and use the hidden Administrator account.
    See https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/enable-the-hidden-administrator-account-on-windows-vista/ how to do that. Supposed to work in all Windows versions.

At your next migration to a new Windows version I recommend changing the username to remove the blank space. It's a holdover from old Windows versions using the obsolete "Documents and Settings" folder structure.

This discussion has been closed.