When Attempting to Use Check Pay, Message Says Payment Account Not Verified

I have been successfully using Quick Pay for a long while and I have only one payment account (my checking account) which is verified!  Today I attempted to enter a manual bill for a one-time payment.  After successfully entering the necessary biller information (biller name, address, amount, etc.), when I get to the final window to Confirm Payment, I get a message that states "Could not initiate payment. Additional information: The payment account is not verified".  
I then went to Bills & Income tab, clicked on the gear icon, selected Payment Accounts, and verified my payment account (checking account) is enabled for both Quick Pay and Check Pay (green checkmarks for each).  I have had zero issues using Quick Pay multiple times each month.  Any solutions to correct this issue trying to use Check Pay?  

Comments

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @carlj07,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to report this issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

If you haven't already, I suggest that you try to Review and Repair Payment Accounts. However, I do recommend that you save a backup of your data file first (just in case). After that, please navigate to the Bills & Income tab and click on the Gear icon on the top-right. Then, click on Review and Repair > Review and Repair Payment Accounts in the dropdown menu.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• carlj07
    carlj07 Member ✭✭✭
    Hello Quicken Anja;

Thanks for the suggestion.  I had already tried that and the result was my account was in sync.  Strangely enough, I had 2 micro-deposits into my checking account this morning - the same as if I was verifying my payment account for the first time.  However, as I said in my first post, my payment account (checking account) is already verified and enabled for Quick Pay and Check Pay (see image below) and there is no way for me to "re-verify" my payment account using the 2 micro-deposits which appeared in my checking account this morning.  

The issue still exists that I cannot make a payment with Check Pay before verifying my payment account.  Any further suggestions would be helpful.  I still have 2 pending Quick Pay payments scheduled, so I don't want to experiment and cause those payments to not occur.  
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    carlj07 said:
    Hello Quicken Anja;

Thanks for the suggestion.  I had already tried that and the result was my account was in sync.  Strangely enough, I had 2 micro-deposits into my checking account this morning - the same as if I was verifying my payment account for the first time.  However, as I said in my first post, my payment account (checking account) is already verified and enabled for Quick Pay and Check Pay (see image below) and there is no way for me to "re-verify" my payment account using the 2 micro-deposits which appeared in my checking account this morning.  

The issue still exists that I cannot make a payment with Check Pay before verifying my payment account.  Any further suggestions would be helpful.  I still have 2 pending Quick Pay payments scheduled, so I don't want to experiment and cause those payments to not occur.  
    Hello @carlj07,     

I am sorry to hear about this issue continuing. Thank you for reaching out again and keeping us informed about what is happening. 

When you open Quicken, what steps are you taking? Do you click on the Quicken icon on your desktop? I am wondering if it is possible that Check Pay has been enabled in another data file. Additionally, where is your current active data file located? You can check this anytime by going to File > Show this file on my computer... in the upper menu at the top of the screen.

I look forward to hearing more from you about this. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • carlj07
    carlj07 Member ✭✭✭
    Good Morning Quicken Jared,

In reply to your questions, I open Quicken by clicking on the desktop icon, which automatically opens my default data file (the only Quicken data file I maintain).  My current active data file is located on my desktop at: This PC > Data (E:) > Quicken > Active Files.  

FYI, the last time I used Check Pay was Feb 2021 - that was a successful transaction.  I have always maintained just one data file in Quicken, however, I did rename my then-active data file about a year ago (I backed up my then-current data file to a new data file with a new name, then restored that new data file back-up and have been using it as my only active data file ever since).  

Hope this info is helpful in your troubleshooting my issue.  I look forward to resolving this issue soon.  
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried this yet?
    • Go to Edit / Preferences / Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts
    • Click the "Sign in as a different user" link on the right side.
    • Sign out, then sign back in to your Quicken account using your existing Quicken ID.
    BTW, is this E: - drive a 2nd internal hard drive or SSD inside the computer or a different partition of the primary internal hard drive? AFAIK, external USB hard drives are not supported.
  • carlj07
    carlj07 Member ✭✭✭
    Hi UKR;

Thanks for the suggestion.  I was going to try your suggestion until I read the last bullet statement that states when I sign out, my "Quick Pay and Check Pay accounts would be disabled and must be set up again".

As I have several Quick Pay payments scheduled, I don't want to create another issue by disabling my payment account before those Quick Pay payments occur.  And besides, it seems odd that Quick Pay works fine using my one and only verified payment account - for whatever reason since I last used Check Pay in Feb 2021, Check Pay no longer recognizes the same payment account as it once did.  

FYI, the (E:) drive is a second internal hard drive on my desktop computer.  
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a new one to me.
    Just to verify I went thru the process of signing out and back in using my current Quicken ID. At first glance, my Bill Manager Payment account still shows enabled, with a valid count of available Quicken Pay and Check Pay transactions. Due to limited (or should I say, non-) usage of this feature I can't verify if making a Check Pay payment still works or not.
    I think it might be better if you continued to work with @""Quicken Jared" or Quicken Support on this issue. Hope they can find a solution for you.
  • carlj07
    carlj07 Member ✭✭✭
    Issue resolved! 

A couple of days passed with no more suggestions from the Quicken moderators, so I decided to do my own further troubleshooting on this issue with hopes I wouldn't somehow make the issue worse or complicate it somehow.  Basically, I was going to disable my payment account for Quicken Bill Manager, then re-enable it and see what happened. 

First, I canceled the 2 pending future Quick Pay payments I had previously scheduled a few weeks earlier (I did this to preclude any possibility of complicating the issue by disabling and enabling Quick Pay with pending future Quick Pay payments existing).  

Second, I disabled my Quicken payment account:  Bills & Income Tab > Gear Icon (top right) > Payment Accounts > Disable.  

Third, I set up my payment account again using the same checking account I was using previously:  Bills & Income Tab > Gear Icon (top right) > Payment Accounts > Enable. 

I was pleasantly surprised after completing the Payment Account Setup that Quick Pay was immediately enabled as was indicated by the green checkmark in the column "Enabled For Quick Pay".  Now the "Enabled for Check Pay" column had a Verify button in place of the green checkmark which existed previously as I posted in my May 6 post.  The next morning (this morning) I had 2 new micro-deposits from Quicken to verify my payment account and enable Check Pay once again (it's interesting to note - reference my May 6 post - that the first 2 micro-deposits I received on May 8 were not valid for this verification.  I had to wait for the new micro-deposits into my payment account to post to successfully enable Check Pay).  

While waiting for the micro-deposits to post for my Check Pay payment account verification, I was able to resubmit and schedule my 2 previously canceled Quick Pay payments successfully.  And after I received the 2 micro-deposits and completed the Check Pay verification in Quicken, I was able to successfully submit a Check Pay payment.  

Quicken - take note!  For whatever reason that caused this issue, it appears there is a disconnect between the Quicken servers and the Quicken software to accurately display the correct and current status of Quicken Payment Accounts.  As I stated in my May 6 post, Review And Repair Payment Accounts always showed my Payment Account was in sync with the Quicken servers and there were green checkmarks in the "Enabled For Quick Pay" and "Enabled for Check Pay" column.  This anomaly I experienced only affected Check Pay and not Quick Pay, both using the same payment account.  For whatever reason, the Quicken server needed to verify/re-verify the Check Pay payment account when I attempted to use Check Pay (after a lengthy period of non-use of Check Pay).  Unless the green checkmark in the "Enabled for Check Pay" column is replaced with Verify, there was no way to accomplish the verification/re-verification without taking the steps I outlined above.  Had the Quicken server been able to change the Check Pay green checkmark to Verify when this issue first occurred, I probably could have used the first 2 Quicken micro-deposits I received on May 8 and the problem would have been solved that much sooner.  
This discussion has been closed.