Can't Sign In to Quicken from Macintosh but can from Windows

Options
David Stempnakowski
David Stempnakowski Member ✭✭✭
Since 10 May I have not been able to access Quicken (the app keeps giving me invalid credentials), nor the Quicken website or the forums via any macOS computer. I can change my password all day long without a problem. I'm writing this from a Windows 11 system from which I am able to access everything. I'm a consultant and travel and so at the moment, I happen to be sitting in Germany. I have tried to access it with and without a VPN. I have spoken numerous times with Quicken support (who have also informed me they do not support using Quicken with a VPN(!!!)). They have also suggested I try changing my password only using letters and numbers (!!!).

I have tried uninstalling Quicken on the Macintosh and then reinstalling but I cannot get past the setup screen as I keep receiving invalid credentials (which are the same ones I just used to connect via a Windows 11 laptop). I also cannot sign in to any Quicken site using those credentials on a Mac, yet I have no problems from Windows.

If anyone in the community has a suggestion I'm open to almost anything. At the moment, I'm testing Banktivity. I have used Quicken since 1989 so I would hate to have to switch, but if I can't use it when I am traveling it becomes almost useless.

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    I'm confused. You're saying you can't access this forum via your Mac? That would seem to clearly indicate your connectivity issue isn't specific to the Quicken Mac application, since this is a browser-based website. And this website isn't even running on Quicken's servers; it's a cloud-based platform called Vanilla Forums, although your login is tied to your Quicken ID. There are many users of this forum in countries outside the US and Canada. My guess is there's some issue with your network connection on the Mac which is different than your Windows machine. Can you log into your banks, credit cards and brokerages successfully? I'm wondering if you have a problem logging into any other site if you'd possibly get a more descriptive reason for whatever is blocking you. Unfortunately, I don't know what to suggest you change in your network or security settings to get your Mac working smoothly from your location. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • David Stempnakowski
    Options
    @jacobs, thanks for your response. So you begin to see my confusion as well. I do not use Quicken on the web, I use the Windows and Mac applications. Both apps periodically check your subscription and Quicken ID credentials with Quicken's servers. 

For about a week, on both systems, I was being prompted for my Quicken ID login credentials. AfterI would enter them I would receive back "Invalid Credentials." However, I was able to click on forgot password and change my password successfully with the system. If I then tried to authenticate with those new credentials I would get the same error. 

I can access all my financial institutions via a web browser on both my Windows 11 and Macintosh systems. Yesterday, Quicken successfully authenticated on my Windows 11 system, and I was able to open my Quicken file and download transactions. I'm still having an issue with the Macintosh. 

All systems are physically and logically connected through the same L3 switch to the router, which is connected to a VDSL modem.

When I tried to log in to the Quicken site to access my account and re-download the application, I got the same authentication error. The same happened when I tried to access this forum. Once my Windows Quicken began working from the PC, I checked the other web-based accounts and was also able to authenticate from them. When I tried to access it from the Mac, I still received invalid credentials, even though they just worked from Windows.

I hope this helps clarify.
  • David Stempnakowski
    Options
    Just a quick update. As of this morning, I was able to connect via the Mac and authenticate within the Quicken app. This problem occurred on multiple Macintosh systems and now they are all able to launch Quicken, open a data file, and connect.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    Well, that's mighty puzzling, but I'm glad whatever mysteriously wasn't working now is. The fact that you couldn't log into Quicken.com or this forum from the Mac only tells us the problem wasn't with the Quicken Mac application, but with the Mac and/or Quicken's authentication system. Hopefully, you won't ever need to dig into this again to try to unravel the mystery! ;)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ISTR reading various discussions here in the Community about invalid credentials.
    One thing mentioned was that there appears to be a lockout timer of something like 4 hours if you attempt to logon to the Quicken ID multiple times in succession. So, yes, if you let it simmer overnight without additional logon attempts, the timer should have expired and let you in.
    Someone from Quicken should be able to explain this better than I can do.
This discussion has been closed.