Auto Category for multiple transaction amounts from One Bank

Enhancement request for re-occurring transaction. I have 12 biweekly transaction that are withdrawn by the same Bank but different amounts that go into different accounts. Quicken is unable to auto categorize for me because it only allows 1 auto categorize by the same bank. So I have to manually categorize each one of these transaction bi-weekly. I would need Quicken to recognize the Bank Name and the particular amount and then auto categorize into the account by name and account
Tagged:

Comments

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Leopold_Butters

Can you please provide some additional information that will help us to understand the issues you are having?

Are these "12 biweekly payments" that you bank is making "automatic payments" that you've set-up on your bank's website or if not, how does this process work.  When you download these transactions, does the bank send payment details for each? 

You said "Quicken is unable to auto categorize for me because it only allows 1 auto categorize by the same bank." - can you explain this with some more details, because my understanding is that no such limit exists.

Get back to us and we'll go from there.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I think I sort of understand what is going on.

Each of these transactions are withdraws that all have the same payee, maybe something like "Withdraw".
    Since Quicken's renaming rules/memorized payees are global, you can't have different ones for different accounts.

Normally the workaround would be that you have reminders setup for each of these and Quicken matches the transaction in the register based on the amount and therefore get the right category.  But the amounts vary, so the matching will not work.

There use to be a suggestion that what was needed is to be able to have a field in the renaming rule where it can be restricted to one or more accounts.  Once that is done you can then then have memorized payees based on the different payees you would have for different accounts, and get the category you want.

But I can't find that suggestion.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Leopold_Butters
    Leopold_Butters Member ✭✭
    I would be willing to talk and work with the development team about this as I am still manually assigning this still. I been doing this process for years and have submitted a few requests as feature enhancement and would love this feature added. It has been a pain point for years for me and as I keep adding more accounts it creates more work.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @Leopold_Butters,

Could you provide more specific information (as I requested above) so that we can understand exactly what is happening? If you provide additional information we may be able to help you.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Leopold_Butters
    Leopold_Butters Member ✭✭
    I have multiple Sallie Mae Smarty Pig saving account that takes with drawls from one of my accounts bi-weekly and put dollars into multiple different savings accounts that I can name. For example,

Format of transaction looks like this.
    From = Sallie Mae – Differen Saving Accounts setup in Quicken – variable dollar amount for each account.

Sallie Mae:Travel $100
    Sallie Mae: Insurance $80
    Sallie Mae: Car savings $150

Do this for 14 or more different types of savings accounts. The problem is Quicken just see Sallie Mae and it you ask Quicken to memorize the payee it will take the first one you select and apply the amount to the same savings account. I would like Quicken to memorize the Sallie Mae along with the account and the amount, so I do not have to manually set the savings account.