Great Lakes Ed not working

Options
brewder
brewder Member ✭✭
Hello - for whatever reason, Quicken recently stopped downloading updates for a student loan I'm tracking. I removed it, and tried setting it up again. I can see the loan I want during the setup process, but it keeps saying the account type is "unknown". It's been MONTHS now and at least 2 updates to quicken and it's still not working.

What gives?
Version R40.21 on Windows..

Comments

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Options
    Hello @brewder,

Thank you for contacting the Quicken Community, though I do apologize that you are also experiencing this error. 

First, I suggest creating a test file and adding the Great Lakes Ed account(s) to see if it produces the same error message. It is recommended to save a backup before proceeding with troubleshooting steps in the event that you would like to return to your original starting position. Below are instructions on how to create a test file:
    1. Choose File menu > New Quicken File.

Advanced Data File Troubleshooting to Correct Problems With Quicken for Windows

1. Select New Quicken File.

1. Click OK.
    2. In the File name field, enter the name of the new file, then click Save. Use a name like "Test File" to tell it apart from your main file. 

Don't use any of these characters: * ? < > | " : \ / (asterisk, question mark, left and right-angle bracket, pipe, straight quotation marks, colon, BACKSLASH, FORWARD SLASH). Also, don't add the .qdf extension; Quicken does that for you.

1. Sign in with your Quicken ID. If you are prompted to create a Quicken ID but already have one, click Sign In under the Create Account prompt. 

1. Select to not use Mobile.
    2. Click Add Account to start adding accounts to the new file.

After adding accounts, see if you are experiencing the same problems in this test file. 

Please let me know how this goes, I look forward to hearing your response. 

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• brewder
    brewder Member ✭✭
    Options
    Well... in the test file, now I see ALL of my loans with Great Lakes... those with balances and those without. So this is exactly what I need! Now how do I correct my EXISTING Quicken database file?
  • Quicken Jasmine
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Hello @brewder

I am happy to hear that you were able to see all of your loans with Great Lakes Ed in the test file. 

Next, I suggest restoring from a backup that was created before you began trying to add your loans or before you noticed the error occurring when trying to add your loans. You may follow this link for more information regarding restoring from backups. Please remember that it is recommended to save a backup before proceeding (just in case). After restoring from a backup, you may proceed with trying to add the loans to your active file again.

Let me know how it goes!

-Quicken Jasmine

• brewder
    brewder Member ✭✭
    Options
    It stopped working WEEKS ago.. I have hundreds of entries across multiple accounts.. There's no way I can restore from that far back...
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Options
    Hello @brewder

We can try some other options, however, if these do not work then restoring from a backup would be the solution or if these do not work, then you could always keep the loan activated in the test file and switch back and forth between data sets. 

Next, I suggest that you please try validating and/or super validating your data file. However, I do recommend that you first save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

Validate
    1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    If the issue persists, proceed to Super Validate. If the issue is resolved after performing validation, then please disregard the instructions to Super Validate.

Super Validate:
    1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    Then you will attempt to re-add the loan again. 

Let me know how it goes!

-Quicken Jasmine

• brewder
    brewder Member ✭✭
    Options
    sigh.. super validate did nothing. ugh.. this shouldn't be so difficult. I have 21 accounts in Quicken. it's not possible to restore from 2-3 months ago, then re-create many of those transactions which are done manually.
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Options
    Hello @brewder

In that case then next, I suggest that you try creating a copy of your data file which will rebuild all of the internal lists and database tables. If successful, you would then move forward with the copied file. To create a copy, please navigate to File > Copy or Backup File... > Create a copy or template (see examples below) which will also allow you to select a date range to move forward with.

If you wish to move forward with your entire data file, please check the full date range of your entire data file before copying so you can enter the correct date range if you do not wish to "shrink" your file by eliminating certain dates.

However, it's important to know that doing so will disconnect all online services in the copied file and you will need to sign back in with your Quicken ID and reconnect all of your online accounts, online billers, Quicken Bill Manager services, etc if you plan to use that copied file going forward. The reason for this is that the new copy also creates a new and separate dataset ID.

If the issue is not resolved in the copied file either, then feel free to switch back to your original file.

Let me know how it goes!

-Quicken Jasmine

• brewder
    brewder Member ✭✭
    Options
    This was very promising. I re-linked the first 8 accounts and it was going perfect. On number 9 Quicken just hangs (gray screen)... I use task manager to kill Quicken and re-start, and it hangs again re-activating my 9th account. I'm going to keep hacking at it, but this software for sure has some bugs.
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Options
    Hello @brewder

Thank you for updating me, I am glad to hear that you were on the right track to reconnecting your accounts!

Please let me know how it goes so we may troubleshoot further if needed!

-Quicken Jasmine

• brewder
    brewder Member ✭✭
    Options
    Well.. now I cannot add some of my retirement accounts (AIG Retirement Services). It keeps telling me: "Sorry. We encountered an error. (It's not your fault)."

Getting this error re-linking the account now for 2 days. Suggestions?
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Options
    Hello @brewder

I do apologize that you are experiencing this new error with your AIG Retirement Services account(s).

We do currently have an Ongoing Active Alert regarding online banking errors with AIG Retirement Services. You may follow this link to access that alert and you may bookmark it in order to remain up to date on any new information, ETAS, or resolutions that may occur.

We truly appreciate your patience and support as we work towards resolving this issue. 

-Quicken Jasmine

• brewder
    brewder Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for sharing that... I guess at least it's good to know it's not just me...
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Options
    Hello @brewder

You are very welcome. 

Please do not hesitate to reach out with any further questions or concerns!

-Quicken Jasmine

This discussion has been closed.