Backup Error Message

Options
jeffbeck
jeffbeck Member
I keep getting a message reading: can not open the data file because it is in use by another program such as a cloud storage backup. Please close that application or turn off cloud storage sync and try again. I have turned of the sync but still getting the message. any help would be appreciated.

Best Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Dropbox is the reason you're getting those messages.  Whenever you take a backup, Q closes the data file to force all write operations to conclusion and then re-opens it for the actual backup.
    Dropbox is grabbing the file for that instant that it's closed and so Q can't get it.
    Move your Q data file to C:\Users\-- Your User name --\Documents\Quicken and only backup to Dropbox.
    BTW, storing your data file on any online service is dangerous as the first time your connection hiccups while you're doing a save to Q, your data file will probably become irretrievable toast.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022 Answer ✓
    Options
    jeffbeck said:
    The q data file that is currently loading is on Dropbox. I have been saving backups to both dropbox and a local data drive. I get the message whenever I try to back up the data file. I typically use the control b command but tried to use the ribbon as well.
    I suggest you access the Quicken file in a folder on an internal drive and not allow other programs to access the Quicken file at the same time (for example, Dropbox).

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Where is your Q data file located? And what are you doing when you get this message?

• jeffbeck
    jeffbeck Member
    Options
    The q data file that is currently loading is on Dropbox. I have been saving backups to both dropbox and a local data drive. I get the message whenever I try to back up the data file. I typically use the control b command but tried to use the ribbon as well.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Dropbox is the reason you're getting those messages.  Whenever you take a backup, Q closes the data file to force all write operations to conclusion and then re-opens it for the actual backup.
    Dropbox is grabbing the file for that instant that it's closed and so Q can't get it.
    Move your Q data file to C:\Users\-- Your User name --\Documents\Quicken and only backup to Dropbox.
    BTW, storing your data file on any online service is dangerous as the first time your connection hiccups while you're doing a save to Q, your data file will probably become irretrievable toast.

• jeffbeck
    jeffbeck Member
    Options
    I was using the dropbox for quite some time as a way to keep a way to pick up where I left off on one machine and pick it back up on another. This only started happening in the last couple of weeks. I guess the best way going forward is to back up locally and copy it to dropbox.

Thanks,
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When I was traveling all the time on business,  the last thing that I'd do before leaving was to backup Q to a USB drive and then Restore to the machine at the work location ... reversing the procedure when I headed home.
    Worked well, and guaranteed that I had a Q backup with me almost all the time.

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022 Answer ✓
    Options
    jeffbeck said:
    I suggest you access the Quicken file in a folder on an internal drive and not allow other programs to access the Quicken file at the same time (for example, Dropbox).
This discussion has been closed.