Schawb/EWC+ How is information to be downloaded obtained?

Tom Young
Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
A post by Schwab on their site, back at the time of the conversion from DC to EWC+, claimed that the information gathering process wouldn't be screen scraping, but didn't provide any indication as to how that information would be obtained.
I assume Schwab isn't doing any "compiling" on their end à la Direct Connect, but that Schwab is allowing Quicken (and, I guess any other aggregator using EWC+) some "deeper" connection into their system which should produce less errors than screen scraping.  Does anyone have any insights here?
Starting in late April I started a list of Schwab download problems I've encountered
and the errors - mainly omission of transactions - seems pretty random, though the 5/9/22 error regarding my balance of Schwab Value Advantage in one account suggests somebody (Quicken???) doesn't really understand Schwab's processing of transactions.

Somewhat as an aside, I thought that comparisons of number of shares per the FI to the number of shares per Quicken occurred with each DC download - I might be wrong about that - but now it seems like the Securities Comparison Mismatch is being done only once in a while, meaning I'm picking up transaction omissions that are as much as 45 days old.  Is this in Quicken's control, and can the comparisons be done more frequently?

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Express Web Connect + is Express Web Connect with a "known protocol (FDX)" between the aggregator (Intuit in this case) and the financial institution.  FDX is more secure because of instead of using your username/password it uses a rotating token (https://financialdataexchange.org/FDX/About/FDX_US_FAQ.aspx) .  Other than that, it is the same as Express Web Connect.  Schwab is a bit special because there are very few financial institutions that are using Express Web Connect for investment accounts (and as such is not as "time tested" as Direct Connect is).  And the main other difference between Direct Connect and Express Web Connect is how many "parties" it goes through.

Express Web Connect (and +) flow:
    Quicken -> QCS (Quicken cloud services as in the Quicken cloud dataset, this is the same as "Sync to Mobile/Web) -> Intuit server -> financial institution

Direct Connect flow:
    Quicken -> financial institution's OFX server

So, in the case of Express Web Connect (and +) the method of Intuit connecting to the financial institution is only one part of the overall flow, there is multiple connections, there is the converting of that format back into what Quicken can use, there is syncing between the Quicken data file and the Quicken Cloud dataset, ...
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.